Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hubcap noise
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Hubcap noise Reply with quote

I've installed stock steel wheels and smootie hubcaps on my '70 beetle. I have a clicking coming from the wheels now. If I take the caps off, no clicking. Was wondering if anybody else has seen this.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap noise Reply with quote

A few times.

Check the rivets and clips on the rims?
mjtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap noise Reply with quote

No clips on my rims. They are 4 lug and have four bumps that the caps snap onto.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hubcap noise Reply with quote

Sorry man, I know better than that! Regarding the 4 lug not having the clips and rivets. That kind of thinking comes about after working in the sun all day long!

Could it be the cotter key at the rear nut is moving around?

Speedo cable end hitting?

Wish that I could hear it!
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hubcap noise Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Could it be the cotter key at the rear nut is moving around?

This happened to me once. Give it a check.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewwebb58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hubcap noise Reply with quote

Sounds to me like either the rear cotter pins are coming into contact with rear hub caps, or the speedometer cable is coming into contact with the left front hub cap.

It would be super helpful at this point to remove one hub cap at a time, and drive around the block to isolate which wheel the noise is coming from
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mjtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap noise Reply with quote

Just to close this out, all hubcaps were 'pinging' and clicking. Nothing on the inside hitting. It seemed to be the steel wheel flexing just enough to make hubcaps ring. My solution was to install some Stick and Seal to the inside of the caps. Problem solved!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap noise Reply with quote

Wow! Excellent trouble shooting on your behalf. Thanks for posting the solution!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: