Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia Reply with quote

According to my wiring diagram.....The wiring in the above photo is not stock . The grey wire shown in the center would/should be brown for stock, Piggy backed coming from emergency flasher. The black hot lead for the brake light should also be coming from the #15 on the E flasher. Not jumped of the fuel gauge as shown. It will work but not factory correct. To sum up, the center wire you are inquiring about needs to ground, piggy backing either off of #31 on E flasher fore mentioned or the speedometer ground.
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
According to my wiring diagram.....The wiring in the above photo is not stock . The grey wire shown in the center would/should be brown for stock, Piggy backed coming from emergency flasher. The black hot lead for the brake light should also be coming from the #15 on the E flasher. Not jumped of the fuel gauge as shown. It will work but not factory correct.

You are correct. The ground should be brown (not grey). Any ground will work. The black wire is key on hot. This can also be picked up from any key on hot line. My photo wasn't meant to stock, just how I did it. There is nothing about this in the wiring diagrams for 68 but wired as in the photo works. I will be changing grey to brown though to be consistent with VWs scheme.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia Reply with quote

Hokie87 wrote:
swavananda wrote:
According to my wiring diagram.....The wiring in the above photo is not stock . The grey wire shown in the center would/should be brown for stock, Piggy backed coming from emergency flasher. The black hot lead for the brake light should also be coming from the #15 on the E flasher. Not jumped of the fuel gauge as shown. It will work but not factory correct.

You are correct. The ground should be brown (not grey). Any ground will work. The black wire is key on hot. This can also be picked up from any key on hot line. My photo wasn't meant to stock, just how I did it. There is nothing about this in the wiring diagrams for 68 but wired as in the photo works. I will be changing grey to brown though to be consistent with VWs scheme.

So in the hopes this helps someone in the future,can you give us the locations of the other two connections?
The earlier emergency flasher switch only had two connections,so the Brown 31 (grey in your case) has nowhere to connect there..and the earlier headlight switch has no 31 terminal either...so I'm assuming it's connected to 31 terminal of the wiper switch?..with the red heading towards the brake switches on the MC?
The late sixties type1 diagram shows it wired exactly like this,with black 15 hot going to fuel gauge,albeit the gauge is in the speedo,not separate like Ghia..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_6869.jpg
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia Reply with quote

fes wrote:

So in the hopes this helps someone in the future,can you give us the locations of the other two connections?

Sure. This is how I hooked it up -- with better pictures. This is not a stock setup for several reasons but it works and will explain the basic idea of the indicator switch. A lot of this is repeated from earlier in this post and other posts but I am repeating it here to put it all in one place.

The 68 would have come with a master cylinder that had three brake light switches and each brake light switch would have had two prongs for electrical connections. However, the master cylinder may have been replaced with the later type that had two brake light switches with each switch having three prongs (as mine was by a PO). This picture shows both types. Three switch type (correct for 68 ) is on the right, two switch type (later model) is on the left:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The grey wire is ground in my pictures but should be a brown wire to follow VWs wiring color scheme. I just have it connected to the mounting screw of the speedometer just out of the picture in the upper left (the same mounting screw also has a green wire with red connector that you can see -- I'll be replacing that with a brown wire and brass connector, too as I finish the wiring). You could use any good ground though. Pin 31 of the wiper switch is ground but I opted for body ground since the wiper switch is hard to reach. If I take out the wiper switch in the future, I'll fix this though.

The black wire is key-on hot and is the power for the push button test. Mine comes from the top right of the fuse box in this picture via the fuel gauge. When the key is on, the fuel gauge works and the brake light indicator test button also works. It could also come from other key-on hot locations such as pin 15 on the flasher relay, pin 30 on the wiper switch, or directly from either of the two leftmost fuse positions on the fuse box (left of the car but right in my picture below). I found jumpering it from the fuel gauge to be both easy and close.

The red wire comes from the brake light switches. Schematics for both master cylinder types are:

Three 2-prong type:

Two 3-prong type:

This is mine with the two 3-prong master cylinder. Again, not stock for a 68 but using the later model master cylinder. Black on the right is key-on hot, red in the middle is to the dash indicator light, black/red on the left is to the brake lights:

My master cylinder had two 2-prong switches so I replaced them with the three prong switches. If this is required, get the German ones -- the Chinese brake switches are useless (personal experience).
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia Reply with quote

Hopefully, this thread will come in handy rewiring my 68. Thanks guys. FWIW, I have the two 2-pin switch setup. Been meaning to dissect this third mystery wire look to see whats underneath. Looks like a PO spliced some wires together.

Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia Reply with quote

By request, a better picture of the MC with the two 3-prong switches.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia Reply with quote

I’m always a day late and a little short.
I just did all of this to my Ghia a few weeks ago and didn’t take a single photo or document anything.
I suck.
I promise I’ll do better.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: warning light for dual circuit brakes - 68 Ghia Reply with quote

Yeah, when I wired mine up... I did exactly what the PO did and splice wires together. Still running the dual 2 prong switches on the master cylinder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: