Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OregonMGReplica52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Carburetor Reply with quote

My 1974 1600cc dual port motor has a dual barrel holley carb on it. I cannot find any information about it online. My VW has been sitting for a long time and I was going to rebuild the carb. At this point, I'm wondering if it might be worth it just to get a new weber carb so that parts and information will be easier to find in the future. So my question is this: does anyone know anything about this holley carb, or will it make my life easier to go with a weber? Thank you!

I have included a picture of the Holley carb just in case it's useful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

If you're going to purchase a new carb, why not get a original, restored and correct German Solex 34-3 carb? Even better would be to also get a matching, correct distributor for it as well.

http://www.volkzbitz.com/

Tim's carbs are like brand new. The correct air cleaners mount on them too.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

Looks as though there is remains of fire extinguisher powder.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

Looks great that will buff right out.
OregonMGReplica52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

i would personally like to go with an aftermarket carb. And yes, thats from an extinguisher. It's seen better days but we're on track to be on the road agin.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

OregonMGReplica52 wrote:
i would personally like to go with an aftermarket carb.

Why?

For a stock engine, a correctly rebuilt German 34PICT-3 would work best. Those aftermarket carbs will not add any real power.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

Have at it.
Take your pick.

There are a number of options available.

You want a weber buy a weber.

The last time I read a thread about them it got lambasted pretty well.

Be prepared to make it the point of comsumption to your technical prowess getting it to run right.

Apparently it's been discussed, maybe even beat to death, and on file here somewhere.

I believe it was mentioned it is just too big.

So go take your holley into your local auto parts and trade it for a rebuilt.

Oh but perhaps note the jetting and ancillary corrections already made for your application.

Can O worms dude

and chances are whatever you put on it, it probably has an 009 type dist and will haunt you (and us) for eons as you fight unacceptable drivability issues.

ooops there I go again
OregonMGReplica52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

well i figured an aftermarket carb would add power. But if not, I will certainly be looking into a stock one. from what i am coming to understand here I don't want to deal with the headache of getting it squared away with a weber. that holley never seemed to work just right anyway. thanks for the advice y'all!
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:

and chances are whatever you put on it, it probably has an 009 type dist and will haunt you (and us) for eons as you fight unacceptable drivability issues.

I have a 34 PICT 3 on my bug (currently my backup carb by EMPI, in the process of rebuilding the SOLEX). I looked through the flyers and manuals and couldn't find anything "consistent" specifying the stock setup for a 1600 DP engine.

So... what was stock? What the 34-3 intended to run with a vacuum dizzy? or 009?

SOLD:
1968 VW Beetle, Daily Driver, #68flybug

Photos: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=jfly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

[quote="jfly"]
DeathTrap wrote:

vacuum dizzy?

I think the word is distributor

And the answer perhaps yes.
depending on year model and carburetor
there are threads and charts somewhere here matching carburetors to distributors
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

jfly wrote:

I have a 34 PICT 3 on my bug (currently my backup carb by EMPI, in the process of rebuilding the SOLEX). I looked through the flyers and manuals and couldn't find anything "consistent" specifying the stock setup for a 1600 DP engine.

So... what was stock? What the 34-3 intended to run with a vacuum dizzy? or 009?

A 1973 bug would of had a 113905205AN DVDA distributor in it. They are excellent when restored BUT, they need to be matched to the correct German Solex 34-3. The vast majority of the German Solex 34-3's were made for DVDA's. However, some of those carbs were made for SVDA's too. You want to match the correct German 34-3 to the correct distributor. All German Solex carbs have a base flange number on them. Usually on the bottom of the carb or the back of it. It will say something like 325-1 on it.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

jfly wrote:

34PICT-3 originally came with a vacuum/mechanical and specifically the 0231 170 034.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
jfly wrote:

34PICT-3 originally came with a vacuum/mechanical and specifically the 0231 170 034.

Only in 1974 did the German Solex 34-3's come matched to the SVDA for bugs. Prior to that, they were matched to primarily DVDA's 205AJ, 205AN, etc. The 74 German Solex 34-3's had a base flange number in the 400's-1 range.

jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen.

So for my own purposes and for that of the OP who is probably leaning towards going stock at this point, the distributor (aka dizzy Laughing ) and the carburetor need to match.

My current blown engine has a 009 with an EMPI 34-3. My donor engine has a solex 34-3 which I am rebuilding and a vacuum style distributor. The pictures below will clarify. Out of curiosity, can you guys tell what style vacuum distributor is on the donor (second pic)?

First pic isnof my bug with blown engine.
Other pics are of donor showing the carb and distributor.

SOLD:
1968 VW Beetle, Daily Driver, #68flybug

Photos: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=jfly
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Reply with quote

It's a DVDA distributor on the second engine with the original German Solex carb. It will have numbers on the side of that distributor to tell you which model it is. Most often the vacuum cans are blown on the retard side or both sides. You need to get a hand vacuum pump with a gauge which cost $20ish bucks. Hook up the hose to each side of the vacuum can and pump it up and see if the can leaks down at all.

The carb could be sent off to Tim at http://www.volkzbitz.com for his magic. Unless it's a very low mileage engine, the carbs throttle shaft bushings will need to be replaced.

That original DVDA distributor also should be disassembled, inspected and cleaned. They get all gummed up w/dirt and dust and the original 40 plus year old grease in them hardens which can freeze up the advance plate.

Those DVDA's work fantastic when they are restored and are matched to the correct German Solex carb. I sell restored ones or I can restore yours. PM me if interested.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: