Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct cooling Fan?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

I have a 73 bus with a transplanted
914 engine. The W engine code indicate it's from 70-71.
The fan shroud has a GE number which
I think is from 78.

I want to replace my cooling fan - how do I decipher which fan I should use?

Here is a photo of the fan currently in the engine - including two missing blades.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the GE number on the fan shroud

Here is seen the W code indicating a 914 engine. Also, before anyone suggests I replace the worn manifold boots? I did this about a year ago.

Any help regarding which type of fan I should look for is much appreciated.

Thank You (as always)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

The fans are all interchangeable unless you are running the air pump found on '73 and '74 buses. In that case only the later fans with the flat center will do.

There are two different styles fasteners used depending on the shape of the center of the fan. Not sure how interchangeable the fasteners are.

You need to replace those cracked manifold boots before you kill your valves. If the tops of the boots are bad the bottoms are probably worse. They are a common Type 1 dual port part.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings,

I don't have the air pump you mention so looks like I can use the 'standard' type 4 cooling fan. Per your note about the manifold boots - I mentioned in my
post that I replaced those boots just after I got the bus a year ago. At some point I'll loose the single carb and replace with doubles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
I mentioned in my post that I replaced those boots just after I got the bus a year ago.

Crap parts don't care how much work you do. Your boots are cracked, and you should replace them before you harm your cylinder heads.

The orange EMPI boots lasted me about a year each. The red IAP boots lasted a little less. The black NAPA boots lasted about eighteen months each.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Old picture,taken before boots were changed.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie- I replaced the cracked black boots with the orange ones recommend by Bus Daddy. I inspected them this morning and there are no signs of cracking or drying out - thanks for the advice. The engine is coming out in a couple of weeks so would be a good time to replace the boots then.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

I should add that fans from different applications have different styles of timing marks. Before installing a replacement fan you need to make sure it has the correct timing marks for a bus. Not a big deal to make a new mark if necessary, Ratwell.com covers this very well.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

So the fan itself is interchangable but the timing marks may have to be redone. At this point I cannot figure TDC because of the hybrid engine/fan shroud combo. I have an appointment with Colin a coiuple of weeks after I do this work and one of the planned tasks is to ID TDC and get the timing marks correct.

I had a pro shop do a tune up and valve adjustment last summer since I wanted this to be done right given my new-bee status so it's currently running well. I don't take long trips so may have only put ~ 1000 miles on the bus in the past year.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Putting a new timing mark on is easy, just requires a ruler or tape measure, a triangular file, and reading Ratwell.com
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

check this thread out, Wildthings explains (right above my rambling) and mr bolty illustrates

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8403895&highlight=#8403895

or just the illustration

and the ratwell link:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Your pulley from the broken fan can be put on the new fan- The TDC mark on the pulley should line up- roughly with the roll pin in the hub.[img]

[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Your pulley from the broken fan can be put on the new fan- The TDC mark on the pulley should line up- roughly with the roll pin in the hub.[img]

[/img]

He said his old pulley is missing the bus timing mark, plus the pulley is ballanced as part of the pulley/fan assembly so moving it from one fan to another might throw the assembly out of balance.

This is all probably a mute point anyway as his replacement fan will likely have the bus timing mark from the get go, as most but not all '74 and later fans did.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Agree- and all of my fans had the Porsche timing marks on them but I have no reference to porsche pulleys- if they have the "v" stamped in them or not.

From assembly weights on pulleys I have- I doubt the factory did anything but balance each component - then just put them together.- Got nothing to back that up, but their balance weights in the pulley seem pretty solid-- maybe some old factory worker or historian can chime in here.

Don't step in any!
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
From assembly weights on pulleys I have- I doubt the factory did anything but balance each component - then just put them together.- Got nothing to back that up, but their balance weights in the pulley seem pretty solid-- maybe some old factory worker or historian can chime in here.

I was going to start a thread about this very topic. What is involved with reassembling a fan? I took mine apart to clean and a day or so later came across the advice to never take the fan apart since it is near impossible to put back together correctly. Meanwhile, the fan that I'm using was described by Colin as a POS. I would like to put my original and much nicer fan back on the engine but have been scared off by samba posts. What's involved with putting the fan together and having it correctly balanced?

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

follow the picture- the di-cast fan has a roll pin to aline it to the crank- put the TDC mark --the little ( "v" )in line with that : then bolt it together. The Porsche marks will be to the right of that set up looking from the face of the fan.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Thanks for some interesting and informative comments. There are always new things to learn.

Again, with my new-bee status I don't have experience with tuning the engine in terms of dwell, using a light, adjusting the valves, etc. Since these procedures are so important to good maintence, I want to not only put the tuning marks in the right place, I want to understand the movement of the engine/pistons/crankshaft.

Again, thanks for chiming in.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

First find TDC- either by the "rock point" of the opposite valves, or the coil of rope in the spark plug hole, or the camera or mirror and flash light-- (Ya I know- we are some what "shade tree here".

Next put the "0" of the timing scale from the area of the fan to read there correctly- factory is surprisingly accurate.

Now you have a reference point to find the 28* full advance everybodys recommending- (no Vac assist please.)

Don't step in any!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
williamM wrote:

I was going to start a thread about this very topic. What is involved with reassembling a fan? I took mine apart to clean and a day or so later came across the advice to never take the fan apart since it is near impossible to put back together correctly. Meanwhile, the fan that I'm using was described by Colin as a POS. I would like to put my original and much nicer fan back on the engine but have been scared off by samba posts. What's involved with putting the fan together and having it correctly balanced?

I have been .eaning to post a "how to" over in the 411-412 forum. I have three that need to be re-aligned.

I have done it several ways....all succesful.
One used kind of an elaborate jig board.....my first couple I did like this. Too much work.

The others I have done on a live center on a mount with a dial indicator. Works well.

If you uappen to have a spare engine case, a set of workable main bearings and a spare crank.....you can slather the mains with heavy grease, torque it together and clamp it to a workbench. Bolt on the fan hub and fan.....mount the dial indicator and get to work.

Its not "hard".....but its TEDIOUS. You have to tighten the bolts about 4/5ths......and make adjustments by pulling the dial indicator probe out lf contact....making light taps....checking.....adjusting.....checking....adjusting.

And.....in reality....all of the fan castings themselves have "some" runnout. So you have to map the fan and mark it with sharpie so you know what is "normal".

Then you start on the pulley itself.....and set it to be dead centered regardless of how much radial runout the actual fan blade castkng has. Ray
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
oscarsnapkin wrote:
williamM wrote:

I have been .eaning to post a "how to" over in the 411-412 forum. I have three that need to be re-aligned.

I have done it several ways....all succesful.
One used kind of an elaborate jig board.....my first couple I did like this. Too much work.

The others I have done on a live center on a mount with a dial indicator. Works well.

If you uappen to have a spare engine case, a set of workable main bearings and a spare crank.....you can slather the mains with heavy grease, torque it together and clamp it to a workbench. Bolt on the fan hub and fan.....mount the dial indicator and get to work.

Its not "hard".....but its TEDIOUS. You have to tighten the bolts about 4/5ths......and make adjustments by pulling the dial indicator probe out lf contact....making light taps....checking.....adjusting.....checking....adjusting.

And.....in reality....all of the fan castings themselves have "some" runnout. So you have to map the fan and mark it with sharpie so you know what is "normal".

Then you start on the pulley itself.....and set it to be dead centered regardless of how much radial runout the actual fan blade castkng has. Ray

I duplicated the end of crank taper on a large steel bar/shaft that I can chuck in the lathe, after that it's the same method as you describe. I use chalk to get it in the ballpark first, tap on the chalked area, wipe off and hold the chalk near it again and again (and again). They rarely run so absolutely true a dial indicator will fully zero, that's the nature of a stamped metal pulley, but you can get it to a very close average with a little patience.

I guess you could do it on the bus with the plugs removed and a helper to operate the starter, but bring a battery charger, a chair and lots of beer because you'll be there a while.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Correct cooling Fan? Reply with quote

Could you do it with the engine at idle and get your "high points" by just contacting the spinning hub with chalk or paint.? Your hub to pulley bolts could be just tight enough to allow movements.

The " on - off" of the hub might be a bit frustrating. Not to many shops have a dedicated lath but that would be the best way to center up that assembly.

Has there been any research on fan volumns with regard to removing or changing the shape?- That's kind of an antiquated design compared to modern aviation design of turbo props. and varying pitch designs.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: