Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My wife is gonna be mad!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

How about these ...

https://www.appletreeauto.com/SHOCK-TOWER-KIT-8-IN-AC430006-8/

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
How about these ...

https://www.appletreeauto.com/SHOCK-TOWER-KIT-8-IN-AC430006-8/

I like em! I got a patch put on it for now. Maybe next on version 2 I'll go all out. If it's just the shock then I'm not so concerned with it.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
heywebonya wrote:
I do not think master cylinders come with residual valves built in any longer. Why didn't you get a dual master cylinder? I would really consider this upgrade before you install.

X2, dual circuit is the way to go. Wink

See if you can return it and exchange it for a dual circuit.
can you recommend a duel circuit mc?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Dual circuit master cylinders came stock on bugs '67 and up. My '69 has one with the stock remote brake fluid reservoir on the left fender well. I plan to use a reservoir that snaps onto the top of the master cylinder.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
I do not think master cylinders come with residual valves built in any longer. Why didn't you get a dual master cylinder? I would really consider this upgrade before you install.

Bought that same one a month ago and it had one. Empi catalog calls it out in the description... 5psi. They even have the removal in it on the tips and tricks video for their brake conversion.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Dual circuit master cylinders came stock on bugs '67 and up. My '69 has one with the stock remote brake fluid reservoir on the left fender well. I plan to use a reservoir that snaps onto the top of the master cylinder.

The one I ordered is being shipped back and a new dual reservoir is being shipped to me. Thanks.

Last edited by Redneckgearhead on Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Just got an email from Amazon to NOT return the incorrect one. They said to "keep, donate or dispose" of the item as I see fit.

And I received my wheel bearings, seals and king pin washers today from appletree.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Redneckgearhead wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:

The one I ordered is being shipped back and a new dual resevoir is being shipped to me. Thanks.

Redneckgearhead wrote:
Just got an email from Amazon to NOT return the incorrect one. They said to "keep, donate or dispose" of the item as I see fit.

And I received my wheel bearings, seals and king pin washers today from appletree.

So they're letting you keep the single circuit master cylinder and they're shipping you a dual circuit master cylinder ? That's cool. The nice thing about the dual circuit master cylinder is that if you lose front brakes you might still have the rears and vice versa. The reservoir is just the plastic container that sits on top of the master cylinder.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

The dual circuit master cylinder is DEFINITELY a good improvement. But you need to get one of the Volvo plastic dual circuit reservoirs if this is for a rail or fiberglass buggy. It will pop right into the VW dual circuit master cylinder.

For the rusty beam issues...
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=201723975765&&&chn=ps

image courtesy Chirco

Appletree, Chirco and lots of other VW parts suppliers sell these shock tower kits. They make a stock link pin beam into a Warrior beam.

They require welding, and the bushings or roller bearings for the trailing arms need to be removed before welding. If your beam has micarta (kinda like super strong fiberglass) bushings, taking them out will destroy the bushings. Then you'll need to replace them with urethane or delrin bushings. I recommend the urethane bushings.

Some of the kits are designed to cut off the stock towers at the top of the upper beam tube and weld the new towers to the outboard face of the stock towers. That's how the original beam on my Hi Jumper you see in my avatar was done in the 1970s. That beam got replaced after the car did a quadruple endo when flat out in high gear. The replacement beam is also a stock beam with welded on towers, but it has towers that involved cutting the stock towers off and welding the new towers on without any of the stock towers left.

Then you use 8" travel shocks. 10" travel tower kits are available too. If you choose to weld on the lower shock mounts on the stock lower arms, you will get 8" of travel with 8" travel shocks. I use 8" shocks on stock lower arms and get 10" of travel. Some of the kits have the bump stops located so they get in the way of the shock for using the stock lower mounts.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Redneckgearhead wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:

The one I ordered is being shipped back and a new dual resevoir is being shipped to me. Thanks.

Redneckgearhead wrote:

So they're letting you keep the single circuit master cylinder and they're shipping you a dual circuit master cylinder ? That's cool. The nice thing about the dual circuit master cylinder is that if you lose front brakes you might still have the rears and vice versa. The reservoir is just the plastic container that sits on top of the master cylinder.

They refunded my money for the single circuit and yes told me to keep the single. I'm ordering the mc and the reservoir from Apple tree.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Well my buddy may have backed out on his half of the 71. Honestly I'm not upset by it I'll give 300$ for that car and keep it for something... Very Happy
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

I just can't help myself. Brought it home today. If the weather holds out I'll have it torn down for parts tomorrow.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

The color looks like Diamond Blue.

Correction: for 71, should be Marina Blue.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

The 71 was full of spare parts and it looks like someone tore it apart to rebuild. There was baggies of screws with labels in them.

Picked up my master cylinder today and received my reservoir in the mail. Got em put together but honestly I thought I was gonna break it getting them together.

I'm waiting on an adjustor for the front axle so I can adjust the height before I can put the front back together.

Cleaned up the headlight buckets and got em painted and mounted. Gonna wire in a relay so the power going to them doesn't have to go through the switch. The constant rain today has put a damper on me pulling the body off the 71.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Well the rain held off today. Took me longer to find the two bolts hidden in the spare tire well than it did anything else. But I've got the body off and ready to deliver to my buddy and the chassis setting in my shop minus the front suspension.

Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Headlights cleaned and painted and remounted.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

The line coming out the top of the MC just in front of the front rubber hose going to the reservoir, what does it go to? Not my pic but my MC has the same port. Thanks, Scott.

Figured it out thanks!
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Got it back on the front wheels yesterday. Now it's time to start on the rear. Trailing arm conversion, install the 6 rib and maybe stroke the motor, at least a new top end. The former owner says there is a fiberglass body that goes on the rear and is supposed to bring it to me soon.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Started pulling apart the super beetle rear today. Gonna have to decide which transmission to use.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

After a great weekend with friends and family it's time to get my sleep schedule flipped back to work mode (night shift). I got the CV rear torn apart a few nights ago, tonight I tore apart the swing arm in my little buggy. My wife was curious as to why I was gonna tear it apart when in all truthfulness there wasn't anything wrong with it. I just laughed and said "mods are a sickness. I just can't leave it the way it was."

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: