Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Square Hi Beam
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

I am trying to replace my Hi Beam headlamp on my '86 Weekender. It looks like i have to unscrew the headlight adjusters all the way out, but the lower one does not screw out. I don't want to break the plastic parts by forcing anything.

Will someone give me some direction. I have tried a search, and my Bentley only shows the round headlights.

Thanks, Rich
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
I am trying to replace my Hi Beam headlamp on my '86 Weekender. It looks like i have to unscrew the headlight adjusters all the way out, but the lower one does not screw out. I don't want to break the plastic parts by forcing anything.

Will someone give me some direction. I have tried a search, and my Bentley only shows the round headlights.

Thanks, Rich

dont move the aiming adjustment screws. the small high beam housing is removed with the larger dual beam housing as a unit held together by a steel frame. I recall four screws hold that frame, that frame is held to the body by the four aforementioned screws, the frame holds the two housings and the adjustment screws. once the frame with the two bulb housings is removed, you then have access to change the bulbs.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Love My Westy wrote:

Thanks, Rich

dont move the aiming adjustment screws. the small high beam housing is removed with the larger dual beam housing as a unit held together by a steel frame. I recall four screws hold that frame, that frame is held to the body by the four aforementioned screws, the frame holds the two housings and the adjustment screws. once the frame with the two bulb housings is removed, you then have access to change the bulbs.

good luck

I'm not replacing the bulb, the Hi Beam lens is broken and I found a new one. I have removed the housing but the lens is only fastened by the adjusting screws as far as I can tell.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

I think you are correct by removing the adjustment screws. Problem is when doing that there's a 99% chance they will crumble and you will need to replace them. They are expensive. http://www.van-cafe.com/headlight-adjuster-kit-complete

Here's a post that has an alternative: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385347
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

It looks like I have no choice but to try to remove the adjusters. Can I just turn the back plastic piece to make the tabs slide out through the slots? Since I can't unscrew the lower one, I'll just have to try to loosen it from the back side.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
It looks like I have no choice but to try to remove the adjusters. Can I just turn the back plastic piece to make the tabs slide out through the slots? Since I can't unscrew the lower one, I'll just have to try to loosen it from the back side.

the plastic if original is likely brittle now. you might have best luck with appling a bit of lubricant, spray silicone maybe, or wd 40 maybe

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

I took a pair of pliers and turned the back side 90 degrees and was able to remove the lamp from the mounting plate. Then, carefully, I was able to remove the adjusters from the top, but managed to break a couple of tabs off the lower stationary one. I will try to get it to go together without the two tabs.

Wish me luck!
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

Got it all back together. The lower adjuster was loose so I rotated it and it snapped into position with just a slight wiggle. I'll order a new lower adjuster from VC and replace it, but the old one will work for now.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Square Hi Beam Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Got it all back together. The lower adjuster was loose so I rotated it and it snapped into position with just a slight wiggle. I'll order a new lower adjuster from VC and replace it, but the old one will work for now.

You know these being brittle and so breakable it is worth getting more then one for future needs.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: