Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

I have no power to injectors on one side of my engine. #1 and #2. I have checked the grounds and they are good. The engine runs but 1 & 2 are not working. Have spark but no power to the injectors. Where does the power come from?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

No. You still most likely have a ground problem. Let me explain.

Ok bear with me because i am going to walk through a few things.

The system has inputs and outputs. On the input side.....the cylinder head temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, throttle valve switch, manifold pressure sensor and most importantly for your issue.....fuel injection trigger points.

These points are in the bottom of the distributor and have a three wire plug.

So all the other sensors aside for the moment.....the trigger points do several things:

1. They give the ECU an rpm signal

2. They give an injection window of time based in degrees. Each pair of injectors has 180° of open time available on the distributor drive. This does not set the pulsewidth of the injector.....it simply gives an allowable window in degrees within which each pair of injectors is allowed to fire.

At low load and rpm.....the pulsewidth (the time in milliseconds the injector is spraying) calculated by the ECU.....may not even span the entire 180° allowable window of time/degrees. At high rpm and load.....the pulsewidth can expand to fit the whole 180° time window.

3. On some D-jet....I am not sure about all.....each injector channel.....and there are two channels.....one for cylinders 1 and 3 and one for cylinders 2 and 4......is a collapsing circuit. If one circuit does not fire or collapse....the other cannot arm itself.

Normally......if a pair of injectors is not firing......the first suspect part is the trigger points. The rubbing block on one trigger may be worn down or one set of trigger points may be dirty or rusted......or....and this is most common.....one of the pins in the three prong plug may be corroded or loose inside the plug.

Bear in mind......these triggers just say when and within what window of time a pair of injectors can fire. They are just switches.....and give an input signal to the ECU.

The ECU then decides exactly how long the pulse will be.....and has output wires.....seperate positive power wires to each injector.....and...even though each injector has a separate power/signal wire from the ECU....AND each injector has its own ground wire going to the emgine block......the ground wires are PAIRED together where the connect to the engine block.

So......these are your choices:

1. if the problem were one side of the trigger points....or the plug at the trigger points or the wires from the trigger points plug to the ECU......of which there are only two......you would either not run at all (all four injectors not firing)......or one pair would not fire.....and those pairs would either be 1 and 3 not firing or 2 and 4 not firimg because that is how they are paired.

You would NEVER have both injectors on one side of the engine not firing because of something on the input side.

So.....its not your trigger points or the plug or the wires between the triggers and ECU.......because.....one injector on each channel IS firing...so both injector channels are getting input from the trigger points.

2. You could have broken output wires between the ECU and the injectors on the 3 and 4 side. Injector # 4 uses wird #4 and injector #3 uses wire #6 coming from the ECU plug.

3. Or the fork shaped pins in the ECU plug for #4 and #6 wires could be dirty, corroded or loose.

4. Or...and this is very, very common.....the female pins inside the plugs for injectors # 1 and #2...are loose and not making contact. The D-jet female connectors suck. Just like their larger cousins inside of your fuse panel......over time....with a few cycles of plugging and unplugging....not to mention heat expansion and vibration.....the little rolled sides of the connectors get loose and do not make contact with the male pins...even though the plastic plug body feels tight in the injector.

You need to take a pin out tool or jewelers screwdriver and delease the tab and pull the female connector out of the plug...and with small pliers....gently squeeze the sides of the female connectors to tighten the fit on the male pin.

Or......the female or male pins may have corrosion on them.

5. Or.....and this is the most common problem out of all of them......the female connectors of the ground wires in the injector plugs may have the same issues as the power wires described above........or.......since both injectors have seperate ground wires....it is possible that both may be broken between the injectors and the engine case.......

Or.....and this is most common.....since the ground wires from injectors 1 and two are paired together at a single female terminal at the engine case.....the crimp at that female connector is either poor or corroded.

So.....the question is....how are you checking the grounds? Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Wow, that is all great information. Thx for taking the time to type that all out. Smile

The way I checked the ground is with an Ohms meter. I unplugged the injector and tested the lead. One side showed the ground was complete because the meter went to 0 when I touched it to ground. Is this not a good test? The injectors on 3 & 4 have 12V on them when the key is on but 1 & 2 don't show anything. I will try removing the ends from the plastic plugs and tighten up the ends. Where would I find the grounds for the injectors?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
Wow, that is all great information. Thx for taking the time to type that all out. Smile

The way I checked the ground is with an Ohms meter. I unplugged the injector and tested the lead. One side showed the ground was complete because the meter went to 0 when I touched it to ground. Is this not a good test? The injectors on 3 & 4 have 12V on them when the key is on but 1 & 2 don't show anything. I will try removing the ends from the plastic plugs and tighten up the ends. Where would I find the grounds for the injectors?

Laughing This is the maddening part about D-jet and its connector system.

What you did...simply confirmed that the female connector at the injector end is crimped to the wire...and that the wire is crimped to the female connector at the ground lug on the engine case.

But what this did not confirm....is that when you plug the plastic plug back into the connector.....that the female terminals are actually gripping the male pin to make good connection.

Also....when you are checking connections with the engine off....its not an accurate test of what the connectors are going through when the engine is running, vibrating and hot.

The really best way to check the connectivity is not just to test for it...but to make SURE of it. Pull the connector off at each end...look for tarnish and corrosion. Check for fit/tightness and correct for it if necessary.

You have to KNOW its tightly connected.

Its very, very common that you have what appear to be good connections when the engine is off...but when you start it up and the engine starts vibrating...you get high frequency intermittent connections that can drive you mad.
Its even worse when even at idle everything seems fine. Then....once the connectors heat up...they expand. Just a few microns of expansion can be the difference between intermittent connection or not.

These are some of the reasons why Bosch NEVER, EVER used this connection system on any other fuel injection system outside of D-jet...and neither did any other manufacturer.

Its also....possible....that you have two dead injectors. Rare....but it happens.

Unplug each injector and take an old wiring plug to make a test socket or if you can get you test leads in there....each injector by itself should read 2.4 ohms.

Then....again with a test lead socket made from an old D-jet plug (the best way)....you can hook a 9 volt battery to it...JUST FOR A SECOND....to see if it clicks open.

Its also possible that if the car has not run for a while...that the pintle tips of the injectors have rusted lightly and are stuck closed.

To check this.....first go out and buy a new seal kit. NAPA Echlin brand are the best "factory" style injector tip seals for D-jet on the market....although using CIS injector seals from something like an 82 Saab 900 (and many other VW and Audi used these seals....make a much better seal on D-jet and L-jet injectors.

Pull each injector out....and if it still has the plastic pintle guard on it...pull those stupid things off with a pair of pliers...carefully. Their only function is to keep you from damaging the tip of the injector by bumping it. Just be careful on re-installing the injector.

The problem is these plastic caps with the recess around the pintle...gather fuel droplets and water vapor...and promote rust at the pintle.

With the engine off and the injector out....take a small block of wood, hard plastic or metal...and press squarely on the tip of the pintle. It should click backwards and release a bit of fuel. If it does not easily do this or will not move...then you have found your problem.

If the pintle moves....and the 9 volt battery will not energize it....you have a burned out injector solenoid or an internal short.

Also check that the filter screen inside the inlet is not clogged.

DO NOT USE 12 VOLTS TO TEST THE INJECTOR. It will burn it out. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Well I took out the injectors, removed the black plastic collar and could not push in the pins that were sticking out of the injector end. I pushed pretty hard but they did not move. Is it just best to replace them with new? I assume they are bad, right?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
Well I took out the injectors, removed the black plastic collar and could not push in the pins that were sticking out of the injector end. I pushed pretty hard but they did not move. Is it just best to replace them with new? I assume they are bad, right?

Just to be sure you are analyzing it correctly....check the injectors that are working the same way.

I take them....hold them straight and trueand carefully push th3 pintle down on a smooth, clean hard surface. It takes just a few ounces of pressure. If you have tough skin or fingernails....you can push in the pintle by pushing it with your finger.

Trying this on a known working injector will train you to what it feels like when the pintle moves. It only moves about .015".

If the pintle will not move with light pressure....put some loquid wrench or other pentrating oil on the tip for a few.....and put it kn a hard surface like and noted....and give it a poind or two of pressure. Usually you will feel a pop....as the frozen pintle pops loose and moves.

If you can get it to move....put it back on the fuel line.....bump the key a few times to build up fuel pressure. Disconnect the positive wire from the coil......turn on the key but do jot start the engine. Reach over and open the throttle while watching the injector tip.

With the key on the throttle valve switch will give the injector about 10 pulses in a full throttle stroke.
If the injector is not dripping and has a decent spray pattern......it "may" be a good candiate to have it ultrasonically cleaned and mapped.

http://www.witchhunter.com

Its $22 an injector and they will either come back working perfectly or they will tell you and list what is wrong with them. You should send in all four at one time to have this done.

There are a couple of other good injector houses out there as well.

If your injectors are workable its a far cheaper alternative. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Thx for your help. I think they are both toast. I can not get them to move at all. I pushed on them pretty hard and the will not move. I also had problems with the fuel pressure regulator too. I had to replace it too. It was rusted so badly it would not allow the fuel to even come thru. I am sure that is why the injectors are bad I think. I will have to put this on the back burner until next wk. end. But with your help I think the problem is solved.

thx again.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
Thx for your help. I think they are both toast. I can not get them to move at all. I pushed on them pretty hard and the will not move. I also had problems with the fuel pressure regulator too. I had to replace it too. It was rusted so badly it would not allow the fuel to even come thru. I am sure that is why the injectors are bad I think. I will have to put this on the back burner until next wk. end. But with your help I think the problem is solved.

thx again.

Ah.....that says it all. If your fuel pressure regulator was rusted.....the chances are high your injectors sat with water in them and are rusted too. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Yes I had to remove the tank and have it cleaned. The car sat for about 6 years. I am trying to bring it back to life.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
Yes I had to remove the tank and have it cleaned. The car sat for about 6 years. I am trying to bring it back to life.

Be sure once you get it running.....to do a COMPLETE fuel pump test.

The pump should put out about 1 lipter per minute....WHILE its supplying about 28-30 psi.

So rig up a pair of wires to the fuel pump or jumper the relay so that the pump is running. first clamp the return line right after the regulator......and put a piece of hose onto it an drop the end into a 1.5 liter jar. Turn on the pump and check that the fuel pressure is stable and time 1 minute as it fills the jar. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

OH I had to replace the fuel pump too. It would not run at all. One thing I noticed is the new injectors don't have a pin sticking out of them like the old ones do. Is that going to be OK?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
OH I had to replace the fuel pump too. It would not run at all. One thing I noticed is the new injectors don't have a pin sticking out of them like the old ones do. Is that going to be OK?

Where and what did you get for injectors?

D-jet injectors are far different than any nodern injectors primarily because they have large orifices.....run very low impedance......compared to what modern systems call low impedance. In modsrn injectors....say in the OBD-1 system range......a low impedance injector is about 4-6 ohms. Those will NOT run with D-jet.
D-jet are 2.0 ohms bare minimum.....and usually 2.2 to 2.4 ohms.

Because of how they are built they also have a low pressure level capability.

Its possible.....you have found some modern build injectors that have moved away from the pintle to the "disc style"......but they MUST be the right type with the right ohms.

Our injectors are 2.4 ohm impedance and are called "peak and hold" type. New system injectors are called "saturated" type and run resistances upwards to 12 ohms.

Because of how they are driven.....high impedance saturated type injectors have much higher spring pressures and solenoid power....so they can run upwards to 50 psi.

What is the part # and brand of what you bought? Can you post a picture or two......where did you get them? Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

I have not purchased anything yet because they really look different. This is what they have for info: Fuel Injector Standard FJ114 fits 70-73 Porsche 914 1.7L $60 each

They dont have a pintle I tried to post a pix but it would not allow me.

I have only looked on the bay for them. I have this feeling they are not the correct one's. I did see one listed that looked like the same thing but it was $150 for one plus $8 shipping.

I also found these; GP Sorensen Fuel Injector from Auto Zone. Fuel Injector Type: MPFI (Port or Multi-Point Fuel Injection)
Injector Plug Type: For D-Jetronic

What do I do?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Well.....the FJ114 is made by Standard Motor products.

Found an Amazon review that was positive. As long as the flow rate and resistance is normal.....and it fits.....its should work.

Really if what I remember about these is correct... it does have a pintle below the nozzle. Dont quote me on that yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-FJ114-Injector/product-reviews/B000C7Y4LM

I am finding them for as low as $49.....Rockauto has them for this price.

Lots of people selling them....everyone from Autohouse Az etc.

Let us know how they work please! And....when you get them could you please measure resistance and post it?

Thank you! Ray

EDIT......
This is a super fine site for buying and cross matching injectors.
Motorman lists the FJ114 as a Bosch replacment/crossmatch.

http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/catalog/item/7638068/9492478.htm

Here is the main site

http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/Fuel_Injector_Flow_Rates.html
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

well I am beginning to understand why so many people get the injection gone on their 914, I have put 2 new injectors and a fuel pressure regulator and still don't have one and two cylinders firing. When I pull the plug from the injector while it is running nothing changes. I have looked and cleaned and cleaned again the grounds an I am at a loss. Maybe carb here I come. Do you think it cold be a bag ECM?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
well I am beginning to understand why so many people get the injection gone on their 914, I have put 2 new injectors and a fuel pressure regulator and still don't have one and two cylinders firing. When I pull the plug from the injector while it is running nothing changes. I have looked and cleaned and cleaned again the grounds an I am at a loss. Maybe carb here I come. Do you think it cold be a bag ECM?

Why did you buy just two injectors? Thats not great mixing new pattern with old.

But....yes its possible the ECU is bad.....but highly unlikely. Its pretty rare.

One warning....when working on D-jet that is new to you.....and/or has not been running... you nuwt run on the assumption that 100% of the components, wires and vacuum connections are 100% defective until proven otherwise......dead serious.

The components rarely go bad.....its the connectors.
I have worked on close to one thousand D-jet systems.....what you have is acting exactly like a ground or ECU output issue.....FIRST.

The testing that MUST be done is to pull all 23 female connector pins from each plug....and check that they are clean and tight.

I will go through this in detail in the am. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will pull the ecm plug this wk end and see what I come up with. Thx
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I will pull the ecm plug this wk end and see what I come up with. Thx

Stop for a minute and let's think about a,few things.

You noted you still do not have injectors 1 and 2 firing......right?

As I explained earlier......there is no connection in the ECU between those two injectors. They are on seperate channels. If the channel that drives the injectors in the ECU were bad.....you would have no injectors firing at all.

Right now.....you have 3 and 4 firing right? They are on seperate injection driver channels.

There are only two channels. The injectors are wired to fire in these pairs.....1 and 3.....2 and 4.

So if "3" and "4" are firing......there is nothing wrong with the output of the ECU.

This is 100% a connectivity problem. The only thing injectors 1 and 2 share is that their ground wires pass through the same cable sheathing and their ground wires connect to the engine case at the same female terminal.

You either have both injectors with a faulty female terminal in the plug that plugs into the injector......and it could be either the + coming in from the ECU.....or it could be the - going to the ground lug on the case......or it could be that both ground wires are damaged inside the sheath......or both of the + wires from the ECU could be damaged inside of the sheath......or the forked connectors for the + wires from the ECU plug can be damaged or poorly connected......or......and this is the final check and least probable.... there could be damage to the two output connection #s at the circuit board edge......NOT injector channel electronic component damage.....because you can already see that both channels are functioning.....but circuit trace issues. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Ray,

First off thank you for all the time you are spending on this. I really want to get it running right WITH the fuel infection. What is the best way to check the ground from the block spade connector to the injector plug? I am using a multi meter now. Do you have a better way? And the power side. Do I check it from the ICU plug to the plug at the injector as well. I am willing to try anything at this point. Thx Gary
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

In looking at the wiring looks like 3,4,5 and 6 out of the ECM are the power wires to the injectors. I would think I could test there continunity and make sure the wiring part is good then look at the grounds the same way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: