Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro fuel tank
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

I just removed my fuel tank, a fun filled activity which ate up 2 days I'll never get back. Others have posted tips to ease this process. The only thing I'd add is that I found that when prying down on the tank with a large bar, start at the driver's wheel well (wheel removed and van safely blocked up), then move on back into the empty engine compartment and finish up by prying down, again mainly on the driver's side of the tank, from that position. Watch out for the plastic roll-over/breather valves, one is hiding up there just waiting for you to break it!

Here's a couple of photos. As you can see my tank isn't nearly as nasty as many others discussed/viewed here. Damp area was from Kroll oil sprayed on sender nuts prior to removal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The submersed hose was actually intact!

The NLA filter was pretty nasty, though untorn. Any tips on cleaning it?

The plastic tray inside the tank did have some tasty bits in it.

While my tank was unwrapped, it's a Euro spec import and I think all of them came unwrapped, there is a heavy foam insulation between the tank and the body. It was dirty, but quite dry and intact. My plan is to wash, dry and reuse it. Any informed opinions on that idea?

Behind the foam insulation it was pretty clean & dry with minimal surface rust. Much of what shows up in the picture is glue residual.

Plan is to wash it all down, Por 15 the few rusty spots, paint, reapply the foam and cavity wax the frame. I'm replacing every fuel and vent hose. The vehicle doesn't have a charcoal cannister, so I'll vent it at the fuel filler port, just like VW did. Any advice appreciated.
Any idea what the round electric plug in the last photo (lower left quadrant of picture) is used for? It was bound tightly to the frame and appeared to be full of dirt, so I don't think it was being used. However, this whole process, engine swap for a Zetec, has freaked me out a bit, because no matter my best intentions, I still neglected to mark and photo all the wires and I'm having nightmares about putting it back together.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Any idea what the round electric plug in the last photo (lower left quadrant of picture) is used for? It was bound tightly to the frame and appeared to be full of dirt, so I don't think it was being used

Looks like the decoupler plug. Syncros are pre-wired for it.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

Before you put the foam panel back on the body I'd spray copious amounts of Waxoyl on the body panels to seal it up real well. It will also creep into the overlapped pieces and help keep it rust free. Looks nice though! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
CinnabarVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

You are very lucky. The firewall area looks really clean and not much to clean up to get the rust out.

In installing the newly plumbed fuel tank I used a thin plastic (old cutting board) wedged in between the nuts for the sender and the frame. this really helped and allowed for the tank to go up much easier.

Fun stuff.
Joel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Foam on Syncro firewall Reply with quote

In many of the Syncro fuel tank threads, I don't see mention of the foam padding/insulation that is mounted against the firewall. On my Syncro, the part has foam(?) padding facing the firewall, attached to hard fiberboard facing the tank. There appear to be 1/8" metal tension rods holding it in place. What is the purpose of this part? Does it become sponge for moisture? Is it recommended to keep it?

I have a rusted out seat belt mounting point. I'm trying to gather information to make a game plan for fixing it. I have a feeling I'm going to need to remove the fuel tank to weld the area.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

"I'll vent it at the fuel filler port, just like VW did. Any advice appreciated. "

Thats ok, but make sure the water can drain there. The vent tube sucks water into the tank.
All Syncros have the problem with time, that the water from rain stay there up to the edge due to dirt. I drill in every Syncro a hole on the button.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Foam on Syncro firewall Reply with quote

nuhu wrote:
In many of the Syncro fuel tank threads, I don't see mention of the foam padding/insulation that is mounted against the firewall. On my Syncro, the part has foam(?) padding facing the firewall, attached to hard fiberboard facing the tank. There appear to be 1/8" metal tension rods holding it in place. What is the purpose of this part? Does it become sponge for moisture? Is it recommended to keep it?

I have a rusted out seat belt mounting point. I'm trying to gather information to make a game plan for fixing it. I have a feeling I'm going to need to remove the fuel tank to weld the area.

Many of us have left it out. Mine was loaded with sand and road grit. It caused corrosion tothe point where i had to replace one of my trans case sections. Also had rust behind it. Now with it out i can easily pressure wash behind the tank through a rear wheel well. Not all syncros came stock with it.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Foam on Syncro firewall Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
nuhu wrote:

Many of us have left it out. Mine was loaded with sand and road grit. It caused corrosion tothe point where i had to replace one of my trans case sections. Also had rust behind it. Now with it out i can easily pressure wash behind the tank through a rear wheel well. Not all syncros came stock with it.

I've replaced the heatshield on the fuel tank itself and added Dynamat to the firewall inside the van. I've left the factory foam off as it was coming apart.

Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

Digging this up!

I too am in the same boat. My foam is pretty trashed and I’m not too enthused about putting it back in as it’s sponge that will hold moisture. We all know where that leads. Luckily enough mine has very little rust behind it. I’m gonna clean it up and pro-15 the little rusted spots.

I am curios to know the purpose of the piece of foam? Was it for sound? Insulation for the fuel tank? fire proofing?.

I’m very happy to leave it out but would like to know it’s original purpose.

Cheers

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

I'm guessing soundproofing. Don't think it would help in the case of a fire, especially if it's soaked with fuel or oil. As you see from my thread, I put mine back in (it was in good shape) and it still looks good 1 year later. If it had been trashed I think I would have gone for a Fat-mat type of insulation.
'81 Westy sold
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. If it’s simply used for sound proofing I have some of this stuff left over from my sound proofing on the interior.

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/luxury-liner-pro-...x54-9sqft/
It’s closed cell so shouldn’t hold moisture.

The interior side of that panel has quite coat sprayed on it.

Opinions?

Cheers

1987 2.1L Westy syncro

Last edited by almo on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

Not sure what "quite gait" is, so no opinion.
'81 Westy sold
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

I’ll play. I think ‘quite’ is ‘quiet’. Not sure about ‘gait’.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

Quite a lot?

It’s not easy for spell check to twist that into quite gait but anything’s posts please (that’s what spell check came up with for possible).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

The US spec Syncros came with a fuel vapor recovery system with charcoal canister. These Syncros also came with the tank insulation. The Syncro fuel tank insulation is part of the vehicle emissions system. The purpose is to reduce the amount of heat absorbed by the tank from the engine and transmission. Fuel expands as it warms up and also makes more vapor. The fuel vapor is considered air pollution if it escapes the vehicle. The insulation is intended to help limit this vapor.

Mark

almo wrote:
Thanks for the response. If it’s simply used for sound proofing I have some of this stuff left over from my sound proofing on the interior.

almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Not sure what "quite gait" is, so no opinion.

Lol good guessing. I was tryin to say quite-coat

https://www.quietrock.com/products/quietcoat

1987 2.1L Westy syncro
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The US spec Syncros came with a fuel vapor recovery system with charcoal canister. These Syncros also came with the tank insulation. The Syncro fuel tank insulation is part of the vehicle emissions system. The purpose is to reduce the amount of heat absorbed by the tank from the engine and transmission. Fuel expands as it warms up and also makes more vapor. The fuel vapor is considered air pollution if it escapes the vehicle. The insulation is intended to help limit this vapor.

Mark

almo wrote:

Cool.... that does make sense. Do you think this firewall foam thingy is part of this as well. I have foil insulation to wrap the tank.

1987 2.1L Westy syncro
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: