Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
More work today. Removed the fly wheel and found the main seal to be leaking.

There is always some oil behind the seal which will leak out when the flywheel is removed. You do obviously have a bit oil leaking out somewhere though.

Quote:
I have ordered a new one from GoWesty. The question is, how to I install this? The Bentley shows a very large and complicated tool for the 5 bolt flywheel installation. I doubt this is easily available for a guy like me.

I always just use a hammer to start it and then use a punch to get it in the rest of the way, should make a video showing my technique someday. Very quick and easy once you figure out how to do it.

Quote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like the oil galley plugs are solid and not leaking. Should I clean up all this sludge and oil? or is this a normal state of how things look?

Yes clean everything up.

Quote:
Also, read that I need to replace the bolt plate - I looked on the Bus Depot site but could not find this part. Where might I purchase this?

The part was readily available the last time I wanted one. Pick up the phone and call your parts supplier.

Quote:
I've read that there is supposed to be a felt ring but did not see one when I removed the flywheel. Is this found behind the main seal? If I don't have one, what is a good source?

The retainer is the harder part to find, again pick up the phone and call. You can also use a bearing with an integral lip type seal, it will go right in to the flywheel, but you then need to cut a recess in the back of the flywheel with a stepped drill bit to get clearance as the bearing will stick out of the flywheel an 1/8 inch or so.

Quote:
I also have a new pilot bearing to install. Being inexperienced, I check the one that's there and it is solid and all the rollers are in tact.

I've read about pulling these out but it looks like there is a special tool as well. Any advise here would be appreciated.

The bearings wear out and can wreck your weekend or vacation when they fail. Not worth reusing if they have many miles on them. You can buy a cheap pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight or maybe rent one from your FLAPS.

Quote:
Lastly, I found cracks in the flywheel so have located a new one. I will have my machinist shop look this one over, but from what I have read, I think mine is not salvageable.

Thanks as always for advise and input.

Yes taking it into a machinist would be the best way to go.

Depending on how you use your vehicle upgrading to a 228mm clutch would be the way to go if you are buying a new flywheel and clutch kit. The only additional cost would be for a 091 bellhousing, matching starter, and a couple of longer studs and bolts.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop - Flaps & Tins Reply with quote

While I wait for some parts to come in the mail for the flywheel/clutch procedure, it's time to start assembling the 'front' of the engine. This whole thing started last fall when I discovered I did not have any cooling flaps. With great help from great folks on this site, I was able to purchase a set of flaps and a T-stat and was encouraged to drop the engine and tranny.

Today I put new seals in the oil cooler, new oil pressure switch, new engine mounts on the mustache bar, installed the interior cooling tins, installed the front and back halves of the fan shored, installed my new fan, and finally installed the long awaited and missing flaps.

The smaller flap binds just a little on the rear fan shroud. Do I need to file down the part of the shroud so the flap can close all the way?

On the large flap, should it cover the oil cooler completely? The tin below looks like it may be out of alignment. Also, I understand there is supposed to be some kind of a seal between the flap and the oil cooler but didn't see anything like this in the Bentley.

Nice to see it coming back together.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop Reply with quote

To document my work, I'm posting a few photos. I ordered the wrong pilot bearing so had to reorder a new part.

Also, when I removed the flywheel (which I was able to have resurfaced) I discovered that there were only two shims - not three. Ordered several new shims in various sizes so I hopefully I can get the correct .003 - .005 setting.

The new ones arrived today along with the pilot bearing so will install the bearing as well as check and adjust the endplay with the my new gauge.
Plus have a new main seal and will install that as well.

I finished up the gas tank cleaning and its back in place, buttoned up and ready to go. New vapor joints, filler, neck, screen, spigot, and sending unit.

Since I was waiting for the flywheel parts, I started putting the front side of the engine back together. Had to wrestle some of the tins back into place. but things are coming together.

Just trying to find a place to purchase GL4 gear oil. Tried the local Napa place but no go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop Reply with quote

Advance should have it, or NAPA can order it for you, too. I was able get my bizarre SAE140 oil for one Of my rides
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Advance should have it, or NAPA can order it for you

Yep, my local NAPA doesn't stock it, but when I asked they had some for me the next day.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop Reply with quote

Have had a hard time finding gear oil. Was driving through Ithaca on the way home to Rochester and saw a Napa parts store and this is what I found:

It's labeled as GL4 but also mentions GL3. Did I buy the correct oil?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop Reply with quote

It's good enough for mayor ratwell.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GearOil.html#stalube
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop Reply with quote

Yep, the word Hypoid is what you want to see on the container.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice - 1st time engine/tranny drop Reply with quote

Again, I'm posting to document my work. Prepped the fan side bearing seal. It cleaned up pretty well and I used the large washer from Bus Depot and a small block of wood to drive in the seal.

Also replaced the rear main seal as well as the pilot bearing, Flywheel O ring,and felt ring.-

Set the endplay, attached the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. Attached the tranny and prepped for the installation

Enlisted the help of two of my sons and set to work of installing the engine.

Now everything is installed and ready for final adjustment and start up tomorrow.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: