Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wetcoaster2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me. The poptop latch on my new to me 84 westy is very difficult to unlatch to pop the top and even harder to latch when putting the pop top down. I 've even tried latching it while dangling with my full body weight with no luck. There is nothing blocking or obstructing that I can see. Can the latch be adjusted? Is there anything I can do? I managed to open it today but now can't close it. It requires lots of strength to lift the poptop but I'm managing with that part. Thanks so much for the help.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Simple solution;

Adjust the latch.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Or you can adjust the rear mounts forward and back, which is sometimes necessary with poptop shocks if the front adjust doesn't have enough adjustment range.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Poptop shocks do not apply here.
Or he just failed to mention that accessory.
I think she would have.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Look at the latch, there is a screw/bolt, loosen it and you can adjust the locking tab.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetcoaster2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. I've adjusted the latch and it is easier to open, but it requires a lot of force with about an 8 inch pull from above to close the latch. The roof in the centre dips in a bit with the force. Is this normal? I had a 78 bus before,that was much easier to close. I am not a very strong female, but can work on it:)
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Certainly not an expert as Ive only experience with a couple vans but thet definitely take a little "OOMF!" tp get closed, and thats coming from a fairly large/strimg male.....maybe mine needs adjusting.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Post a photo of the top as it is about to latch. The part attached to the van should not be touching any part of the latch.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Are you taking care to pause most of the way down and take a minute to tuck the canvas in properly?

Walk around the Van. Checking it and then around the hinges inside to make sure they are not binding in the canvas?

Do you have bedding on the top bunk? There is only an inch or so of clearance between the mattress and the top when closed.

Your canvas, is it a thicker non stock option? They can bunch up be a tad harder to close.

Post some photos, photos almost always help.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

my 70+ year old mom pops and closes her top just fine

keep adjusting till it gets aligned right.
maybe a little wax based lube on the latching pin or polish the edge of the tab that comes from the roof to engage..

should not take anyone over 4ft full body weight to close.

are you squeezing both sides of the latch when pulling it in to close?
item C in the diagram below?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetcoaster2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone. My son and I tried everything you suggested and I am now able to open and close the pop top. It's not super easy but I am able to do it! We ended up spraying silicone spray on the latch and plate and the pop top support bars wherever moving parts were. There is obvious wear on the latch faceplate where the pin makes contact with the faceplate. We also even put a little on the exterior seals at the front corners as the seal is new along with the paint job. Thank you again. Now I'm on to researching how to get the fridge to work on propane, and am finding lots of info here on that.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Nice van! And welcome to the Westy World.

Wetcoaster2001 wrote:
We ended up spraying silicone spray on the latch and plate
<....>
We also even put a little on the exterior seals at the front corners as the seal is new along with the paint job.

Siicone spray is proper for lubricating the seals where they slide. It's NOT the proper lube for a mechanical device such as the latch, I don't think it makes any difference. You need a real lubricant, an oil (not classical WD-40 though). WD-40 might help for a few days (until it evaporates) but if WD-40 helps that will CONFIRM to you that a real (oil type) lube is what you need. White Lithium Grease Spray is better, and not 'dirty'. There is now a Lithium grease branded "WD-40" though. Spray it only on the parts that move together. You don't want to get your fingers dirty to close your latch. You need clean fingers to pull your tent fabric in.

Wetcoaster2001 wrote:
There is obvious wear on the latch faceplate where the pin makes contact with the faceplate.

Post a pic of this "wear area", it might help to solve your problem. I'd like to see what the wear area looks like.

My poptop latch is very easy to latch. I just drop the top, pull all the fabric in, then pull down and click it in, no effort.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Make sure to have a window cracked or a door open to allow air to enter or escape when raising or lowering
Wetcoaster2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Here are the photos as requested.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

you are squeezing the latch in (open) a little as you close the top? then release the latch to secure the pin..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetcoaster2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Yes, I'm squeezing the latch all the way and there still is some contact.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

I have an '89 and just started to struggle with my own poptop latch. It seems to line up, I've got the squeeze on the latch handle and the poptop (mostly?) comes down, but then the pin doesn't click through the receiver part of the latch.

Get this - it's only difficult when the temps are HOT. Shoulder season or cool morning? No sweat. Poptop baking in the summer sun? Nah, takes two of us to get it down and to get the pin through to latch.

All the above tells me is to "adjust the latch" and by that, does that mean adjust the bolts on the back of the poptop, to slide the poptop back incrementally? Or is there another adjustment to make?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Those 4 screw heads visible on the bottom photo are adjustable. There is some movement in the holes.

Try that first.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

Thank you, spitsnrovers, I will.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop latch on 84 Westy is way too hard to unlatch and latch Reply with quote

I'm going to jump in here...similar issue. I've got an '86 that was converted to have a pop-top. It is a serious bear to close. Yesterday took 45 min to get the thing to latch. Granted it was crazy hot (95+) so I only took a couple attempts before I was overheating and frustrated, and would take a break.

It seems like the weather/temp affects it. I have a '78 westy original, and that is easy peasy to open and close.

When I bring the top down - it does not appear to be coming down centered (ie the latch on the top is closer to the passenger side than the drivers side. I had the top open for a couple days, using my van as a mini-office. So the combination of that and the heat may have made it worse.

I am sure the tent is not in the way.

When I open it up, and look at the rear hinges - it looks like one of the pivots on the driver's side is loose. I can see a noticeable difference between driver and passenger side. Are these pivot pins repairable?

When I do get the top down - with a lot of effort - it doesn't latch. yesterday was the worst it has been - I had to pull it shut, then climb up on top of the roof, and push it down until I heard it click.

So another question - is there adjustment in the hinges at the rear? or just on the latch? I'm just trying to figure out where to begin my adjustment process...

thanks.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: