Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a seal here?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

Just removed my manifold and looking in it looks like the old seal is still there? Am I correct? Or is that part of the head.

Do I need to pick this out before putting new seal in?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

I haven't worked on a single port before, but that looks like a copper "O" ring that crushes when you tighten down on it.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

Yes, it's copper pick it out and replace it
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

They are not always copper here's a few new ones. Look at the new one and notice how it's made, place the open side facing down. Inspect the contact area of intake manifold and lightly polish with 400 Emory paper for a good seal and you may install this seal slightly wet with sealant like aviation permatex Perfect seal no leaks Very Happy
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking.

Any tips on how to get it out. Pick the only way? I moved on to other stuff while I waited for a response.

Much appreciated.

Got some seized up tin screws to drill out which really sucks.

Figured out a few issues while dismantling stuff back there though. Should run much nicer when back together..................I hope. Smile

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

New2me69 wrote:
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking.

Any tips on how to get it out. Pick the only way? I moved on to other stuff while I waited for a response.

Much appreciated.

Got some seized up tin screws to drill out which really sucks.

Figured out a few issues while dismantling stuff back there though. Should run much nicer when back together..................I hope. Smile

I just did this yesterday! Those tin screws are hardened steel, and not fun to drill out. If there is any of the screw threads sticking out the back side of the tin, what worked for me was to grind two flats on either side of the remaining screw threads so that you can get some vicegrips to grab on. Then I heated the broken tin screw and surrounding metal, and slowly worked, tightening and untightening the broken tin screw, until it broke loose and unscrewed. No drilling required.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
They are not always copper here's a few new ones. Look at the new one and notice how it's made, place the open side facing down. Inspect the contact area of intake manifold and lightly polish with 400 Emory paper for a good seal and you may install this seal slightly wet with sealant like aviation permatex Perfect seal no leaks Very Happy

I thought the seals faced up when you install them?
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
I thought the seals faced up when you install them?

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
...Look at the new one and notice how it's made, place the open side facing down...

He's talking about the "seam" (or splice) of the squish seal ring I guess...
It should face down towards the cylinder head.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

Pry it up w/ a small flat blade screwdriver, dental pick, etc.
Do not hammer on it.

New2me69 wrote:
...... Any tips on how to get it out. Pick the only way?

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

If you have a feeler gauge, you could use one of the blades to slip under one side of the old seal and get it started.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
If you have a feeler gauge, you could use one of the blades to slip under one side of the old seal and get it started.

What VW owner doesn't have a $%&#$%^&$# feeler gauge ?

How the #$^&$$^%&*$$ would they adjust the @$^*^%##%&#@ valves otherwise ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

keep all the dirt&grit outa there too.it's a intake crush gasket, not a oil seal.
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
keep all the dirt&grit outa there too.it's a intake crush gasket, not a oil seal.

For sure. I know that one. Doing the absolute best I can there for sure.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

Wasn't sure how new school or old school he was. Not much use for a feeler gauge on new engines today. And based on some of the questions on this forum, I'd bet there are some VW owners that don't! Shocked

New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Cusser wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

Wasn't sure how new school or old school he was. Not much use for a feeler gauge on new engines today. And based on some of the questions on this forum, I'd bet there are some VW owners that don't! Shocked

Smile

I have gauges. My valves get adjusted. Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

This works well
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a seal here? Reply with quote

Harbor Freight sells a kit of four little pullers for about $3.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: