Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 convertible Ghia
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

By way of a friend I found a 1959 lowlight convertible for sale on the other side of Canada last fall. Back in early 90s the PO and a friend bought the car here in British Columbia and drove it across Canada to Montreal, Quebec. The car has lived there ever since. Staying indoors through the long winters.

Fairly complete, but wearing L31 Dove Blue for some reason. Not a terrible choice, but not Bernia or Trout Blue either.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by oldbusboy on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

Because this was happening during the winter, there wasn't really an opportunity to get clear photos or video of the car. It was tucked away for the long Quebec winter. I asked as many questions as I could and ultimately felt like it was worth doing.

This is what I saw:

Trevor

Last edited by oldbusboy on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

The price, even with the shipping seemed reasonable in spite of the fact I wasn't seeing the car in person.

I thought about it for a few days.. this car was sitting on a couple VW club pages so I knew my window to buy it was limited.

Finally I decided to go ahead and do it. I wired the money and was now the owner of a 1959 lowlight convertible Ghia. Gulp

Trevor
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

Nice score!!!
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick.

Hey, will you be at HO this year? If so lets catch up.

Trevor
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

HerrLowlight wrote:
By way of a friend I found a 1959 lowlight convertible for sale on the other side of Canada last fall. Originally the PO and a friend bought the car here in British Columbia and drove it across Canada to Montreal, Quebec. The car has lived there ever since. Staying indoors through the long winters.

Fairly complete, but wearing L31 Dove Blue for some reason. Not a terrible choice, but not Bernia or Trout Blue either.

Nice Cool Whats your plans? Drive as is or restore? See you at H.O. Smile
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

HerrLowlight wrote:
Thanks Patrick.

Hey, will you be at HO this year? If so lets catch up.

Trevor

Yes, I will be in HO. Lets get a drink. Good idea!!
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

V nice. More photos please when you can.
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:
HerrLowlight wrote:
By way of a friend I found a 1959 lowlight convertible for sale on the other side of Canada last fall. Originally the PO and a friend bought the car here in British Columbia and drove it across Canada to Montreal, Quebec. The car has lived there ever since. Staying indoors through the long winters.

Nice Cool Whats your plans? Drive as is or restore? See you at H.O. Smile

Hi Russ,

After getting it home and taking a close look I'd like to make it a original as possible mechanically and get it back on the road. I don't think I'll be replacing the colour as much as I'd prefer to. In addition to the wrong motor it needs a new roof and interior as well, so there is lots to do.

Trevor
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

I looked around and found a company called Livingston International. They would collect the car and transport the car via train. Seemed very straightforward. Depending on collection date transport would take roughly 14 days. Not terrible for 5000 km.

Everything hinged on the weather in Quebec.

Luckily a window of non-blizzard like weather happened and the car was collected.

Trevor

Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

Congratulations Trevor. She's a beauty.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

Cool! I always thought dove blue looked great on the ghia, there is a picture of another vert in a flat 4 book that is in dove blue. Congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

Yep I'd just paint those rim inners a light grey and add the beauty rings...good to go Smile

Great find.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

After 4 weeks I got a call from the shipping company that the car had arrived. I think there was a delay in transferring the car in Montreal, so it sat in a yard waiting for an opening to head West.

It was slightly nerve wracking waiting for them to drive the car out front from the yard. The longer I waited the more I imagined the problems they must be having. Like where is reverse and where is the battery. Eventually the car drove up. Apparently after sitting in the yard in Montreal and the trip across Canada by train the battery was dead, so they had to jump it in the yard.

This is the first time actually seeing the car in person. My first impression was that it was in pretty decent shape, although I seem to have developed a problem where I immediately make a mental note of every issue or incorrect item on the car. Anyway, the paint wasn't bad, although there were a few places that were bubbling and the car had a newer side mirror bolted on and incorrect seats. (see what I mean).

I had intended to hop in and drive the car home.. well, the battery was an issue, but the gas pedal had become detached. I assume from all the shipping folks roaring around the various yards in their giant work boots. Anyway I couldn't figure out a way to get things back together suitably enough to hit traffic. So I called for a flat deck.

Not how I imagined my first drive. Still pretty happy with the purchase. Now to fix that mirror!

Trevor

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

That mirror is OG from a '66 to '67. Its not all that common. Don't throw it out. Cool .
Nice to see you have the car home. I had similar evidence of heavy handedness when my Ghia arrived. It got tied down with a rope over the painted bumper covers crushing those and a slow leak in a tyre slackened the same ropes allowing it to rock back and forth on the ship smashing its headlight (chrome and bucket) on something just inches away.

You've done well with just those minor problems. Congratulations!

Nicholas
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
That mirror is OG from a '66 to '67. Its not all that common. Don't throw it out. Cool .
Nice to see you have the car home. I had similar evidence of heavy handedness when my Ghia arrived. It got tied down with a rope over the painted bumper covers crushing those and a slow leak in a tyre slackened the same ropes allowing it to rock back and forth on the ship smashing its headlight (chrome and bucket) on something just inches away.

You've done well with just those minor problems. Congratulations!

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

I'll look in the spare parts box. It may still be around.

Trevor
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

For what seemed like an eternity I finally got this car across Canada and into my garage. At least 3 trucks and 1 train later here it is:

With the roof down. Those seats need to go and the bumper needs some adjustments!!

Trevor

oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

I wanted to get the wheels sorted out. So I took them to be stripped and then powder coated. They look so much better now!

Trevor

oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

After powder coating we painted the centres with L87 Pearl White. Depending on the lighting they look a little grey, but they are the right colour.

Trevor

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 convertible Ghia Reply with quote

looks very nice, good work. Keep an eye on the lug nuts for the first 100 miles or so, re-torque as needed.
1st Dove blue lowlight I have seen. Love to see more interior pics. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: