Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 motor in a 73 vw bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
weaselx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

I have a 77 type 4 engine to go into my 73 type 2 bus, and what do I need to do to make it work wiring and otherwise. Im 18 years old and starting to get into Volkswagens and don’t know a ton of wiring just looking for some help
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

one thing is stud length, the bottom ones. Those transaxles, '73 & '77 take a different length bottom stud, both sides, when you go to mate engine to transaxle.

Also is the '77 complete with it's fuel injection system. That's a world away from the 1973 dual carb set up & dual vacuum distributor, and the 'perch' needed for the fuel injection airbox.

Work & more work. edit: there's also the double relay needed for fuel injection, & the 'slot' for the Bosch computer, near the battery.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

Picture time, lets see what you are working with.....

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

The bellhousing, clutch-flywheel, and starter all need to match. You need to go with either an all '72-'75 set or an all '76-'79 set.
weaselx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

Clutch, flywheel and starter is right. My dad helped with that. I have a progressive 2bbl carb or the fuel injection but I thought I would use the carb for now because of funds at the moment. Good idea or bad? I’ve never wired anything so I really need help with that part. I don’t know what goes to where.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

Remove the complete FI system from the '77 and box it up well so nothing gets lost. Then just dress the '77 engine out just the way the '73 engine now is. Piece by piece, wire by wire. You may or may not want to stick with the '77 exhaust.
weaselx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

When I first got the car it didn’t have an engine or transmission in it so me and my dad had to source them both, we put both the engine and the transmission in the bus correctly but I need to know how to wire the engine for it to run just can’t seem to figure out what goes where.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

You have to have power from the ignition switch to the ignition coil and maybe power to an electric choke and to an electric fuel pump if you are running one. You also need to wire up the alternator if you are missing the harness, new ones can be had from VW specialty shops and are the way to go. You also need power from the #50 terminal on the ignition switch to the #50 terminal on the starter solenoid, the big B+ wire from the battery to the lug on the solenoid also needs to be in place.

You must have a ground strap going from the transmission to the frame or the engine to the frame and from the negative post on the battery to the body.

I suspect that most of these wires are already there as most they with the body when the engine is removed.
Hodence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

My best recommendation would be to find a complete wiring diagram for your engine. If you need a new harness, I did a similar engine swap a couple of years back and went with a Wolfsburg West Wiring harness. The quality was phenomenal and they included a full wiring diagram that ended up being my bible for the following 8 months. Razz If you could find both a diagram from 73 and 77 you could compare and get the best idea of what you're going to have to improvise.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

You need the factory Bentley manual which will have the wiring diagram for the 73. You need to identify and tag the following wires,
IGN coil positive
Choke
Oil pressure sender
Alternator field exciter
Starter solenoid
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 77 motor in a 73 vw bus Reply with quote

You will need a 12 volt test light and a multimeter would also be handy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: