Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
Ok I have read all the things that were on that link and I am more confused now than I was when I started reading. Do I need to take the TVS off the car? I don't see how you can adjust it if you don't. The screws are on the bottom and you cant get at them. A little guidance please.

You need to remove the entire TB from the manifold. Does yours have the standard 2.0L TB (vertical in the center of the engine?)......to be more clear...on the 1.7L and 1.8L....you MUST remove the TB from the manifold. It has two screws and you will need a new O-ring gasket for it. Source one from a 2.0L bus. Slightly different but fits and is the only game in town for this part.

On the 2.0L...the TVS is accessible...but the atual adjusting process is much easier with the TB out and in your hand so you can hold the throttle plate firmly closed.

For the 411/412 engines 1.7 and 1.8....and the bus 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0 this is the o-ring https://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16922&cat=&page=1

This is the one for the vertical 2.0 914 throttle body http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=porsche-914-parts&section=117-10

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

I took the throttle body off the car and I have a few questions. First, I don't see anything that can be used to set the curb idle. No screw. I only see a large screw that I assume is for the air. I am not sure how to set it up. How would I adjust curb idle?
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

I have a 1.7L injected 1973 Porsche 914
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
I took the throttle body off the car and I have a few questions. First, I don't see anything that can be used to set the curb idle. No screw. I only see a large screw that I assume is for the air. I am not sure how to set it up. How would I adjust curb idle?

The idle apeed ....what you refer to as "curb idle" is the large screw and it is adjusted while the car is running.

Thats not what we are adjusting here. We are adjusting the TVS....."throttle valve switch"....the black box attached to the throttle shaft with a four or five wire plug going to it.

On the 1.7 and 1.8....this black box is held on by two screws. More precisely its locled in place from turning by those two screws. You will also see a small measureing scale by one or both of the screws.

By the way....apologies. That link to the TVS thread was NOT the right one. I have one out there somewhere showing pictures of the adjustment method. I will fins those and post them here for you. It will make it all clear.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Thx Ray, I have removed the TVS and did the adjustment with an Ohm's meter as described. I have it set now and am putting it back on. Because I didn't find anything I was trying to understand how you adjusted the idle. Thanks for all your help. Gary
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Before I put it back on I will wait until you find the information for my 1.7L D Jet. thx gary
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Bear with me. It will be a day. I spent part of yesterday taking new pictures.....and will have a full write up for the adjusting, cleaning and additional tech issues. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

ok thx for the heads up. I sure it will be worth the waits. I did change out the plugs and wired today. Gary
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
ok thx for the heads up. I sure it will be worth the waits. I did change out the plugs and wired today. Gary

Be sure you get a new o-ring seal for between the TB and plenum/manifold. This is a CRITICAL leak spot that messes with about 90% of type 4 engines.

If your seal is in OK shape.....you can clean it very well with solvent. Get rid of all sealant on all surfaces.

Then put a THIN smear of permatex ultra RTV....either gray, black or copper. They are all good for this. on the TV side of the cone shaped seal. Place the seal on the TB ...wipe up any that squeezes out....and either use weights and tape to hold it in place for 6-8 hours....or you can clamp it back on the manifold but do not tighten the screws more than finger tight.

When you get done adjusting and you go to reinstall the TB...the seal will be sealed to the TB so it will not slip out of place...and you simply put a thin smear of RTV on the manifold side and tighten the TB down finger tight again until its dry and then fully tighten. Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

ok I have a new oring I am just waiting to put it back on. I want to adjust it the way you say to adjust it. Thx
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

Its coming! I am getting the document assembled and placing pictures tonight. It should be up in the morning.
Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

ok thx for update
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
ok thx for update

Here it is! Enjoy and ask questions if you need to!
Ray
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683230
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

SOLD it. Just was way too many unsolved problems
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

crodog1 wrote:
SOLD it. Just was way too many unsolved problems

Really? Confused

I hope it has structural or suspension problems because the D-jet system is not enough "unsolved problems" to sell the car for....in my opinion.

Its only got 23 wires and four sensors. Just sayin.... Wink
Ray
crodog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 D-Jet Reply with quote

I sold it because I could not get it running right. I cut me losses
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: