Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DasKRAUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

I suffer from a similar issue but only after it has rained. Even when parked and it has rained. But it does going away after it dries up. I'm planning on replacing all abs sensors.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

Well, it's baaaaack. ABS + ESP lights again this week, though consistent now, rather than intermittent.

Different code this time however: 00778 "Steering angle sensor - Faulty"

gakali wrote:
Probably a bad speed sensor but a scan will tell you soon enough. Hopefully you don't need a clockspring/steering angle sensor Pray

I haven't done any of the diagnostic/calibration suggestions I found on the Ross-Tech Wiki (you know, I may buy that software yet), but @gakali your little emoticon above has me wondering: how ugly does that get (i.e. dollars-wise), if it's the clockspring/steering angle sensor physically needing replacement?

[A little later....] I remembered @Itsamoto posting pictures of some failed steering wheel sensor ring. It's that guy, right? $400-$600 part, it sounds like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peterson390
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

How about the wire harness coming out of the door? Sometimes these go bad and have to be replaced.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

Yes I had failed angle sensor - the movement resulted in worn traces - its pricey to get a new one (as in you might as well buy a third van for all the parts). Laughing
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

It's not particularly difficult to get to and inspect/clean the steering angle sensor... But I'd try a software recalibrate first.

I got this at one point a year ago and the sensor looked fine so I cleaned it a bit and recalibrated... and it's been fine ever since.

How many miles? Mine had 140ish.
sschaal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

My mechanic figured out another reason for the ABS+ESP intermittent light. In my 2002 European, the lights came on rarely (reset after turning the car off), and then more and more frequently, until most of the time. The mechanic read out that the steering angle sensor has a problem. But the issue was actually caused by worn bushings on my rack&pinion. The steering started to have some slack, and this triggered the steering sensor fault. The more worn the bushing, the more frequent the ABS+ESP were triggered. Replacing the bushing ($150 job) fixed it all. Thus, any mechanical wear in the steering system can actually cause the ABS+ESP light issues.
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

sschaal wrote:
My mechanic figured out another reason for the ABS+ESP intermittent light. In my 2002 European, the lights came on rarely (reset after turning the car off), and then more and more frequently, until most of the time. The mechanic read out that the steering angle sensor has a problem. But the issue was actually caused by worn bushings on my rack&pinion. The steering started to have some slack, and this triggered the steering sensor fault. The more worn the bushing, the more frequent the ABS+ESP were triggered. Replacing the bushing ($150 job) fixed it all. Thus, any mechanical wear in the steering system can actually cause the ABS+ESP light issues.

Having the same intermittent ABS+ESP as all have mentioned above. I too have had the diagnoses of rack and pinion wear. Mine 2001 has 105,000 miles.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

I get the intermittent ABS + ESP lights....mentioned to my mechanic and he thought it was likely a wheel speed sensor. Havent bothered to address yet cause lights come on only once every 2 months.
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent ABS + ESP lights, and related questions Reply with quote

Reviving this old thread, instead of starting yet another.

I've got an '02 Weekender with 125k miles. Recently I've been getting the same ASB+ESP lights. Almost always comes on after 30-40 minutes of driving. Other than the lights, the driving and braking seem fine. If I shut off ignition and start up again, the light disappears only to come back after another 30min or so.

I've got Torque Pro to play with, and no error codes from there. Battery shows 13.4-13.7 V on dash gauge I've installed. No problems with steering or suspension squeaks that I can make out. Engine coolant pegged at 190 as always, and transmission temp 180 with a cooler.

Any easy next steps other than taking it to the shop? Do I need to get an Autel or VCDS scanner to dig deeper into error codes?

Could engine heat be affecting some sensor within the engine bay? Of all the problems folks talk about here, I haven't read anything about building heat shields around the ECU/TCU.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: