Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Sounds good to me - blow up their phone if you have the time

use this for inspiration

Link

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Sounds good to me - blow up their phone if you have the time
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DL West-Wiperguy Premium Member
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I see I'm not the only one who has been getting responses in messenger for item's I have just listed here. I have seen a few numbers on the list correspond with a few I have received. They all start out is this still available? I'm ok with the asking price. I need your full name and address to send check to. I started sending photos back to the number. I have like 5000 photos of stuff I have listed. I respond with are you getting the photos? I will send more if you like. LOL!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Also it's really easy to use a phone number spoofing app.. all these numbers that are reported here may or may not be scammer numbers. They may just be made up phone numbers some scammer came up with at random.. usually (but not always) they are a similar number to your own phone number.
Fuelly MPG and maintenance stats
1641cc | CB cheater cam | H30/31 | 205T SVA | FF oil | everything else stock
FAA A&P
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

PatrickK wrote:
Here's one I got a few days ago. Google searched the number and it's on a couple reporting sites. 509-739-7013

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just got a text last night with almost identical wording.. I told him to add 10% for paypal fee and I had to have the money within two hours or no deal. LOL he wrote back and called me a scammer because paypal fee was 2.9%, and he was going to block me!
I removed my phone number from the listing. Everette is there any way to hide phone numbers? Most honest to goodness buyers will call if they really want to buy something as big as a car, so I hate to remove it entirely but I just don't want to deal with scammers at all hours.
Fuelly MPG and maintenance stats
1641cc | CB cheater cam | H30/31 | 205T SVA | FF oil | everything else stock
FAA A&P
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

The scammers have been texting people with a message and website link that leads to a fake Samba login page:
Text message with a link to a "free" website:

Fake login page on that website

If you look at the address line at the top, this website is NOT from TheSamba.com

It's from "webhostapp.com"

If you enter your username/password on that page, they will steal your account information and use it to post scam ads here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
G Falk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

another scammer in response to one of my ads: 509-739-7013, Offering an "immediate payment via PayPal", and that they "will bear the cost of moving the item". The "item" is a car!
'56 beetle 'vert
'62 sea blue ghia 'vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

A few minutes ago I received a text from [email protected]. It seemed like an unusual conversation and a quick google search led me here. Thanks for posting your troubles, it saved me some hassle.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Yes, this is a very good possibility, thanks for the tip for members

Also "the item" is often a red flag.
rpaitich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Hi Everett,

Use of the word, "advert" in the text alert suggests a UK or African origin.

Ron
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Yes, typical scammer text - I have seen that a few times and there are some similar messages here in the longer scams thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253

The user you mentioned got through the checks on the site and emailed a few people.
You should have gotten a message from the site when they were blocked saying they were a scammer and to ignore any further contact from them

For [email protected], see this post too
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8910657#8910657
Karmann1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts from Sperry Higgins Reply with quote

Asking if my car was still available and wanted to buy my car for his dad and that he a marine officer and can only do emails since leaving any moments for duties and will be on the sea area. But he is able to access email anytime so the quickest payment option if Paypal. Once I get a email from Paypal that the money is in my account and he mention on a second text that he will pay for shipping and wanted me to send $1550 to his shipper via Western Union. I knew this so call Sperry Higgins was a scammer. First of all he send this bogus email that was in spam inbox saying that the money will not be release until I send the $1550. Paypal was notified. Also his email address [email protected] is also a bogus email. BEWARE
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks, that does sound like a standard scammer text I have seen in the past.
Caine975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I got this one today. His response is what seemed sketchy. No attempt to negotiate at all and the way the last couple of sentences go.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AXJoJ5pWIUnOqzMyRCXRjZwp4ICE0uSq
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Another member sent me the PDF used for the "Docusign" document.

It's a scam - The PDF is a single page with a link that goes to a website that was just registered last week.
I did not go to the website link as a safety precaution but I'm guessing they will try to steal any personal information you enter there.

I won't name the exact web site here but it had the name of a major bank as part of the domain name.
(That should be a good enough to compare against anything people receive)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

The purchase agreement sounds strange but:
Docusign is a real business used to sign documents online.
I just used that service last week to sign a document.

They probably didn't send you a real link to docusign though.
Similar to the fake bank/credit card/etc scam emails I get where the links go to scammer web sites
tkfar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

just got one from someone wanting me to sign a purchase agreement on an item I am selling using "docusign" . when I attempted to open this document , I was warned by my computer about a virus alert. REALLY? a purchase agreement on something I was selling?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Leila73 wrote:
Signed up yesterday, got a SPAM text within 24 hours. Is this going to be taken care of?

I can't stop people from texting you.
Don't use a phone # and give your phone # out only on request if you do not want phone contact.
Leila73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Signed up yesterday, got a SPAM text within 24 hours. Is this going to be taken care of?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Apparently this is still going on with the "fake login" stuff

Reported by a user today from 703-662-4434:
Quote:
Hi, I am thesamba admin and noticed a successful sign-in to your thesamba account, from an unrecognized device in another country. If this wasn't you, your account will be among the accounts I will be shutting down that has been sign in from another country device but if you don't want your account with advert to be among the account and advert that will be shut down, send your username with password for us to secure your account with it fast so no one from another country can sign in your account from different country. Everett

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: