Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor issues, vw hatred building
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

Looking for help. Had 009 with a flat spot like no tomorrow,so I threw a pertronix flamethrower distributor on my buggy,it decided to shit out on me and strand me saturday night when I went to leave restaraunt after dinner. No spark (module went out while I was eating apparently) coil is still good.
Only distributor I have is a mallory dual point, yl-541-hp. Had it for a while, brand new points and condenser. I CAN NOT get this car to run with it. Nothing but backfire or popping through carb no matter where its timed. Am I wasting my time with it? How do I know it's indexed properly?(the points cam is moveable and has a dot on top of it,is that supposed to align with something?) Anybody have one I could get reference pics of? There's about shit as far as info on setting them up.
At my wits end with it, can't figure out what I have/am doing wrong, and flat out despise the flat spot the 009 has, it's not streetable with it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

Toyotafan78 wrote:
At my wits end with it, can't figure out what I have/am doing wrong, and flat out despise the flat spot the 009 has, it's not streetable with it.

"There are 009 distributors, and there are 009 distributors" - Yogi Berra

I've run two German 009 distributors for over 37 years each, they're pretty good. Next best were apparently Brazil-made units, which some have been fine with. Nowadays the Chinese-made units are not too good from what I read.

Turn yours upside-down and see what country it came from.

For the record: I still use points only. And I do NOT carry a "spare"/emergency distributor.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

It's a brazilian one.
Trying to stick with points over electronic,especially after the embarrassment of crowd of people checking out my buggy and it won't start,had to wait over an hour for the tow truck. Points would of at least limped me home.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

You're not wasting your time with the Mallory but very few people are running one these days. I would think basic tune up procedures and checks would apply to the Mallory just like the Bosch distributors.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

The bosch just has a horrible bad flat spot off idle.
I've read and read and watched videos and tried with the mallory and literally spent 100 hours getting nowhere.There is apparently something wrong with it that I can't figure out. Not a beginner with points, my harley and one of my sleds has them,sled is even dual points,never had a problem with them. Fires right up with the 009,won't even close to start with the mallory. Was trying to get away from the electronics.
Just done with the piece of shit at this point,not at all a fan of VW after this adventure. Or I just buy another junk ass pertronix and wait for the inevitable joy of being stranded somewhere again.
Fuckin junk
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

just get points for the 009 and figure out why you have a flat spot with it
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

What carb/carbs are you running on this engine? If it's a 34-3, you'd have to fatten up the main and idle jet and run it pig rich to TRY and overcome the off idle flat spot.

Let us know what carb/carbs your running.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

From your gallery pics, it looks like you have a single Weber IDF.

The 009 should work, i would figure out why it doesn't.

I'm not a fan of the Pertronix SVDA.

I would suggest a Bosch 019 mechanical, but the 009 should work and not have a flat spot. I suspect the carb needs adjusting.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

All 3 dizzy's are mechanical advance only. John at aircooled.net recommended one of the pertronix svda's,but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on them and the mallory, and the 009 seems to have a bad rep for the flat spot off idle.
It has a single weber IDF 40 on it. Tri'mil header,Unknown cam, valve adjustment is spot on.
The pertronix is a 009 knockoff. It still had a slight flat spot,but nowhere near as pronounced as the bosch 009's. Fine above 1500 rpm, but don't like having to rev and slip the clutch to take off on the street. Both,until pertronix died,pulled hard right to 6500 rpm once off idle.
I ran the 009 for a year and a half, engine sems to pull harder with it compared to the pertronix,it's the off idle that kills me.
In order to get it to a tolerable range I'm running horribly rich, (fouling plugs,12mpg,black smoke)I'm sure it's exxagerated slightly due to being a single carb. If I advance enough to overcome without running super rich it sounds like spark knock.
Are these engines just that "noisy"?
Can I tweak the initial advance on the 009?
I take it the mallory is basically a paperweight...
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

The Bosch German 009's and the better option, 010's work great w/dual carbs. I ran both distributors with dual Kadron's and dual Weber's. No flat spots or off idle hesitations.

The only thing I'd use a Petronix distributor for is a paper weight.

Have you considered ditching that single carb and getting duals?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

Crossed my mind. Haven't gotten enough enjoyment out of it to justify the cost of a dual carb setup at this point.
First time I have ever been truly dissapointed with the performance/ driveability of any carb/points combo on a primitive machine.
Been fighting this for year and a half.
Wanted one for 30 years, and flat out dissapointed with it now that I have one. No longer a fan at all. Just going to shove it in the back of the barn and let it rot until I find some sucker to pass the headache onto. Complete waste of time and money at this point.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

Toyotafan78 wrote:
Wanted one for 30 years, and flat out dissapointed with it now that I have one. No longer a fan at all. Just going to shove it in the back of the barn and let it rot until I find some sucker to pass the headache onto. Complete waste of time and money at this point.

Sounds like you've made up your mind toyota fan. Sell it and move on, life is too short to be unhappy with that POS car that won't run. Good luck.
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

Just gonna stick with the vintage harleys,they actually run.
Never had so many problems with a machine in my life.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

It sucks that you got a VW with a mismatched combo of the carb and distributor that didn't play well together. Then, you experienced the wonderful world of "new", crappy, aftermarket Chinese parts.

These old VW's will run beautifully and purr when you have quality parts that match. It's critical for the distributors and carbs to match. Many people remove all the aftermarket garbage from their VW engines and buy restored, original matching German made carbs and distributors. Once they do that, they are rewarded with beautifully running, low maintenance engines.

Maybe you need to take a break from it and then consider doing what I suggest. These are great cars once they are dialed in.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

The problem I see is too many people are giving you conflicting advise. I'd listen to John @ Aircooled.net and ignore everybody else. Your flat spot is a tuning issue with the carb, not the distributor.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The problem I see is too many people are giving you conflicting advise. I'd listen to John @ Aircooled.net and ignore everybody else. Your flat spot is a tuning issue with the carb, not the distributor.

Great advise. No one but John knows VW's apparently.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I suspect the carb needs adjusting.

If you won't listen to me then listen to Dave.
vwracerdave wrote:
Your flat spot is a tuning issue with the carb, not the distributor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

Nothing like points - you can count on them. They are as reliable as lightning during a storm.

Anything Petronics I stay away from.

I love old 009 distributors. I pick them up when I go to swap.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

And, you can see below at what I think is called my signature line that I have two VW's that are repeat slow drag winners. Because I have perfectly matched carburetor to distributors I can get my idle down to somewhere around 400 rpm without stalling even under a load. Not positive on the above figure as my tach doesn't register it's that low and the oil and generator warning lights are on while I'm "racing".

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issues, vw hatred building Reply with quote

can you post a picture of your engine?

does your manifold have functional preheat?

how are you timing the ignition advance?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: