Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's Alive!!!coming that is....
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: It's Alive!!!coming that is.... Reply with quote

so I got the upholstery for my car a couple of days ago and I'm really really happy with it,I ended up going with the stock door panels instead of tweed ones,for the most part the seat material is stock with the exception of the tweed fronts,I just couldn't see paying a 1k for the original piping material for the frontsidebut they will look good ,trust me.

the carpet is on the way,square weave oatmeal,yummmm! Very Happy

unfortunately the car is not painted because the front cowel section came at the same time as the interior so it will be cut and welded today and tomorrow after I get back from the auto fair.

but the best part is we fired the motor last night for the 1st time since it was on the bench after being built about 2 years ago and it sounds oh so good,idles at about 8-850 rpm with no tweaking of the timing but it needs to be jetted down on the carbies and be sycnhed also cause they were off a bit but that's to be expexted out of the box.

only thing I noticed was that my distibutor was gyrating back and forth a bit,you could actually see it kind of sway back and forth and this is something I've never seen before. I guess I need to make sure the dizzy is all the way down in the case before I go calling the guy mike who helped me assemble it or could it just be natural due to the "big motor"?

this is the 1st motor bigger than 1641 I've ever had so I don't know,but I trust mike since he builds for racers and is a racer himself and if anybody on the east coast ever needs a performance tranny built just for you let me know because this guy is a genuis! he builds one of a kind trannies based on your specific application,wants and needs. mike is a fabricator for dale earnhardt inc in his day job doing all the fab mods to the teams nascar cars on the windshields and front ends and is a very knowledgable person and I feel privilged to have met him and have him do work for me.

anyways, enough fluffing for now. i'll update my photobucket this weekend from my progress over the past week and a half.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you order you interior from?
nik
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

came from TMI through ISPwest and was a lot cheaper than I had expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paulie walnuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the opinion of quality on the ISP West parts? Some of them seem to be quite affordable...like the dash pads.

Are these dash pads good quality or are they the poor fitting ones I hear so much about?

How about door panels and the Squareback rear cargo mat? I'm about to buy a Square (hopefully tomorrow - Saturday morning) and I would like to place a big order for stuff...but not if it's junk!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulie walnuts wrote:
what is the opinion of quality on the ISP West parts? Some of them seem to be quite affordable...like the dash pads.

I'd give their quality a B+ overall. Some of their window rubbers didn't seem exactly the right size, but it works and looks good. I'd give their customer service an A.

paulie walnuts wrote:
Are these dash pads good quality or are they the poor fitting ones I hear so much about?

Unfortunately, there are no quality aftermarket dashpads. So theirs is the one you've heard about, but it's the only game in town.

paulie walnuts wrote:
How about .... the Squareback rear cargo mat?

I don't have one (yet), but I've heard nothing but good about it.

paulie walnuts wrote:
I'm about to buy a Square (hopefully tomorrow - Saturday morning)

Welcome to the family.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+ customer service from ISPwest.

I have an NOS wrap around dash for my car Twisted Evil so I couldn't tell you how the repops fit but there is a place that will restore your original dashpad if it's in half decent shape,I believe bobnotch has their info or knows of them.

I bought my rubber from WCM direct except for my turn signal and tail light seals which came from ISP,they will need to be set out in the sun to warm up and make pliable but in the long run fit nice.
R.Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Dashes does great work and their prices are not bad considering they fix your OG one and make it look like new with correct color AND texture. Take some digital photos of your dash or armrests and email it to them and ask for an estimate. This won't be exact but it will put you in the ballpark and give you and idea of what you're looking at, but don't forget to figure in shipping cost both ways. Wink

As for rubber, Anthony or Alex are great at ISP West for some of those harder to find pieces.
SBS #5
'54 RHD Swedish 3-fold
'60 L345 Doppelkabine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I talked to mike last night and ha couldn't remember if my dizzy clamp was oe or aftermarket but he said the am's didn't have the right bend in them therefore holding the dizzy up a little and not sitting in the block all the way like it should and causing it to rock back and forth like mine does so it looks like the mystery is solved.

we are going to get together when I get back from LAS VEGAS and adjust the valves tweak the clamp and jet the carbies down before the darlington show so I can show my chassis in the incomplete project class Smile ,not really.we may not get to until after the show but it will be so much easier doing it with the body off still.

tonight I get to sandblast my seat frames and cut the old cowel out of the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: