Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia fresh water wiring and plumbing questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Westfalia fresh water wiring and plumbing questions Reply with quote

While I'm waiting for some parts to finish off the distributor refresh, I've been looking at the Westy interior wiring. This time it's the fresh water circuitry: the PO replaced the original pump, but the new pump has never worked as far as I can tell. The drain tap and hose are long gone too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Water pump fuses

Here I have the option of looking for a modern pump or finding the OEM one. I have located two OEM ones nearby, but they are slightly different: one has an inline fuse and a bracket to hold it, while the other one doesn't.

My hunch is that the inline fuse is not needed if the pump's switch is routed to +12V via a fuse in the fuse box, but I thought I'd double check, as surely the inline one must have been there for a reason!

I looked at the Westfalia wiring first, and there were a couple of things that did not make sense:

• Where is the S5 (16 A) fuse located? Is it at the fuse box, or is it an inline fuse somewhere?
• If I understand it correclty, US buses did not have the inline fuse next to the pump, whereas Canada buses did. Yet the diagram seems to mention a 2A fuse at "V – water pump with fuse 12 Volt/2Amp". But it is nowhere to be seen. Am I interpreting the wiring diagram correctly?
• At the top of current track 11, I see "B - to water pump inline fuse (8A) next to fuse box". Now I am confused. Is this now yet another inline fuse, next to (instead of at) the fuse box?

Plumbing drainage

I'm trying to make sense of the highlighted area in the diagram to restore the sink drainage to its original state.

I get it until (21), the gasket and cover, which are also present in the bus. But all the rest is missing. Hence the questions:

• Has someone got pictures of that drainage assembly as it was originally? This would probably answer most of the questions below.
• Is this how it's supposed to work? - Pipe (19) protrudes from cover plate (21). Thread adapter (22) is press-fitted to pipe (19), and secured by support (23). Nut (24) further secures thread adapter (22) onto the support (23) and cap (25) closes drain when screwed into thread adapter (22). When drain is opened cap (25) hangs on its fastener underneath the vehicle.
• What is the actual purpose of the cap (25)? To prevent fumes from going up the drain? It seems to me that in closing it one runs into the risk of forgetting to open it again while camping.

Here's what the drain on my bus looks like. Everything below the gasket and cover is gone. The pipe is protruding a bit, but I'm not sure if it's still the right length to accomodate the thread adapter (22).

Thanks.

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia fresh water wiring and plumbing questions Reply with quote

I think I can answer some of my own questions. Unfortunately, I don't have a reference to check on another bus (US buses are not common around here), but fortunately the eche_bus restoration thread comes once more to the rescue.

From eche_bus's pictures, the thread adapter (22) from the Westfalia diagram can be seen on this picture.

Here's what I can make out of it:

• Unlike on my bus, the main drain pipe protrudes a fair bit from the gasket and cover (essentially, the dirt-covered area in the picture)
• I'm still not certain if it's a press fit or threaded into the main drain pipe above. I'm thinking probably the later, which would mean I'd need a pipe with the right length with threads on both ends. I'll keep searching for pictures of the part or of the main drain pipe.

Here's another picture from user Chloem1207. White nut still in, but cap missing.

Even better, there is a picture of the whole assembly from eche_bus too:

Note the cap with the missing retaining strap. I actually located one with strap (see pic below for reference), but I still have not figured out the actual purpose of the cap.

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia fresh water wiring and plumbing questions Reply with quote

Here's how the fuse and wire is laid out on a late Canadian deluxe: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=water&search_author=busdaddy , the 2a fuse isn't something I've ever seen, maybe it's internal to the pump?

The drain pipe is ABS plastic DVW pipe, the end fittings and elbows are attached with ABS solvent cement (glue) to the cut end of the pipe, no threading required.
The white cap is to keep insects, small mammals and drafts out of the bus when the drain is not in use. There is a hole in it where the lanyard attaches, if you forget the water still dribbles out at a slow rate, if you put a lot down the drain before you realise your mistake and can't wait prepare for a shower when you do remove it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia fresh water wiring and plumbing questions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Here's how the fuse and wire is laid out on a late Canadian deluxe: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=water&search_author=busdaddy , the 2a fuse isn't something I've ever seen, maybe it's internal to the pump?

Awesome, thanks busdaddy. I must say the Canadian wiring (not pictured in this thread) is the only part of the diagrams that I understand Smile

What I do understand now is what was meant by the fuse "next to the fuse box". While it is not on my bus, the pictures made that clear.

Still not clear on the US wiring though: why on earth are two fuses (8 A and 16 A) in series needed? Unless the 16A one is quicker to act on a surge, it will never melt, as the 8A one will go first. Also, if "B" in the diagram points to the fuse next to the fusebox, where is S5 exactly?

Good idea on the 2A fuse being perhaps internal. This would perhaps mean that:

- the Canadian pumps had no internal fuse, but a fuse in their external fuse holder
- the US pumps had an internal 2A fuse, but no fuse in their external fuse holder

busdaddy wrote:
The drain pipe is ABS plastic DVW pipe, the end fittings and elbows are attached with ABS solvent cement (glue) to the cut end of the pipe, no threading required.

Ah, excellent, so I can get any fitting hose and cut it to length. How easy is it to remove the old cement without damaging the rest of the plumbing, if I were to replace the drain pipe only?

busdaddy wrote:
The white cap is to keep insects, small mammals and drafts out of the bus when the drain is not in use. There is a hole in it where the lanyard attaches, if you forget the water still dribbles out at a slow rate, if you put a lot down the drain before you realise your mistake and can't wait prepare for a shower when you do remove it.

Perfect, that part's all clear now Smile

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia fresh water wiring and plumbing questions Reply with quote

I have no idea why there's so many fuses shown and why they call it fuse #5 (fuse #5 is a headlight high beam fuse in the box), it makes no sense. The wire leading upwards in my photo connects to the unfused side of the fuse box on a constantly powered terminal (if I get a chance I'll look and see which one). I've also never seen a pump with an internal fuse myself, maybe the graphics department got confused when producing that diagram?

The cemented joints on the plumbing are essentially welded together, the solvent melts the plastic, you might separate them by digging out the cut off pipe with a dremel, but it would be a massive job. All those fittings are common stuff on the shelves of any home supply store in North America, the pipe comes bulk in various lengths as well, it's easier to build it new than waste time trying to get it apart in most cases. Or alternately saw the end off shorter and join on a new bottom length with a butt connector.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia fresh water wiring and plumbing questions Reply with quote

Ok, thanks!

I think the fuse numbering on the Westfalia diagrams was done without the main wiring diagram numbering in mind. Thus I would say S5 on the diagrams on this thread does not correspond to S5 on the fuse box.

They simply used a numbering scheme that collides with the main circuit diagrams (#fail).

On top of that, reading the wiring diagrams and their legend would lead you to think that a) USA wiring did have an inline fuse next to the fuse box and b) Canada wiring dit NOT have an inline fuse next to the fuse box.

If I'm not mistaken, you're based in Canada and your bus does have that inline fuse next to the fuse box. So I think there was some confusion going on when printing those diagrams.

USA wiring

Canada wiring

Having concluded that, and not seeing the point of two differently-rated fuses in series just a couple of feet apart, what I'll do is to get the pump without fuse holder and add a 8A inline fuse next to the fuse box to reproduce the part of the stock wiring that makes sense.

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: