Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

What's the deal lately? I've been posting photos on here for somewhere around a decade from my Photobucket account. Now lately, every time I try to post any pic from Photobucket on the Samba, I get a message inserted where the picture should show that says "Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view full screen." I have not changed my setting for picture size. I even just re-checked the setting. It's set to fit the pictures within the Samba limit of 800x600.

It's getting real frustrating. Makes me want to stop posting on here to help others. Reminds me of spending an hour and a half on the phone trying to pay my gas bill and they didn't seem to want my money.

Fix:
EverettB wrote:
Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobuc...nfo-dialog
Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fixer

OR (Early 2018 - I have seen some recent complaints about this one)
EverettB wrote:
Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg
Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/?hotlinkfix=1511453725427

OR
Quote:
Google chrome plugin called, "Photobucket Embed Fix". Make sure to delete your cookies and restart Chrome in order for it to work.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj

Firefox has one too

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

I suggest you just use thesamba gallery.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

It always says that, even for pictures hosted elsewhere.

Example of something I posted last week
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This picture is hosted here but it's wider than fits in the Forum screen (for a lot of people) so it gets resized to the default of 700 pixels wide.

There is no limit of 800x600 as you stated, you can link to any size image on Photobucket or here or anywhere.

It is best to post images here and not Photobucket though since there are thousands of old Photobucket images that are dead now because they either quit Photobucket or the links broke (Photobucket issue/changes over time)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

I looked through some of your posts and found this post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8401749#8401749

I see what you mean there, you mean the image is not showing up AT ALL and even the preview is taking a long time to not appear.

This is a Photobucket issue.
It shows up on Photobucket in a new window if you click the dead preview there.

Photobucket must be having some issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I looked through some of your posts and found this post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8401749#8401749

I see what you mean there, you mean the image is not showing up AT ALL and even the preview is taking a long time to not appear.

This is a Photobucket issue.
It shows up on Photobucket in a new window if you click the dead preview there.

Photobucket must be having some issue.

Yep I've noticed this on The Ghia Forum recently with Photobucket images:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676381

Fortunately fewer people seem to using remote hosting and have taken up using The Samba Gallery which is always the best option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

OK, thanks for your response.

Yes, Photobucket was down and out for an 8 count for a few days. This problem existed before that and apparently still does.

So you're saying that images uploaded to Samba are automatically re-sized these days? Years ago, that was not true and was one reason why I have for many years used Photobucket, not to mention that for many years, the links for uploaded photos worked about as well as a stock swingaxle gearbox handles the power from a blown big block V8. They seem to work a lot better these days, most of the time and I've been using uppoaded photos more lately.

But ya know...my Photobucket account has way over 1,500 pictures related to VW stuff. Well over 300 in one file of just my own Baja Bug. I have 110 photos uploaded to Samba. Quite a few of those are pics that I've saved to my own hard drive because I found them interesting or informative. Then I've re-uploaded them because the search engine can't seem to find it's own shadow. But to find a pic that I've uploaded to Samba, I have to scroll through all of my photos because there is NO filing system. Just one file - "My Gallery". They ARE in chronological order of when I uploaded them, and that's it. At least in Photobucket I can file them according to subject matter. If I had all my VW-related photos uploaded to the Samba, it would take a hell of a long time to find any to share in a post unless I JUST uploaded it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
OK, thanks for your response.

Yes, Photobucket was down and out for an 8 count for a few days. This problem existed before that and apparently still does.

So you're saying that images uploaded to Samba are automatically re-sized these days? Years ago, that was not true and was one reason why I have for many years used Photobucket, not to mention that for many years, the links for uploaded photos worked about as well as a stock swingaxle gearbox handles the power from a blown big block V8. They seem to work a lot better these days, most of the time and I've been using uppoaded photos more lately.

But ya know...my Photobucket account has way over 1,500 pictures related to VW stuff. Well over 300 in one file of just my own Baja Bug. I have 110 photos uploaded to Samba. Quite a few of those are pics that I've saved to my own hard drive because I found them interesting or informative. Then I've re-uploaded them because the search engine can't seem to find it's own shadow. But to find a pic that I've uploaded to Samba, I have to scroll through all of my photos because there is NO filing system. Just one file - "My Gallery". They ARE in chronological order of when I uploaded them, and that's it. At least in Photobucket I can file them according to subject matter. If I had all my VW-related photos uploaded to the Samba, it would take a hell of a long time to find any to share in a post unless I JUST uploaded it.

There is a limit on the file size you can upload to The Samba Gallery: 7MB and larger images than 1600 x 1600 pixels with be resized to that size on upload.

As for viewing your Gallery pictures you can set them out in a grid which make an individual picture easier to find... eg... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

There's also a useful feature that identifies the location if you've previously used a picture in a forum topic... eg... just click on the "search forum for picture link" under the picture... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_id=gallerypic&search_keywords=1634272
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

John Moxon covered a bunch of it but here's some more info:
dustymojave wrote:

There are 2 different things related to resizing:
1. What I described above is only the photo being resized for display in the Forums so the Forums don't get stretched - you can still click on the photo to see the full size image - the original photo is not resized.
2. The Samba Gallery has always resized images when uploaded as there has always been a maximum size. As John said, right now, it's 1600x1600 pixels. It's gotten larger over the years.

dustymojave wrote:
Then I've re-uploaded them because the search engine can't seem to find it's own shadow. But to find a pic that I've uploaded to Samba, I have to scroll through all of my photos because there is NO filing system. Just one file - "My Gallery". They ARE in chronological order of when I uploaded them, and that's it. At least in Photobucket I can file them according to subject matter. If I had all my VW-related photos uploaded to the Samba, it would take a hell of a long time to find any to share in a post unless I JUST uploaded it.

You are correct - Here there are no "folders," just one huge "folder" called My Photos.

You can use the search engine to find photos:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php
Put in some text you used and enter your username and it will find it.
I never have trouble finding photos - assuming the person used a good description and I'm searching on what they entered. Obviously it can't find words that someone didn't use.

Here are all your photos:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=dustymojave

Feel free to give me a photo that the search engine can't find and what you searched on and I will check it out if it doesn't bring it up.

I tried one thing you posted as an example - sand sprite
The search brought up 13 images. Search link
I then manually counted how many images in your gallery had Sand Sprite in them and there were 13 images.
KahunaKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

Notice Photobucket has stopped links to photos thus a lot of photos have been replaced with a 3rd Party Hosting message Twisted Evil

To get your photos showing on here or any other of a myriad of Forums around the world you have to pay them for 3rd Party Hosting - Australia is $399.99 per annum Shocked

This has not been announced by Photobucket and seems it's a case of holding people to ransom ...... a lot of informative pictures are no longer visible.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

KahunaKombi wrote:
Notice Photobucket has stopped links to photos thus a lot of photos have been replaced with a 3rd Party Hosting message Twisted Evil

To get your photos showing on here or any other of a myriad of Forums around the world you have to pay them for 3rd Party Hosting - Australia is $399.99 per annum Shocked

This has not been announced by Photobucket and seems it's a case of holding people to ransom ...... a lot of informative pictures are no longer visible.

Yes 2 pages of discussion on it in this "Off Topic" thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
KahunaKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Very Happy
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

As with anything you are "forced" to pay to use, give it time and there will be a work around.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=photobucket+fix&hotlinkfix=1509398927338

I've been using these add-ons for a while now. I guess they work. I haven't seen the Photobucket hotlink since installing them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

Help may be here!

If you are using Chrome or Firefox browser there is "hot link" fix for Photobucket...

Get browser extension "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" offered by bridgetroll.io

Allows you to see photo's previously blocked images by Photobucket's new hot link policy (at least for now)...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

We have a big topic in Off Topic about this too:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681847

From that thread
Quote:
Google chrome plugin called, "Photobucket Embed Fix". Make sure to delete your cookies and restart Chrome in order for it to work.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj

Firefox has one too

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

The Firefox fix worked great for my photos on the WTF thread.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

posted by Hulbyw (Wayne) on AVD

https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=112949&page=1#pid1038658

"Hopefully the Admins on here will understand this better than I do. Read on another forum the following:-By simply adding the text ~original as a suffix between the existing .jpg suffix and the [/img] tag the original images will be displayed again. This worked with a number of images (not all) on the other forum.
Cheers........Wayne"

just tried it and works a treat!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

As moderators, a lot of these "how to fix Photobucket" posts have been removed.

I just tried this fix of adding the ~original after the .jpg and before the [/img] and it works!!

Look at my build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

I just did this to the first photo. I left the second photo alone. I have added ~original to the rest of page 1.

Nothing to download, no elaborate work arounds, just add the symbol and the word original. ~original

I also just added the ~original to every dead photo link on the first post on installing the town and country seats......
All the photos show up now.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7999304#7999304

Anyone can do this ...... simply quote the thread, add the ~original into the photo link and post the quoted thread, the photo will appear in the quoted thread.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that info.

I think that is what the web browser extensions do too?
There is extension info in the first post of this thread.

The one I have installed showed everything in your thread so I couldn't tell the difference.
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

My $.02

As someone who drives a bay Westy everyday and is also in the reassembly phase of a split bus restoration, I am on here searching for help/ advise/ answers quite a bit. I understand that the Samba gallery can be clunky and other photo sites are easier... but...

The photos you upload when you are asking questions and looking for help with your projects need to have a life beyond your project. It's very frustrating to finally find the perfect thread that answers your exact problem and have the photos all be dead photo bucket (or other service) links.

Spend the extra few minutes and use the samba gallery. Think of the next guy and contribute resources to this wonderful website.

And while I'm on my soap box...

People should be more specific and less cryptic with the titles to their posts. It's much more helpful to find a thread thats titled "Bucking under acceleration" than "Clairabelle is feeling under the weather today..."

Thanks for your attention
'65 Honda Dream
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with Photobucket photos on Samba Reply with quote

I saw some recent complaints about the browser add-on I was using from the first post in this thread possibly gathering data in a shady way.

I switched to another one I found.

This one works fine:
Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobuc...nfo-dialog
Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fixer

I updated the links and added some comment to the first post of this thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: