Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
I only have about 1/4 pedal on my brakes now...

This is what bothers me for your sake. I'm sure you already know this but any time there is a sudden change in a hydraulic system there is some object that moved and didn't come back or some object that wasn't moving and suddenly freed itself. Usually the master reservoir will replenish the missing fluid but if the pedal remains low after pumping then something is out of spec.

I would just hate to find out you blew through the reinforcement of a brake hose and now you have a hose bulge just waiting to pop and fail or some such.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

If it has dual circuit MC one of the circuits in the MC could be bad.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

It is a single circuit. I will check all the soft lines for bulges. They are new from WW.

The brake pedal started out high and firm, but has never provided braking that I feel is in proportion to the pressure applied on the pedal. Now, the pedal only starts resisting at about 1/2 down and is spongy. Pumping the brakes doesn't firm up the pedal, either.
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

bad wheel cylinders do not always leak they can also suck air when you let off of the pedal
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

If you are running a 34 PICT 3 reproduction or not, with a SVA distributor you have a mismatch. It'll get you there but your advance will be screwy and you otter fix that on long trips.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
If you are running a 34 PICT 3 reproduction or not, with a SVA distributor you have a mismatch. It'll get you there but your advance will be screwy and you otter fix that on long trips.

The 34pict produces a different and much stronger vac signal than the SVA distributor needs to work properly. This will cause you to run at or near full advance all the time. This probably explains the pinging you've been hearing. You need to find tbe proper distributor asap before you damage your engine from over advance.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Dead in the water..... the bus ran great all day and home from work tonight. I've been removing the rotor when I go into my hotel for theft deterrent purposes.

Got hungry , installed the rotor, the bus fired about twice but then just cranked. It was much cooler than in the daytime. Went out back, strong odor of gas, gas dripping out of left intake boot area. It went through a spell of this last week before I left, adjusting the choke to less chokage helped. So I adjusted the choke fully off. I've cranked til the battery is almost dead, it won't hit a lick. Checked the points, coil wire, inside distributor etc. I'm pretty sure removing the rotor and reinstalling it wouldn't cause this. I have no one to crank while I check for spark. Pretty frustrating. I even walked to the truck stop down the road and got some starting fluid. No effect.

Any ideas ? aside from the usual "just get an OE NOS German Solex carb!!" Lol. If I find one growing on a tree I'll bolt it on, but for now I'm stuck with this crappy Chinese empi.

Edit: I gave a bum, that came along wanting a handout, $5 to help me by cranking it while I checked spark. It had spark going to the plugs, but still wouldn't start. He suggested tapping the carb with a wrench while I cranked. Since I'd been trying for 2 hours I was like sure, what could it hurt? So as I hit the starter, he started tapping here and there on the carb with a wrench. To my amazement, it fired right off idling on 3 cylinders. After about 10 seconds it started hitting on all 4 and smoothed right out. Gave him $10 more bucks and offered him a ride to whataburger, but he wanted dropped off at the truck stop, which I obliged. Drove around, ran fine. After eating, tried to drive back to the hotel, but you all can guess what it did.......Yup, flooded so bad, I considered building an Ark. After enlisting the help of another passerby to crank while I tapped the carb with a wrench, it fired up again and unflooded itself again.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Sounds like the carb shut off valve is sticking open. Both the new carbs and new shut off valves have a lot of reports of problems. You can get an OG used carb rebuilt by several folks in the classifieds. For now you might have to tap the left side of the carb with a screw driver handle to close that valve each time you shut down the engine. Also check oil level before starting after it has sat for much more than a few minutes. Too much fuel in the oil will lessen the lubrication properties of the oil. If enough fuel gets in there the oil level can get high enough to seep into the cylinders and hydro-lock the engine up. You can end up bending up engine parts if that happens.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

I'd check the cut-off needle valve on top of the float. Then make sure the shut off solenoid on the side of the carb for the fuel/air is connected correctly. They are known to stick closed or not work for long.

Us veterans who've been around these old VW's for decades are only trying to warn and educate the newer VW folks about the poor quality Chinese parts.

Tim at Volkzbitz sells LOTS of his beautifully restored German Solex carbs to folks who made the mistake of buying a Chinese copy first and had tons of problems with it.

Myself and others also sell lots of restored German Bosch distributors to people who can't get their $50-100 Chinese knock off distributor to work or work well.

Let's hope you get your current problem sorted out. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Yes, sounds like needle-and-seat problem. Might be as simple as the needle assembly is loose or maybe there is a particle in the needle seat. If you have the wherewithall, take off the carb top and blow through the fuel inlet while trying the needle push pin. Also check the operation of how the float is moving through its arc.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Got tired of laying in the dirt at the hotel and took the bus to a shop for an oil change and brake bleed. Bleeding the brakes helped the pedal a little bit but I noticed as I left that they'd left the parking brake on during the process. I found a shady spot to check the valves.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
joefriday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

I see you posted elsewhere. How did the rest of your trip go??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

I'm still here in Texas. I head back to AZ next week. The bus is running ok. I'm considering ordering an electronic ignition for it for the return trip.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

AS350driver, been immensely enjoying this thread, and commiserating with you as you experience challenges.

Just wanted to say that the tone of your demeanor and the trip comes across as both positive and optimistic.

Thanks for that; one has to assume that you are having fun despite any troubles. Hope your journey back is issue-free.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Dang man!
get close to Tucson and ill come get ya!
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Even with the issues its an awesome trip, when you fix something along the way, you now own that information, whether you use it for yourself on another trip or help out someone else who is baffled by these "simple" machines. I say simple because there isn't a lot of computerized stuff to try to figure out, but not so simple as the car doesn't diagnose itself either. It is from an age when mechanics were exactly that. Lots of mechanics today are parts changers. If you are a mechanic don't get offended, you wouldn't be reading this thread if you were one of the parts changers mentioned, but I am sure you know who i am talking about.

So cool that a bum was able to help you out, you cant make stories like this up, and you sure as hell don't experience stuff like this driving your new Honda or leaving your bus in the garage.

AWESOME THREAD!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Home yet? Or still in Texas?
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Still here. Was asked to stay another 2 weeks to fly some hours off some aircraft. I'm mulling over ordering another carburetor as finding a shop here in laredo to unscrew this one seems like a long shot.
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

That would be the cheaper of the two options. No locals on the samba rescue site to help out?
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip! Tucson, to Laredo, TX Reply with quote

Maybe order the new carb to get you home and then have your old one fixed to keep in the bus as a spare?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: