Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Now you have me confused. First, I am checking the fuel pressure at the barb on the fuel rail that is between 1 & 2. Close to the fuel pressure regulator. That is where the manual says to check it. The hose is coming from the aftermarket fuel pump and going directly to the fuel pressure regulator then out of the regulator to the fuel rail at 1 & 2, over to 3 & 4 and then to the fuel tank. Is this not correct? How else would you be able to control the pressure to 1 & 2? I am also wondering if there is too much fuel pressure coming into the pressure regulator. That is why I can't adjust it lower. Also when I disconnect the line that goes to 1 & 2 fuel rail nothing comes out of the regulator at all. Whats up with that? I have spent alot of time on this. I hope I am getting to the end soon. gary PS Thx Ray for being patient with me. I really want to get it running right. I feel I am very close with your help. Thx again.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
Now you have me confused. First, I am checking the fuel pressure at the barb on the fuel rail that is between 1 & 2. Close to the fuel pressure regulator. That is where the manual says to check it. The hose is coming from the aftermarket fuel pump and going directly to the fuel pressure regulator then out of the regulator to the fuel rail at 1 & 2, over to 3 & 4 and then to the fuel tank. Is this not correct? How else would you be able to control the pressure to 1 & 2? I am also wondering if there is too much fuel pressure coming into the pressure regulator. That is why I can't adjust it lower. Also when I disconnect the line that goes to 1 & 2 fuel rail nothing comes out of the regulator at all. Whats up with that? I have spent alot of time on this. I hope I am getting to the end soon. gary PS Thx Ray for being patient with me. I really want to get it running right. I feel I am very close with your help. Thx again.

There is your problem.....right there. i cant remember which side of the engine compartment a 914 has its regulator on. I "thought" from memory....that since the engine is reversed....being mid-engined.....the regulator is still in the firewall tin on the 3/4 side....which puts it on the passenger side of the car. That would mean that inlet fuel from the pump comes to the engine on the 1/2 side on the drivers side of car.

First.....as far as which side of the engine the barb for checking pressure is.....it does not matter ...."much" whether your car has the factory gauge barb in the 1/2 side or the 3/4 side.

But....your system is plumbed dead wrong.

It goes like this....no matter what pump you use......

Pump outlet>>>to first cylinder pair (either 1/2 or 3/4)>>>>>to cold start valve>>>>>to second cylinder pair>>>>>to side of regulator inside of the engine compartment with the dome and adjusting screw inside of the engine compartment>>>> return hose connection on the backside of firewall tin where the threaded nut is>>>>to the return connection on the fuel tank.

You cannot and do not ever run the fuel pump to the regulator first or second. The fuel feed from the pump MUST go to all four cylinders and the cold start valve in a LOOP first.....which ENDS at the regulator.

This diagram is correct.

https://www.google.com/search?q=porsche+914+fuel+s...S58og8IVM:

Note that it feeds 1 and two on the drivers side....then goes to the cold start valve....and then feeds 3 and 4....and then ends at the fuel pressure regulator. It exits the fuel preasure regulator from the side where the threaded mounting nut is. It canjot go the other direction.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Ok I will be changing the fuel system. I will go from my fuel pump, to 3 & 4, across to 1 & 2, to the fuel pressure regulator and from there to the vent line going back to the tank. I hope that will work. Will post how I made out. Thx gary
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

YES progress, I did the fuel lines and now have 28 psi of fuel pressure. Now, I need to figure out what is causing the miss I have. The engine will run now but it still has a miss in it. I thought maybe I would find a vacuum leak but after water testing everything I couldn't find anything. Is there anything other that the obvious (plugs and wires) that could create the miss? Is there anything in the electronic side that could create it?
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

OK I feel really dumb. I could not get the miss in 1 & 2 to go away. I was pulling my hair out. I was sitting there with a buddy and we were talking about it and then he said, Did you check the firing order. I looked at him and I knew then that was it. I checked and sure enough two of the wires were crossed. ! & 2. I put them in the right place and it just started right up and purrrrrrrred
like a kitten. I want to say thanks for all the help. I got to know my 914 very well. Esp. Ray who stuck with me through the thing the whole way. All I can say is don't forget the basics. I'll say it again. Don't forget the basics. Thanks again everyone, Gary
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
OK I feel really dumb. I could not get the miss in 1 & 2 to go away. I was pulling my hair out. I was sitting there with a buddy and we were talking about it and then he said, Did you check the firing order. I looked at him and I knew then that was it. I checked and sure enough two of the wires were crossed. ! & 2. I put them in the right place and it just started right up and purrrrrrrred
like a kitten. I want to say thanks for all the help. I got to know my 914 very well. Esp. Ray who stuck with me through the thing the whole way. All I can say is don't forget the basics. I'll say it again. Don't forget the basics. Thanks again everyone, Gary

Laughing Very Happy ...you know.....I didn't even suggest firing order. I so have it drilled into my head that they are 1,2,3,4 counterclockwise from the notch on the distributor and they are numbered on the cylinder tin......I never think about that. And....you had enough known D-jet issues.

Good work! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help Ray, I know that system inside and out now. Not a bad thing at all. Thx again.
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 Reply with quote

On and upward. I want to re-install my door panels but most of my clips are broken. I really don't want to put screws in them. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
On and upward. I want to re-install my door panels but most of my clips are broken. I really don't want to put screws in them. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use?

Post a picture. Also check on Automobile Atlanta's web site.

Is this it?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=porsche-914-parts&section=807-05

Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

YES that is it. Ray thank you
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Ok moving on. I took my 914 for a ride. Do they all ride like they have no shocks? I have only rode something similar and it was a go kart. Wow, what a ride. Do I need to replace the rear springs? It is uncomfortable to drive. I knew they were tight but wow. There must be something wrong. Because I never been another one I don't know about the ride. I just can't believe all of you 914 lovers would put up with the ride. The back seems to be bottomed out all the time. Maybe rear sprigs??
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
Ok moving on. I took my 914 for a ride. Do they all ride like they have no shocks? I have only rode something similar and it was a go kart. Wow, what a ride. Do I need to replace the rear springs? It is uncomfortable to drive. I knew they were tight but wow. There must be something wrong. Because I never been another one I don't know about the ride. I just can't believe all of you 914 lovers would put up with the ride. The back seems to be bottomed out all the time. Maybe rear sprigs??

Usually springs are not the problem. Over quite a long time....the springs of any car...dpending on how its ddiven or loaded sitting still can get some compression set.

Its been my experience and with some testing......that unless the springs are holding up a very heavy drivetrain package....like a V8 car......even over 25-30 years the main amount lf difference on spring load is about 10%. Its not little....but its not a lot either.

Usually if its rough riding and feels like its bottoming out a lot....its the shocks. What shocks are on it?

If for example it has the KYB gas-a-just (white with red KYB logo)....which were a cheap short term shock found more often than not in the 90s and even now......and they are more than about 5 years and 50k miles....they will be hard as a rock. They are high pressure gas.

With miles, wear and age.....the gas migrates to both sides of the piston and forms a foam.

They are actually a pretty good shock....but you get what you pay for. They are good for about 3 years or 30k miles.

Look under and see what you have. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Thx Ray, I looked at the shocks and I didn't see anything special about them. The car sat for 7 to 9 years and I don't know too much about them. They could be original for all I know. Sounds like, from what you are telling me I should start by replacing them. I will start looking. Thx again. Should of known that you would give me a direction. Much appreciated. Gary
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

OK, I took the old shocks off and the had a name on them. Kontrolle. I am guessing they are pretty old. I hope new shocks will fit the ride.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
OK, I took the old shocks off and the had a name on them. Kontrolle. I am guessing they are pretty old. I hope new shocks will fit the ride.

Those were a basic repackage brand of shock that used a wide range of shock brands. They are late 70s/early 80s.

What shocks are you buying? The 914 has one of the best handing suspension designs with its weight distribution....hands down. But it does not respond as well to no name non precision parts.

Look at Koni adjustable for top end....Bilstein B-6 heavy duty or performance would be the next choice. In a pinch for just basic driving....KYB Gr-2. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

I ordered some Koni shocks. I am hoping they will fix my ride. I will be getting them in about a week. I will post how I made out. Thx for all your help. gary
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
I ordered some Koni shocks. I am hoping they will fix my ride. I will be getting them in about a week. I will post how I made out. Thx for all your help. gary

Niiiice! Very Happy
Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

The rear shocks DID improve the ride. Thx for the advise. I may even do the front too. I need to get the spit and sputtering gone first. Mostly does it when the throttle is steady out on the rode. When you give it the gas it does not hesitate at all. Maybe some wires and plugs. gary
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
The rear shocks DID improve the ride. Thx for the advise. I may even do the front too. I need to get the spit and sputtering gone first. Mostly does it when the throttle is steady out on the rode. When you give it the gas it does not hesitate at all. Maybe some wires and plugs. gary

This is usually a combination issue. It can be mostly caused by poor adjustment of the TVS and also being slightly off...either rich or lean ...in fuel mixture baseline.

Not all of the books are correct in how they tell you to adjust the TVS. Some books "describe" adjusting the early TVs's...while showing pictures of an early one and vice versa...AND not one book anywhere tells you to adjust..them cycle the switch and re-test/observe...to check if after the the floating part of the switch centers itself...and wear is taken into account...whether the switch is actually still adjusted right or needs further adjustment.

And...later years of build of the TVS's...had some tolerance or variation.

This may help to get a bit of this more clear.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340479

Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Ok I have read all the things that were on that link and I am more confused now than I was when I started reading. Do I need to take the TVS off the car? I don't see how you can adjust it if you don't. The screws are on the bottom and you cant get at them. A little guidance please.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: