Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wide Five Brake Groaning after stop
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tblankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Wide Five Brake Groaning after stop Reply with quote

I recently installed an EMPI wide five brake kit on my Beck Speedster. On the RF, after the car is warmed up, I get a groaning after coming to a stop and rolling forward. No noise on braking or coasting and noise goes away after coming back up to speed until the next stop.

After a short while, I started getting squealing too. Today, I pulled the pads and found a groove in one and that they were glazed. I sanded them down and reinstalled. Squealing is gone, but groaning remains.

Any ideas? Bad caliper not releasing?
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Five Brake Groaning after stop Reply with quote

If calipers don't release, the tire does not turn free.

Check with a jack if tire turns free. If not, most likely a hung up caliper.

Had this lately with my front drum brake. I dismantled the drum and took the outer piston and the rubber seal off (i did not open the break circuit itself!). Found a lot of rust and that one piston easily came out, the other one not.

I took both pistons off and gave them a nice polish with some polishing compound. Cleaned everything and applied some brake grease to it before I fit it back in. No issues since than.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Five Brake Groaning after stop Reply with quote

Check that you've got free play (1mm) at the master cylinder pushrod. Also check the flexible brake hose. They can collapse inside and can prevent fluid returning from the caliper causing problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Five Brake Groaning after stop Reply with quote

A lot of kits require a proportioning valve or check valve if you are mixing disc and drum brakes. You indicate that you installed the kit. Was there a check valve or proportioning valve installed? If so, look there for the source of your problem.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Five Brake Groaning after stop Reply with quote

I'm with manxdavid - check your freeplay. As you drive and brake, the fluid heats up. If it has nowhere to expand to (freeplay comes into this), the only thing it can do is push your brakes back on.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Five Brake Groaning after stop Reply with quote

Check the clearance between the inside of rotor and the bolt heads that hold the caliper bracket to the spindle.
On my kit I had to replace the stock split lock washer with a thinner wavy washer to keep the rotor from rubbing.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Five Brake Groaning after stop Reply with quote

Make sure your calipers are parallel to the rotor. I had the same thing on mine and it was the stamped caliper brackets not holding them parallel. After I bent them the groaning went away.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: