Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I got texts this week responding to two of my ads, from three different numbers, all with the same language adding $50 to "hold in my favor". Annoying...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Yes, there are more people than have posted in this thread.
A number of people have sent me screen captures of texts they got with numbers to add to the scammer list in the first post.
If anyone is reading this, feel free to email me directly if you do not want to post here.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I got the same text from 708-492-8946 today. Said they would add an extra $50 to the prices for some parts I have up for sale. They asked for my full name and address to send a cashier's check to.

Its crazy because I had received the account info request, the donation one and now this one. All three.

Im sure there are a lot of other members getting the same texts and not posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

It sounds similar to other reported requests in this thread and sent to my email but I haven't heard that exact thing from others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
appalachianair&water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I have received a few texts from the number 708-492-8946 regarding some of my classified ads, the messages just read the copied title/price from my ads and "Still up for sale?" I got 5 from that number today all right after another and a few from a different number I didn't copy yesterday. I have seen very similar scam texts from Craigslist so I was skeptical but did respond with "yes" to the messages yesterday to see what they would say next. They responded with great, they would add and extra $50 to the prices and asked for my full name and address info to send a cashier's check to. Very fishy sounding, so I just deleted the messages. Just wanted to get it out there to see if anyone else had similar messages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

There is a good chance that person is an unwilling participant.
The scammers hire people with "work at home" listings and have them receive the money and forward it on.
They often get screwed too.
MichiganMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I have gotten information from the scammers on where to send the money, Donna Burney <exact address removed> at Youngstown, OH. 44509. Lets send the cops there!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

yup...as soon as I posted my ad I got a text - the # it came from is
978-224-5399 - thank you for posting that fake awareness at the top of your website - gave me a heads up! Smile you would think that the person(s) would at least check & notice that the website has a warning about them & maybe move on to something else...just goes to show you how smart they are haha! Rolling Eyes
55oval geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

This is bs these guys belong in jail
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

New Scammer text, asking for donations to cover a new classifieds fee.
THERE IS NO FEE - that is crazy.
Who is going to pay $130?

Sample:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Evil or Very Mad
1967Suze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Posted ad yesterday,got text today...says it's Everett , txt them user name and password....from 13308997393....I didn't even want to screen shot it, much less reply.. Evil or Very Mad
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

+1 (330) 899-7393

got the same text from this one today.

hope no one out there falls for this sorry ass bull shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

draginwagen wrote:
What do you think this guy is trying to accomplish?

Just to get control of ads and try to get a deposit from a buyer?

Yes, they want to take control of older accounts so they can post fake ads.

It's harder to notice when an ad is a scam if it's from a user that's been here for many years.
sean425
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

+1 (330) 899-7393

Another one from today.
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

What do you think this guy is trying to accomplish?

Just to get control of ads and try to get a deposit from a buyer?

Yellowbeard wrote:
I hate people who quote other people...

Slammed2tone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Here is another one to add to the list!
323-504-3608
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

They hit me up on Friday. 330-944-1582
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

thanks Everett you are really managing this site well. If I hear of anything I will send a message as I usually do. thanks again Mike
06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
Restored several 11 window kombi and standard
Current inventory 66 delux hard top, so23
60 ragtop and 61 hard top bugs 54 hardtop bug
67 tin top so42 62 SO10 ruthmann bucket truck
55oval geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

lol nice!!!!!!!! :snipersmile: :2gunfire: Popcorn
Aeiceman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

330-944-1582 texted me last night, same password seeker as above, wanted me to give my email password to match the Samba site. I replied with my name @knoxcountysheriff.org password thinblueline22135, he hasn't replied Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: