Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole - (GOT IT!!!)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole - (GOT IT!!!) Reply with quote

Replacing a wiper nozzle today the hose / tubing slipped into the hole. d'oh!

I've read that the only way to retrieve it is to take the dash out. No thank you.

Has anyone tried fishing a new hose through the nozzle hole to the T mounted under the instrument cluster and tying into the old hose with a straight compression fitting?

There has got to be an easier way than removing the dash. I hope.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

I replaced the squirters and hoses on a van with the dash out, and it's hard to imagine doing it correctly with the dash in situ. They're really snaked in there, and need to be in order to clear the wiper linkage. Removing the dash on a Vanagon isn't really all that tough of a job.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Which side? I'll get you a picture of what you're up against as my dash is currently out. But by the end of Sunday I may have it back in so let me know
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Passenger side. Thanks Doug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Those hoses are up above the top of the ram air intake plenum, there is literally no way to reach those hoses with the dash in place.
The left side isn't even easy to do with the dash removed!

MAYBE with a bent piece of wire, the patience of Job and all of the god's smiling upon you, you just MIGHT get lucky and nab that hose....... unlikely in my book though.

But then again, removing the dash is more scary in theory than it is in reality.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Same thin happened to me. using a wire coat hanger and some electrical tape, I fished a new plastic hose from the "T" fitting to the nozzle hose.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

A borescope is about 10 bucks on eBay these days. They come with attachments though you may need to fashion something specific from stiff thin wire.

That's what I'd go in with and see if it can be recovered.

PS - Really these things are so cheap and so handy I think every garage should have one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

I lost my passenger side hose when i was replacing my nozzle. I think the neighbors called the HOA due to the tapestry of profanities that emanated from the garage soon thereafter. I did what others suggested above. I took the glovebox door off & fished a piece of stiff wire through the hole and through the opening behind the glovebox. I then threaded a long length of new tubing over the wire, then snaked it in front of the heater assembly over by the steering column. I then connected it up to the T fitting. It took about 15 minutes. I would rather pour boiling brake fluid in my eye than remove the dash on these vehicles.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Colorado Yeti wrote:
I lost my passenger side hose when i was replacing my nozzle. I think the neighbors called the HOA due to the tapestry of profanities that emanated from the garage soon thereafter. I did what others suggested above. I took the glovebox door off & fished a piece of stiff wire through the hole and through the opening behind the glovebox. I then threaded a long length of new tubing over the wire, then snaked it in front of the heater assembly over by the steering column. I then connected it up to the T fitting. It took about 15 minutes. I would rather pour boiling brake fluid in my eye than remove the dash on these vehicles.

The above is about the way to do it, too.

I did as I recall with a wire and tape after removing the glove box.

Driver side, is a MAJOR PITA, though!

Be careful, you are warned.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

In leu of a stiff wire, get ahold of some farmer wire, bailing wire.

It'll take corners easier, and still give you a stout pull.

How did you lose that hose?

It was right there in the picture, on the back of the broken nozzle base.

There is no easy way to get to the busted off hose.

Either yank the dash, or hunt & peck.

So much for 3-D custom made fixtures & using a mallet to install them.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Colorado Yeti wrote:

Thank you for this post. It gives me hope! And yes... my neighbors all heard a tapestry of profanities too Laughing !!!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
How did you lose that hose?

It was right there in the picture, on the back of the broken nozzle base.

I had to pull pretty hard on the nozzle base to get it to release. As soon as the nozzle base released from the van, the hose (which only
had about 1.5" of slack) slipped off the base and right back into the hole.

Thanks for the tip about the bailing wire vs stiff wire.

If I do end up having to take the dash out I'll end up:

Replacing the wiper hose(s).
Lubricating both ends of the heater fan bearings.
Testing the heater core and associated hoses.
Installing the E30 BMW brake booster.
Checking/cleaning all electrical grounds
And...???
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Add a check valve to the wiper hoses. Also, disassemble, clean and lube up the wiper pivot arms. Add some sound deadening to the front sheetmetal. Replace the ground stars

y u rune klassik?
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

I just put my dash cover back on today after a radio install and kinked heater cable repair. I was really particular about reassembly and ty-wrapping the wiring and it did take a substantial amount of time.

All day. Rolling Eyes

The van sat for a week in the driveway with the dash in the back.

Nothing prompts the "will you ever get this thing back together again?" question more than the dash removal. Laughing

The windshield squirter lines up right behind the darned wiper assembly.

Maybe try a mechanical pick up tool?

Can you see the hose from below with the glove box off?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Add a check valve to the wiper hoses.

We used to get these out of wrecked Audis.

Now where?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Bosch/Washer_Check_Valve/W0133-1636349.html

Only $20... Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

AND;
Lubricate the wiper motor pivot points on the ends of the transmission arms,
I' pull the wiper shafts too, clean and. Lite grease them up.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Mercedes uses one I'm familiar with:
Bosch part # 0008600862

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-parts/washer-system-check-valve/0008600862~bos/

y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

TYJ,

Sorry, crazy day yeserday. Dash still out. Why don't you PM me your number and I'll call and do a FaceTime with you and give you a real time video of what you're up against. It's gonna be tough but not impossible.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper fluid hose lost in nozzle hole Reply with quote

Big thanks to Ahwahnee for recommending a borescope. Got one from Amazon with a 5mm camera (most have a 8mm camera that won't fit into the wiper nozzle hole). My son located the hose within a few minutes. Then using a grabber tool and a skinny pair of needle nose pliers WE GOT IT!!!

Soooooooo STOKED! Dancing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: