Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

idle circuit not responding
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

I took filters off 44 HPMX carbs and sprayed starter fluid in 1/2 side. Engine almost died. I did same on 3/4 side and it made no difference. This sides idle screws also make little to no difference when turned in/ out. The transition ports are not exposed and I cleaned idle jets. What would cause starter fluid make no difference? Thanks for your help/ideas!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

Start the engine and let it warm up.
One by one pull the spark plug wires from the 3/4 side of the dist. I bet you have one or two dead cylinders.
Make sure that the spark plug insulators are fully attached to the plugs.

I have had this problem in the past. They should "click" on the plugs something like 5-6 times when correctly connected.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

Does the engine run well at any RPM? Is it just an Idle problem or is the car not drivable? What was the chain of events that led you to do this test? Also check that the plug wires are right.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
pdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

The main thing I noticed is it was idling rough so I cleaned out the idel jets and when tuning idle mixture screws I noticed they did not have much of an affect. I already checked plug wires, replaced plugs, did compression test. also took filter off and watched it idle to make sure fuel was not spilling down throat from somewhere else. and that throttle plates were closing all the way. All was good. I took carb of today to give it a good look through and cleaning. Oh, and fuel PSI is 3.5 and floats at 10mm and 30 mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

Checked sync lately?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

How about a big vacuum leak on the side not responding?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

What's the history on The carbs?
New? New to you? Did you disassemble and clean out before installing?
When you cleaned the jets, did you also blow through the carb?

After chasing plugged idle jets since I got my hpmx 44s (and when I put a set on my wife's 914) I fabbed a set of jet doctors for them both and have been virtually plug free.

Good luck
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

When you spray carb cleaner into the idle jets, does it pass right through? Make sure that you clean out the carbs idle circuits thoroughly. If it still does it, check for vacuum leaks. If no vacuum leaks, throw in some bigger idle jets on that carbs. There is a mythical mindset that says that all throats of the carbs MUST have all the same size jets. In some cases this is a total fallacy. Whether its from carb manufacturing issues, state of engine tune, or other factors, I have seen engines that required different jets in the different throats.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
There is a mythical mindset that says that all throats of the carbs MUST have all the same size jets.

That might be the case, but in general my understanding was tune to the leanest cylinder.

Chances are the op has a clogged idle circuit, or his idle air bleeds are blocked (sometimes the top gaskets do not have holes in them where they should).

If not that then his carbs could be way out of sync, and by that i mean his throttle plate is all the way opened on the offending side. OR a vacuum leak.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

I think that we are all running away from the main question (me included). Why did the starting fluid have no effect on 3 & 4? A couple of things come to mind, a totally closed off set of butterflies - meaning carbs out of sync, Valves tight, ignition issue. No matter how jacked up a carbs jetting might be, starting fluid should change something.
My builds
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

Make sure to replace idle jet o-rings and air/fuel mixture screw o-rings. Even if you have them in place they might be deformed, hardened, cracked and leaking. Tiniest leak will throw off settings.
sdavidg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

Looking for clues on a identical problem I'm having and was wondering if anything new has come up as to what the problem might have been.

I'll run through the suggestions mentioned in the previous posts too.
pdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

Much to my surprise it ended up being the carbs were just out of sync! Once I threw the snail on them and synced them up it became responsive again.
sdavidg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

Glad to hear, I'm leaving towards that too but can't seem to find my snail Crying or Very sad

- Sam
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: idle circuit not responding Reply with quote

that would be should be the first thing done.... then find out why.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: