Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Bay Window Revival
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have decided to create a thread for my 1972 Bay Window bus (which started life as a Westfalia). I am creating this thread not to share with others as much to keep track of my progress.

So, like I said, it's a 1972 Westfalia. My dad and I (I'm 14) and a friend of my dad's took a trip to northern Maine (we live in central Maine) to answer an ad placed on Facebook about some 1930's chevy truck headlights, which as many of you know can be used as 'cyclops lights' on split window buses. When we got to the older couple's house, they had a freshly built rat rod on their front lawn, a 60s Chevy G10 van, some older Dodge trucks, and most notably a Scamp trailer that they pulled with their restored 1960's GTO.

After my dad and his friend each bought their own cyclops light, we asked the couple if they knew of any vw buses in the area. They said they had a camp down the road from their house, and that there was a 'rough vw camper.' We asked if they could take us to look at it, and they said sure.

After we pulled down the long dirt road and driveway, sure enough there was a bus. After a good look at it, my dad offered the couple $200, 100 right then and 100 when we picked it up. They accepted, and we offered to pick it up the next weekend.

When we got it home, almost immediately we pulled the engine (a type 4 1700 pancake engine), but eventually it was put away and our main focus shifted to my dad's 1963 15 window deluxe. It has sat under a tarp all winter, and was just taken out for the first time today:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's very crusty, but in my opinion has lots of potential.

If everything goes my way, I'd like to basically restore the bus. I would like to get rid of the pop top, get a metal sunroof to fill the gap, paint the bus beige with a white roof, lower it and put some Porsche alloys on it.

If everything goes correctly, I would like to have this project done by the time I'm 16 (2 years). The process will be a good learning opportunity for me, and a good teaching opportunity for my dad.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Very Happy welcome to the club of VW people- you'll get a lot of advise and criticism- but will soon learn to tell the difference- first -learn how to weld- then make your own panels. finally how to paint-

decide if this will be a family heirloom. or a few years of camping then moving on to something more practical (read- don't have to fix it all the time).

Enjoy the journey-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

williamM -
Thanks for the words, though the 'club of VW people' is not something new to me; there have been at least five VW's scattered throughout my yard since I was born. Very Happy

And yes, I'm hoping I will be able to gain as many skills as possible from the experience. I cannot wait to see what this project will become.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

It is staring at you in the house. It is saying "come get started "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

I have a question for the bay window bus community - would a metal sunroof fit right into the slot for one in a westfalia? I've heard rumors that the hole in a standard sunroof bus is a different size than that of a westfalia.

P.s., if they are the same size, does anyone know where I could find one? Anyone have one stashed away somewhere?

Thanks
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Sad not me- But personally I like the pop up. but it's your bus- would concentrate on the rust first. and brakes and fuel system-- get a blazecut fire suppression system-

a few buses here have been totally redone-- only to burn down on their maiden voyage. (Ice burg -- dead ahead.)-

If you do give up on the pop top- they fetch pretty good money-- as lots of people want them.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Haven't had a chance to mess with my bus in the past week, but I did find a collage of photos from when the bus was extracted last year:

This weekend, if all goes well, I am planning on taking it into the garage to take more parts off and do a complete inspection/analysis and hopefully create a solid game plan for its revival.

P.S., if anyone is willing to make a suggestion, ask a question, or just simply comment, it would make my day Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Suddenly, I feel better about mine. Shocked You've definitely got your work cut out for you. You just need to do a little bit every day & it'll start to come around. Do you have any of the parts or are the original going to source a donor?

I wish that I could get my son (13) as interested in a Bus as you are.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu May 04, 2017 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

My comment is...
You're a lucky 14-year old to get the chance to build your own bus as you're entering high school!
Please keep us posted on your progress. I'm eager to see how you bring it back to life and make it yours.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Start with the pressure washer and work your way up,Have fun!Play safe!
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Suddenly, I feel better about mine. Shocked You've definitely got your work cut out for you. You just need to do a little bit every day & it'll start to come around. Do you have any of the parts or are the original going to source a donor?

I wish that I could get my son (13) as interested in a Bus as you are.

TDCTDI,
Yes, we have access to lots of parts, and my dad is an excellent fabricator which is a big plus. We also just recently bought two late bays from a junkyard, a 1973 Standard and a 1978 Standard. These will be great donors for the bus.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

I would not say excellent. Maybe adequate would qualify. You will be up to full fab speed by the time this project is done. I am positive.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

The skills that you will learn & the bonding time with your pops will be invaluable. Good luck & enjoy.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
I would not say excellent. Maybe adequate would qualify. You will be up to full fab speed by the time this project is done. I am positive.
I've followed your thread on the split forum, I would say excellent. I see a great future for the bus!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for the responses.

Thought I'd just put this out there - we are planning on taking a trip to Dinwiddie, VA for the Bug-Out during Memorial Day weekend in our Westy, so there may not be many, if any, updates on this thread in the coming weeks because all of our attention is going to be focused on getting the Westfalia ready. Thanks
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Subscribing!

It definitely has potential and I know it's in good hands now.

Not that you asked Smile but I vote for keeping it a camper (or at least having a camping bed). It's your bus and you should do what you want of course! I'm sure it will turn out cool no matter what.
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Subscribing!

It definitely has potential and I know it's in good hands now.

Not that you asked Smile but I vote for keeping it a camper (or at least having a camping bed). It's your bus and you should do what you want of course! I'm sure it will turn out cool no matter what.

Pine tops,
I have been putting some thought into the bus, and I believe what I want to do is remove the pop top but install a camper interior (complete with z-bed) into the bus. I want it to look like a passenger bus but actually be a camper.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Ah, so you want it to look like the "Basic Campmobile"

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Ah, so you want it to look like the "Basic Campmobile"

Minus the jalousie windows, yes👍
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:

Pine tops,
I have been putting some thought into the bus, and I believe what I want to do is remove the pop top but install a camper interior (complete with z-bed) into the bus. I want it to look like a passenger bus but actually be a camper.

Sounds like a great plan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: