Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Mystery
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Wiring Mystery Reply with quote

Hey all.

So this all started this morning. I went into the van and it sounded like the ignition was on.. I could hear that humming sound and the oxs and other lighs were on but there was no key in. I turned it on and drove it around all day with no issue. I did notice that the turn signals were not sounding the same when in use. The turn signal light would either flash really fast or just stay solid.

Here is a video I took of the signal issue.

Link

Any thoughts?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Mystery Reply with quote

I have not had the exact same symptoms as you, but when my turn signals and lights started to act up and not work properly it turned out to be the ground connections under the dash by the fuse panel. There is a round connector that sort of looks like a flower with petals screwed to the body. Several ground wires are hooked up to it by the petals. Clean the connections and make sure they are tight, then see what happens.

Hans
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Mystery Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
I have not had the exact same symptoms as you, but when my turn signals and lights started to act up and not work properly it turned out to be the ground connections under the dash by the fuse panel. There is a round connector that sort of looks like a flower with petals screwed to the body. Several ground wires are hooked up to it by the petals. Clean the connections and make sure they are tight, then see what happens.
Hans

The round connector is called the "Star Ground". It is basically a multi-connector so that they could put a lot of the electrical grounds in one spot. There are two of them mounted up behind the wires in front of the drivers door and you need to stick your head under the dash to see them.
Disconnect the battery when you go looking for them as you need to move wires out of the way and if you have any wiring problem you can cause a "short" and melt some insulation possibly causing a fire.

If they look like this you need to clean them!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The electrical connection to the body is made by the raised bumps on the back of the star grounds so you really need to remove them to clean them.

It's easy to clean the outside of the terminals,

but the biggest area of contact is on the inside and one way to get that clean is using the small rotary wire wheel on a Dremel Tool to fit into between the two spring tabs that hold the terminals on the flat spade of the star ground.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Mystery Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the responses. Odd thing is that I cleaned my grounds about 3 mths ago and replaced all the terminal connections. I will pop it open and see what's going on in there. Could it possibly be a bad relay?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Mystery Reply with quote

Check your ignition switch underneath the cowling around the steering column.
It will be the white plastic one at the bottom of the key cylinder.

Grounds, for the most part stop things from working. (With the title being what it is it seemed like a good place to put the photos since I just did it!)

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Mystery Reply with quote

Big clue:
hogan029 wrote:
Hey all.

So this all started this morning. I went into the van and it sounded like the ignition was on.. I could hear that humming sound and the oxs and other lighs were on but there was no key in.

Change the ignition switch - I bet the shaped hole in the plastic has worn as so many do.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Mystery Reply with quote

I will give it an old college try and report back
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Mystery Reply with quote

If you get another switch you can unplug the harness connector from the old one without removing the old switch. Then plug the harness into the new switch while the new switch is in your hand. Then use a flat screwdriver to operate the new switch. This will quickly demonstrate if the new switch is likely to fix the symptoms.

Every van should carry a new switch in the glovebox so it can be hooked up in this way in a pinch. If your switch should die on the road you can hook the spare up in 1 minute and be on your way. The only tools needed are a flat screwdriver and a phillips screwdriver. You still need the key to unlock the steering.

Mark

hogan029 wrote:
I will give it an old college try and report back
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: