Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

This is probably a bad idea, but I can't resist a good adventure. I'm going to see if my recently revived 65 Westy can do an 1,800 mile road trip without a tow truck being involved somewhere. Plans are to utilize I-10 to around Ft Stockton, Texas, then hit 2 lane roads along the border/Rio Grande the rest of the way.

The motor was rebuilt in 2000, but sat 17 years. It runs and sounds nice though, never smokes, and doesn't seem to be consuming large amounts of oil. On a hot day, 90+, after being on the freeway, the green light flickers at idle. On a cool day it doesn't. According to the receipts, the motor has about 3,000 miles on it.

The tranny leaks here and there, but no gushers, and had some whininess in 3rd and especially 4th gear. I added some Lucas oil treatment, and to my surprise it quieted right down.

The tranny is my biggest concern, but of course there are a zillion other things that could flare up.

If you see a VG Westy broke down on the side, do stop and visit Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Have a fun trip. Post up anytime. The bus wants its legs stretched and you're the guy to do it.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Right on! Have a good trip!
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Cool trip! If you have trouble, you can find answers here.

Do you think the guys at Wolfsburg ever thought that the best tool in the VW maintenance tool box would be the internet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

The guys from back at Wolfsburg would still be in shock theses buses are still going, not to mention the miracle of the internet.

Made to Las Cruces. Gonna crash here tonight. Bus scared me a little in Texas canyon back during the heat of the day. Climbing steeper grades, over 1/2 throttle the motor was pinging and making a sound out of the muffler like plastic straps flapping in the wind. It was also skipping Letting off the gas instantly smoothed it all out, but then you're even slower. It seemed like the vacuum distributor was advancing too much. I only statically timed it to 7.5 btdc when installing it. A quick roadside timing adjustment, backing off the timing helped a lot. Once the temperature started coming down the bus ran like a freight train.

pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

These are my favorite threads! Keep the updates coming so we can all live vicariously through you while we are at work.

Remember to always keep safety in mind but we all love to see pictures like that last one.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Great picture, brings back many a road trip memory. Keep em' coming. "Franz and Klaus" on the assembly line would have never imagined their grand children still using these machines on the other side of the world.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Exciting adventure - best of luck as you roll on. Are you running stock power with a FF or all stock and going 50-55mph?
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

57 mph seems to be its favorite speed.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Del Rio TX 1:06 AM. Lots of bugs at night in Texas

Almost called tow truck about 200 miles back, but the gremlin went away after dark. This bus only travels good at night I've discovered.

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

It made it. The brakes are acting up, the muffler blew out, and the motor is idling weird and rough. But smooth as glass at 55 If the temperature hits 80+ sometimes the engine cuts out on long steady grades. Sometimes not. Letting it cool a while seems to help. I have a laser thermometer I've been monitoring engine temps with. The motor isn't running super hot when these misfires under load are occurring. Highest temp I've found in the oil sump /block area is 225 at the oil pump. Rest of the sump is more like 195-200.

But driving at night or the cool of the morning , runs like a freight train. Hopefully there's a Vw shop here in laredo and I can get an electronic ignition and a new coil. My guess is something's getting hot in the ignition system or the vac advance is sticking.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Yourself and your adventure, solidifies that I'm a wimp and should just go for it!
I want to do some road tripping in the bus badly.
Hope your issues are a simple fix. Happy cruising.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Sounds like you are still a tad advanced on the timing Mitch. Get a cheap timing light and set it properly at full advance, ie, engine at cruise rpm's. Sometimes the advance curve is off and the timing at idle will be to advanced at cruise.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Yourself and your adventure, solidifies that I'm a wimp and should just go for it!
I want to do some road tripping in the bus badly...
Ditto! I worry about trips beyond an hour but am gearing up for Buses By the Bridge in January. The driving is fine, it's the engine mechanics that's not my strong point.
Glad you made it AS350driver and thanks for the updates and details. Neat bus, too!
Cuñado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Applause Love these types of trips. please keep pictures coming. Have fun and be safe.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
joefriday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Awesome. Cool bus and safe travels. It sounds like you are traveling at night. Riding with a rear reflector sign?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

plane_ben wrote:
Sounds like you are still a tad advanced on the timing Mitch. Get a cheap timing light and set it properly at full advance, ie, engine at cruise rpm's. Sometimes the advance curve is off and the timing at idle will be to advanced at cruise.

On a used distributor it is common for the advance to be off a bit (2 degrees either side). The curve charts are typically for new distributors. Hopefully never enough to effect good performance.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

[quote="AS350driver"]The guys from back at Wolfsburg would still be in shock theses buses are still going, not to mention the miracle of the internet.

Made to Las Cruces. Gonna crash here tonight. Bus scared me a little in Texas canyon back during the heat of the day. Climbing steeper grades, over 1/2 throttle the motor was pinging and making a sound out of the muffler like plastic straps flapping in the wind. It was also skipping Letting off the gas instantly smoothed it all out, but then you're even slower. It seemed like the vacuum distributor was advancing too much. I only statically timed it to 7.5 btdc when installing it. A quick roadside timing adjustment, backing off the timing helped a lot. Once the temperature started coming down the bus ran like a freight train.

A vacuum only distributor will not over advance. If it's too far advanced the static timing is the culprit. It depends upon what vacuum canister you have installed. It's not unusual for the wrong canister to be in use.

I love road trippin too, best of luck on the journey/glad you made it with little more than lessons learned.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

^^^^
Yep. That's what I'm saying. Two degrees is enough to cause hot running in hot weather. I always time my engines at full advance to the mark on the pulley. That way, I know I'm not over advanced timing wise.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Speaking of that mark on the pulley, I may spring for a degreed pulley!

I two weeks when I head back it will be even warmer. Being restricted to only driving at night down here is pretty hazardous as there are about an average of 3 suicidal deer per mile, waiting to jump out and ruin the nose of your bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: