Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Buggy Upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Might add some yarn at the mouth of the IC, this is a great test CB!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

It's about 31* out right now so I'm not sure I want to test it or not......... Crying or Very sad

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Time to mount up the snow tires?? Very Happy
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Wow such a cool buggy and camper.
Cool Cool Cool
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Don't exactly blame you!

-22 C two mornings ago here, warming up to -12 C during the day so our buggy is getting a rest.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

I got a chance to do a little test of my scoop facing both ways.
Here is a video.

Link

The one hard run I did the camera shut off after second gear for some reason.....that was where I was pedaling the throttle due to clutch slippage...... Rolling Eyes
Lowest IAT's at full boost are now 107 degrees

It's not a fair test due to my Kennedy Stage I clutch slipping badly in third and fourth gear and not allowing full load on the turbo.
There are just too many variables to say it helped.

I have pulled the shroud off now and installed a fan on it so that will be the next test if my clutch holds.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm limited to less than 22 lbs. boost in order to save my clutch.

I'll have to upgrade to a Stage II this winter....... Crying or Very sad

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

I think its time that I provide technical assistance by insisting that next time I see you I drive it....
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
I think its time that I provide technical assistance by insisting that next time I see you I drive it....

That can happen...... Wink

I'll work the computer...... Cool

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Now, I hadn't considered that I might be of actual use....!

Crazy to see how turbulent the air is behind these cars. Its a wonder the vacuum doesn't suck us backwards the way we came...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Woo hoo!

Thanks for the video! That is exactly what I expected and consistent with my own limited testing! Yup, the air in that region is travelling up and forward. If you had an air temperature gauge in view of the camera you would have seen that it is also fairly warm in that area.

Interesting how far forward that air actually travels. I accidently left the oil filler cap off my engine and after a few miles at highway speed there was a fine mist of oil on the BACKSIDE of the windshield!

Now my question with your fan is - are you going to mount it on the bottom side of the intercooler aiding the up-flowing hot air or on the top side pushing slightly pre-heated air down against the natural air flow?

wythac, get your butt over there and pilot that thing so clonebug can get in the back where the action is and he can feel the air flow and temperature with his hands. It's a real eye opener - trust me! Keep your fingers out of the fan belt though, I had a close call... almost limited my math skills to a maximum of 9!

Or 19 if I take my socks off...

20 if I drop my - NEVER MIND! Rolling Eyes

Clonebug, that car is seriously quick! My experience with the turbo-ed Rabbit was similar. The stock clutch quickly became the limiting factor. Upgrading it proved the splines on the axles were the next weakest link. At some point one must use self control in the urge for more butt kick in order to limit the damage to the wallet!

Love your car! Very Happy
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

I fried the stock clutch years ago when I had the Blow thru Bocar. Laughing

This is a Kennedy Stage I and CB Super Disc that won't hold anymore...... Sad Sad Sad

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

The cam, carb, header guys mostly just move the torque up the rpm curve whereas force feeding an engine gives huge increases in torque all through the rpm range.

Tough on parts!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

It's time for my winter upgrades to get done.

As you might know I posted a dyno video and graph in the Performance thread and also there is a build list with dyno video in the Engine Builds/Combos sticky if you want to catch up since I installed the intercooler.
I could only get 20.5 lbs boost on the dyno for 187 whp and 201 lbs. ft. of torque.

I found an intake leak the other day on one of my center section connections and once I tightened it I was back to 22.1 lbs boost.
Doing the math from the dyno that would add another 7.5 hp to the 187.22 whp I'm putting out right which gets me to 195 whp and I still have 2 lbs of boost I can go up.

Since I found the reason my boost wouldn't go above 20.5 lbs. on my Dyno run in December I figured I would need a new clutch to hold the power since it has been slipping pretty regularly.

Hopefully I don't overpower the Stage II pressure Plate I just installed.

Here is a pic of the Stage II clutch installed.......

The old PP and Disc were still in great shape with no measurable wear on the disc. The PP and flywheel were both nice and flat so I buffed off the glazing on the flywheel and installed the new Stage II pressure plate and an Exide 503A disc.

I also cleaned up the wiring on my EGT sensor to make it easier to remove the engine by putting in a connector so I can pull the engine without having to cut loose my whole wiring harness to get the EGT out.
I called Mario yesterday afternoon and He put the thermocouple connectors in the mail 1st class.....wouldn't you know I received them today around 1:30 pm.....That's service!!!!!!! Wink

I now have the engine back in and should have it running again in a couple days.
I'll have to make it to the SpringMeet in Bellevue on the 28th if the weather cooperates...... Rolling Eyes Shocked Crying or Very sad

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

I spent much of the winter upgrading the engine and front axle in anticipation of downgrading some road trips this summer.

This thread is the closest I could remember to a thread about travelling and we are leaving in the morning to go on a 10 hour trip through the mountains to see the grandchildren. We have been itching to get away with the Buggy all summer but work keeps getting in the way.

This is not the best time of the year weather wise as we could quite easily get into a snow storm at higher altitudes and there is rain in the forecast. It gets down close to freezing in the early mornings now but midday is often 60 to 70* F if the sun is out. If we leave it much longer we will need skiis on the front and snow chains on the rear!

Pictures to come.

Sorry no trailer this time!

Last edited by oprn on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Pulled out of home at 7am, 44*F and it immediately started to rain. 2 hours of that and we were beginning to doubt our sanity! No pictures of that bit as we were struggling to see the road never mind play with a camera. Wipers on full speed, a squeegee in one hand for the back side of the wind shield and I even gave up on my glasses for a bit as they fogged up solid!

The weather smartened up and the rest of the drive was cool but enjoyable. By the time we reached the Okanogan it was sunny, 65* or so and quite enjoyable.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

The only excitement was that at the first fill up I noticed a nail sticking out of the rear tire. Not having a spare and not wanting to be stranded on the road somewhere up in the pass I found a tire shop and had it removed. No leak so good to go! Then there was a transport truck upside down in the ditch and anther later burning on the side of the road. Held us up for a while.

Smoke from the ongoing forest fires made for poor viewing at times.

Grandchildren were happy to see us!

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Very cool! I really enjoyed driving my buggy through your country going to Alaska. One of my Lifetime best memories. Be safe!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your trips guys. Got one coming up right after the Labor Day holiday traffic is hopefully over. (Way more cars on the highways around here.) Plan to drive my buggy from South Florida to Northern Michigan (and back), ~1,400 miles one way. Gonna go a few extra miles to the West, thru Indianapolis (feels like I'm an Indy500 driver on their Interstate loop), in order to avoid Cincinatti, which has always been a bad experience. Atlanta's loop is usually crowded, but generally moves along. Sort of looking forward to navigating that area:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTvu_TP7UHPWkRsQ78pJrvnDOZbr2IGS/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by MrGoodtunes on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

No problem, we talk a lot about building these cars but not enough in my view about using them. That is where we find out what really works, what doesn't and what is just fluff/eye candy and makes little difference in practical terms.

Too bad your picture disappeared, that traffic was incredible!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Buggy Upgrade Reply with quote

The trip home today was a little better. Instead of smoke blocking out the scenery it was heavy fog for the first couple of hours. Temperature started at 43*F in the morning and ended at 46*F on arrival at home tonight. The peak was downtown Calgary, 70*F at 4 PM.

Lots of construction delays this time as everyone on the road crews was back to work. We got lots of smiles, comments and waves from them as we went through.

So sorry to see the last of the mountains. There is just no better way to get the "big picture" that in an open vehicle! Peaks, eagles, waterfalls and aircraft that we would normally just not see in the confines of a full bodied car.

And of cource the last boring 4 hours of prairie...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: