Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My wife is gonna be mad!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

I ordered the trailing arm brackets and some front axle brackets they should be here by the end of the week. The front axle had the roll cage welded to it when I pulled the front axle off I cut the welds. Honestly I wasn't real keen on the idea of welding them back on so I'm gonna bolt it to the front axle tube instead. This weekend I ordered some seats and a seat track from summit after a few too many libations. The wife threatened to block my PayPal account when I'm drinking if I do it again (jokingly of course).
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Pulled apart the spare transmission as I think it's an 091 but it was missing the input shaft when I got it. Pulled the bell housing off and found the gear and snap ring inside and it looks to be in fairly good shape. It appears someone put an 002 bell housing on it as the starter hole is only 2" deep not the typical 2.5 of the 091. Does it require an 091 shaft or an 002 or will any input shaft work? Any idea of the meaning of the scribed marks on the ring gear?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

The brackets got delivered today.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Seats and adjustor from summit racing installed. Hopefully I can get time this weekend to make the jig for the trailing arms.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

The former owner dropped this off today. Not sure what I'm gonna with it yet.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Looks like a new love seat for the front porch.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Looks like a new love seat for the front porch.

Add some chains and it's a great porch swing. Lol
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Had my beautiful wife help me throw the amputated rear on this evening just to get a look at it. I'm not digging it but maybe after I get the wheels back on.

Q13931152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Throw on a one piece Baja hood and you'd really confuse people. Laughing

Honestly though, the amputated back half doesn't look bad at all on there, with a little glass work to blend where the two meet it'd probably look even better.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Q13931152 wrote:
Throw on a one piece Baja hood and you'd really confuse people. Laughing

Honestly though, the amputated back half doesn't look bad at all on there, with a little glass work to blend where the two meet it'd probably look even better.

I like the way you think!
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Redneckgearhead wrote:
Seats and adjustor from summit racing installed. Hopefully I can get time this weekend to make the jig for the trailing arms.

That's their $39.97 seat, right? How do you like it, did you get one of their vinyl covers too? I need to consider something better soon, that looks like a good option!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
Redneckgearhead wrote:

That's their $39.97 seat, right? How do you like it, did you get one of their vinyl covers too? I need to consider something better soon, that looks like a good option!

Yes it is and their 39$ slider bracket. None of the bolt holes had more than one thread in them, no big deal I have taps. No I didn't get the cover, I didn't want anything to soak up water. If the theme of this build was something other than cheap as heck I'd go with a different option, but these are cheap enough and near impossible to wreck.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Redneckgearhead wrote:
If the theme of this build was something other than cheap as heck I'd go with a different option, but these are cheap enough and near impossible to wreck.

They do a pretty good job of wrecking your back though Laughing
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Redneckgearhead wrote:
If the theme of this build was something other than cheap as heck I'd go with a different option, but these are cheap enough and near impossible to wreck.

They do a pretty good job of wrecking your back though Laughing

That's what I'm afraid of. I'll see how it goes.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Whether poly seats wreck your back or are very comfortable depends on who is sitting in the seat. I had them in my Hi Jmuper for years and only 1 person was not comfortable in them. My friend Bob had serious pain from it. He had a pillow that worked great for him behind his lower back, so he kept it with the buggy. Good thing because he was the one who rode there most. I was always pretty comfy in them. Suspension seats are way better for comfort. Just not too good if left out doors. And not so good for the wallet either.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Whether poly seats wreck your back or are very comfortable depends on who is sitting in the seat. I had them in my Hi Jmuper for years and only 1 person was not comfortable in them. My friend Bob had serious pain from it. He had a pillow that worked great for him behind his lower back, so he kept it with the buggy. Good thing because he was the one who rode there most. I was always pretty comfy in them. Suspension seats are way better for comfort. Just not too good if left out doors. And not so good for the wallet either.

We always used them in our drag cars and I never thought them uncomfortable. But In a drag car it's a short trip on smooth pavement.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Redneckgearhead wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

We always used them in our drag cars and I never thought them uncomfortable. But In a drag car it's a short trip on smooth pavement.

Yup! What works in a circle track race car, even for dirt track is also WAY different from offroading.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Ok experts, what year of vw are these from?

Q13931152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My wife is gonna be mad! Reply with quote

Q13931152 wrote:
That makes sense! Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: