Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'65 Charity Case.....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

A few weeks ago a friend gave me a pink slip to his '65 bug which was 80% restored, with the 20% needing assembly. He bought it last April 2016 with the hopes of putting it together with a help hand from me. Cool, right? Hang with a good friend in the man cave wrenching on our cars...... Well, long story short,... he never picked it up. :shock: Jump ahead to 3 weeks ago - He decides to move out of state with no plans with his bug because he had no place to store it at his new home to be. He said "it's probably gone, oh well". :shock: I kindly kept after him to no avail. Then 2 days before he was heading out he just gave it to me. Anyhow, it comes with all the parts to complete it - most are from WW. At some point I'll sell it and give him some of the dividends.

As the car stands it's completely gone through and I mean completely - More on that later.

The first picture where the car has BRMs on it is how it looked when I picked it up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ASSEMBLY - DAY ONE - DOORS

'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

[quote="norcalmike"][quote="Zundfolge1432"]1967[/quote

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Round button handles came out mid-year '66. The handles look like '67 but won't work on '67 because lock cylinder "foot" is 180° opposite.
They will fit US market cars from mid-64 to '66, but of course only correct on late '66..

Got a few in the collection...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/742141.jpg

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Thanks 61SNRF. I'll stick with the correct '65 handles and eventually restore and sell the roundies down the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

It's getting there. Rebuilt the doors & vent windows, detailed the trunk area and dash. Installed a retro sound radio along with the stereo speaker which mounts in the factory location. Installed driving lights, euro bumpers, cleaned up and sorted the wiring, cut down a bus shifter because they are short throws compared to a bug shifter then heat shrinked the shaft to match the rubber floor mats, also did numerous other fiddly odds and ends. Now it's down to just a few more tweaks and Red will be ready to sell.... then onto another project.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

That car looks awesome! Nice work.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

That looks great- and very clean.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

OMG, where's the warning for photo overload??? I'm out of data! Razz
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
OMG, where's the warning for photo overload??? I'm out of data! Razz

I know right? I've been slacking on my journaling on RED, so I blew it out in one shot. Cool

panacean & Pruneman99 Thanks for the kind words and appreciating the German iron.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

You said this was a flip right? I am afraid to ask how much your asking.. That's pretty much exactly what envisioned for my build but I'm nowhere close, or really even started. Pretty much I got my '65 driveable but haven't started the resto.

I just picked up a '64 roller a few weeks ago, and I might work on restoring that, and just keep beating on my '65 "hoodride". It would be kinda a bummer not having a driveable VW, especially now that the weather is cooling off a bit and it's much more pleasant to drive these when it's 80 vs 110 out!
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Here is the last of the details with the suspension and misc undercarriage thingies.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
You said this was a flip right? I am afraid to ask how much your asking.. That's pretty much exactly what envisioned for my build but I'm nowhere close, or really even started. Pretty much I got my '65 driveable but haven't started the resto.

I just picked up a '64 roller a few weeks ago, and I might work on restoring that, and just keep beating on my '65 "hoodride". It would be kinda a bummer not having a driveable VW, especially now that the weather is cooling off a bit and it's much more pleasant to drive these when it's 80 vs 110 out!

PRICE!? The jury is out. I just posted it on ebay and we'll see what the market will dictate. BUILD AND BUY? If you have the coin, the decision is easy. As I know you are aware, if you do one this deep, you may have more into it than it's worth. If you want a solid & sorted one, buy it done, if you like to turn a wrench, stay the course and build what you want. Either way you're good.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Fabulous exterior color and interior upholstery! The first photo of the painted body in the shade appeared to be the 1965 color L456 Ruby Red, but in the light you can see the fine metallic. Will you give your moved-away friend first refusal of the car? Other than the Weber 34ICTs and the 009, what else does the engine have?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

PRICE!? The jury is out. I just posted it on ebay and we'll see what the market will dictate. BUILD AND BUY? If you have the coin, the decision is easy. As I know you are aware, if you do one this deep, you may have more into it than it's worth. If you want a solid & sorted one, buy it done, if you like to turn a wrench, stay the course and build what you want. Either way you're good.

In a perfect world, I would buy your car to drive, and build mine for the enjoyment. But the only time we get to spend 20k on a car, it's for the wife! Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Fabulous exterior color and interior upholstery! The first photo of the painted body in the shade appeared to be the 1965 color L456 Ruby Red, but in the light you can see the fine metallic. Will you give your moved-away friend first refusal of the car? Other than the Weber 34ICTs and the 009, what else does the engine have?

Thanks for the accolades. I'll let the responsible party know. Wink

COLOR: I like it too. It is a metallic and depending on the light sometimes you can see it and sometimes you can't.......

1st REFUSAL: He'd love to have it back, but he needs the coin more than the car.

ENGINE STATS: 1641 Single port heads, Engle 100 cam, Petronix electronic ignition. 12 Volt 55 AMP ALT., Empi breather system plumbed off the valve covers and oil filler.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
cjargo wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

In a perfect world, I would buy your car to drive, and build mine for the enjoyment. But the only time we get to spend 20k on a car, it's for the wife! Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad

Hahahaha. You're preaching to the quire my friend. Don't you think your wife would like a red bug? Chicks dig Bugs especially pretty shinny ones.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

She might actually get in that one, mine.. not so much. Maybe she just doesn't like the driver Rolling Eyes
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

4 bids.. nice.. following on ebay..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: