Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Timer Engine pull, tips?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

So story time, past 1.5 wks the van has been at the VW mechanic that is local to me for stud replacement because the exhaust was leaking. One stud has broken off already, and it looked like the rest were going to be down the same road as well. So after 1.5 wks I call the mechanic to get an update and he says that he feels 5/8 studs will need to be replaced and drilled out. To do this he wants to take the motor out and he said it could get expensive.

So I've decided that since I'll be going home in a few weeks and friends have a lift, and all the tools I could ever need that I would do it myself. I've noticed the slightest bit of headgasket seep and decided to perhaps do that to.

So do you any of you vets have any good tips for pulling the motor? or anything related to what I've stated above? I'm also trying to find a step by step guide for removing it. Thanks in advance!

I have a manual 86 weekender

Last edited by WestyWanter on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

This is aircooled...but the rest is pretty straightforward. Should be easy with a lift!

http://www.benplace.com/air_cool_vanagon.htm
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

Do you a Bentley or Haynes manual? Both will help somewhat on the procedure.

To be honest these days I just look at what is in my way and label it with blue tape on both ends and disconnect it. I reverse the procedue, numbered, to install. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

Shop vac out the coolant (make sure it is cool and you open the bleeders or disconnect a hose to replace the coolant with air), take lots of pictures before you start, and I'm a drop it out the bottom kind of guy. Start with removing the heat shields, and don't forget the bolts for the muffler heat shield you go at from the bottom.

It's easier to drop these motors than you may think. Very straightforward. If you have a lift it'd be tempting to lower the motor to the floor and then lift the van off it. I disconnect it from the transmission, I do not remove them together as some do.

-Rob
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

Waterboxer (WBX) Removal Notes
Here are my notes after watching the Bostig video on WBX removal.  Kind of a "For Dummies" format, but it's what I need.
Hope it helps! (Numbers are times on the video.)

WBX ENGINE REMOVAL:  Bentley 10.8-10.10

Label everything before you remove it! Diagram how they went together or take photos!

Van up on Jacks, tires on supports. Reference: BOSTIG Engine Removal video...

Disconnect negative battery cable. 

Drain oil; antifreeze

UNDER Engine: [Disconnect skid plate. SYNCRO ONLY)

Disconnect 4 bolts on Drive Shaft Flange.

Remove shift linkage where it’s bolted to transmission two 13mm bolts. DON’T TEAR RUBBER BOOT!

CV bolts- Clean gunk out of inside, (I have Star Type), remove bolts, separate

carefully. Wrap in plastic bags and use nylon ties to support weight. (I'm going to remove, clean and re-grease them; maybe a future article!)

Disconnect vacuum lines on Differential Lock Actuator.  Mark each line prior  to removal.

2:30

ON THE ENGINE ITSELF:
Remove air cleaner with airflow sensor and air intake duct.

Cut old nylon ties that secure hoses and wires.

Remove cruise control unit. (If you have one)

Remove passenger side rear tail light.

Remove screws or clips to hold block off panel in place, allowing access behind tail light. (I don't have one, already gonzo)

In area behind taillight, remove idle stabilizing unit, put with rest of wiring.

Disconnect wires from alternator - 2 to battery, one to A/C, and blue field wire.

Disconnect wiring from fuel injectors, throttle valve switch and auxiliary air regulator.

Vacuum out antifreeze.

Remove upper bleeder hose (runs along back top of engine compartment.)

On models with A/C, remove compressor hoses. (NOT if pressurized!)

UNDER ENGINE: Remove passenger side heat shield, will be re-used.

Remove 6 bolts up above muffler in the back.

Remove other heat shield.

7:03

Remove throttle cable that passes between two crossover pipes.

Remove 17mm large bolts to crossover pipe and hose clamps, remove pipe.

Remove bracket holding throttle cable.

Put 17mm bolts back in to support the slave cylinder.

Two 13mm bolts on slave cylinder, remove. (difficult to access)  Do NOT open the slave cylinder! Just leave on top.

Power steering pump: remove lines, using a catch basin for fluid. top 22mm bolt first, (don’t loose the crush washers!), then return line.

Fuel lines are disconnected and plugged.

9:25 Fuel Pressure Regulator -label return line (from middle) and send line which goes to back right wall.

Brake booster line, remove as close to the engine as possible

UNDERNEATH: Loosen 6 transmission bolts in rear after positioning a floor

jack under to take transmission’s weight. Lower the jack, transmission dips down, STOP!

ABOVE: Hoist on engine, ready to lower....

Loosen 4 bolts holding engine cradle to vehicle.

Make sure CV joints shafts are not catching on the transmission, move them ABOVE the transmission.

Look for things catching or that you forgot to remove as you lower...

12:46

Disconnect hoist from top of engine, pull hoist backwards with engine resting on it’s legs.

Leave breather line on transmission that’s there, it snakes up and over the fuel tank

Not sure how/where the Bostig video is now, sorry.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

A lift sounds like a shop, which means you ll need to work fast to get it out of someone's shop so they can have it back. I would research what else you want to do while it out, but u may be limited by time. I did mine in my gravel drive on two pieces of 3/4 Advantec plywood, and some ramps. It took me three weekends, but i like to take my time and be careful. You might do the rear main (there's also an O ring there too), maybe the throw out bearing, assess the clutch you might swap it out and the pressure plate if they look sketchy. You need the little clutch alignment tool ($3 or so) . I clean an engine while it's out too. You get to reach spots impossible to get at with the engine in. To really do a good job you ll want to pull the intakes off and other stuff so get intake seals and gaskets where they bolt to the head, the oil breather tower seal. Find a steel pan and buy engine degreaser and spray and scrub with an old toothbrush. Catch the good stuff in the pan and what doesn t evaporate out after a few weeks (keep it out of the rain), you can dump in your oil drain tub. If your bus is water cooled, you better look up the Libby bong for puting the water back in later. By the way you re supposed to tell us what year model etc, you have.
B
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

https://bostig.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204149045-Waterboxer-WBX-Removal-Notes

Here's my original post on Bostig site, has more information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

IMHO it is much easier to remove and install the trans and engine together rather than separated. If you have experience that may not be the case. I have done about ten drops and I still do them together. YMMV.

The Western Syncro build
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

Sorry, update I have a 86 weekender 2.1 4 speed. And I have access to a lift that is in a private owner garage which is nice and he said i can have it for a week.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

Put cardboard on the ground, catches drips, and engine is easier to slide out.

Lift makes it much nicer.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

As a recent first-timer, I'm going to second the importance of labeling and photographing everything you disconnect. I actually labeled with either a tag or in a Ziploc baggie and took a photo that I then saved with a descriptive caption. This was for every single step of the removal process, even really obvious things like spark plug wires or air filter housing.

For me, I didn't really need the photos, or even all the labels, when I put the engine back in. The process of the labeling, photography, saving, etc. helped each step imprint in my brain and it was very easy to remember what was what when I put it back together. Now, I have a pretty good permanent recall of various components.

IRL, my job is such that I could go on about the neuropsychology of how memory works and why the repetitive process I describe helps, but that's a different forum.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
IMHO it is much easier to remove and install the trans and engine together rather than separated. If you have experience that may not be the case. I have done about ten drops and I still do them together. YMMV.

Ditto. I've got 6 Vanagon drops (3-air cooled and a couple of 911 & 914 drops).

Lowered one with a floor jack on the tranny mount and canoe straps to the engine carrier bars wrapped around a pipe across the engine compartment. A 2 to 3-person drop, but you can lower onto plywood on PVC rollers, then lift the van afterwards (if not already on stands or ramps) and roll it on out. Great if you can't lift the van way high.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
unplannedbbq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

Did mine solo over a couple slow hours:

1. Label & take pictures (details + engine bay shots from different angles)
2. Lift rear end
3. HF engine hoist above
4. Wheeled transmission jack below
5. Keep engine & 4-spd together
6. Start w/ heat shields & splash guards; go slow
7. Use lots of ziplock baggies
8. Triple check connections (especially grounds) as you drop WBX & 4-spd
9. Save tranny mount for last (don't let it swing)
10. Quadruple check connections
10. Drop, strap bundle to tranny jack & wheel out.
11. Re-attach engine hoist & haul it to work area.
12. Take a selfie standing in the empty engine bay.

FYI - I had to drill out most of my exhaust studs. Spent more time doing that than pulling the engine.

"However not an ideal swap unless it was all you had and you needed to escape some distopian 3rd world country." - Mongoswede
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

Yeah I'm going to have to drill mine out as well most likely, so I'll be ordering those next week along with head gaskets because my heads are slowly starting to leak. Also going to check the clutch and all that other stuff. Just noticed today when I filled up the van all the way for the first time since having it that it has a gas leak, PO warned me that the rubber breather gasket things have been changed but it leaked even after that an he thought they may have popped back out again, who knows! Also have a seal on the transmission that I need to replace that goes the CV axle I think. So might as well take out transmission with the motor. It'll be an interesting time, hopefully a week will be enough time!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

You will have a busy week. Have fun! Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

Don't forget to disconnect the fuel lines. Having gasoline squirt all over the place while the engine is coming down is truly a drag.

(Ask me how I know.) Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

I completely missed the small screws that hold the heat shield to the body. Didn't see anything in any directions about them. Would've been a lot easier to get them out before the engine was off the carrier bar.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

I might get lucky if timing works out a guy on the forum said he would be interested in getting the experience and offered his hands to help! So that could be really helpful and cool. I'm excited to gain some hands on experience with my van and hopefully get her ready for a possible road trip in future?
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST
noun
1. an apparatus for hoisting, as a block and tackle, a derrick, or a crane.
2. a tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

The OP is fortunate enough to have a vehicle lift, which makes this job much easier. But for those who need to do this with the vehicle on the ground, I’ll mention that a motorcycle/ATV jack helps when removing a Vanagon engine.

Disconnect all your bits, jack the rear of the van, raise the ATV jack up to the engine/transaxle unit, and disconnect the engine mounts. Then lower it all to the ground and roll it out. A homemade wooden ’skid’ allows you to park the engine somewhere on the ground for work, then pick it up later for installation.

Note that this requires a bit more bumper-height clearance than the typical cardboard or carpet method …

Good luck!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hbmbguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First Timer Engine pull, tips? Reply with quote

I just dropped and installed an engine for the first time:

1) I bought a label maker and was meticulous about labeling things
2) Take more pictures that you think you need.
3) I lowered mine onto two pieces of cardboard with a heavy duty trash bag between, made it pretty easy to slide the engine out and back in
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: