Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Is it normal for a Dual MC set-up to feel different from a single MC system?

Installed a system in my 65 a few years back and noticed over time it just feels different. When i brake the peddle travels 80% to the floor and then engages. The brakes feel solid but alot of travel.

I am using a bay window MC with a volvo reservoir. The MC has a 1/2" mount spacer and the push rod has no play when engaging the MC. The front MC circuit goes to the rear brakes. The rear MC circuit goes to the front brakes.

Wheels are adjusted right and no air in line. All parts are in good shape

This does not seam normal.

In the below pictures the second one is at rest. Third is the initial stroke which does not apply any pressure to the breaks. The last one is where all the breaking takes place.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

You are right this is not normal. Brakes should feel the same as a single circuit if the piston diameter is the same. By "wheels adjusted right" do you mean all 8 star adjusters are adjusted correctly to compensate for wear? How does your parking brake feel? The pushrod must have SOME play to function properly.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Your brake pedal return spring may be in the wrong place. It needs to be wound tighter and attached to the rear of the arm. Perhaps your pedal is not returning all the way up combined with your lack of pushrod gap is not allowing reservoir fluid in.
Kurt

1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Is it normal for a Dual MC set-up to feel different from a single MC system?

No. There should be no feel difference.

Quote:

Installed a system in my 65 a few years back and noticed over time it just feels different. When i brake the peddle travels 80% to the floor and then engages. The brakes feel solid but alot of travel.

80% travel means a PROBLEM. You've driven it for years like that? Scary.

80% travel means one of many things:
Very out of adjustment shoes. (gotta adjust all 4 corners, too).
Air in the system.
A leak in the system (on a single circuit the pedal will hit the floor with a leak - with a dual circuit you'll lose half+, so 80% travel might be about right).
A misconfigured master cyl with no free play and the "top" circuit isn't returning enough to recharge with fluid and reset the valve.

Quote:

the push rod has no play when engaging the MC.

And there's one of your major problems. You need to either shim that MC further away, buy a correctly fitting MC (or MC/adapter combo), or adjust or cut your pushrod.

That free play is IMPORTANT.
...david - '66 SO-44 #231
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Thank you guys.

I am betting the problem then is no play in the pushrod and therefor no fluid is getting into the MC.

All four corners are adjusted. No leaks anywhere and the E-brake works fine. I do see that my brake spring is not in the right spot (Thanks Kurt) but the peddle does return all the way up easily.

The bus is rarely driven. She's a garage queen.

I will report back my findings.
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Isn't there a possibility that certain bay MC's that will create several problems in a split (residual valves, piston bore & stroke?) I don't think you can just pop on a bay MC with the spacer and rock n roll. I know a friend did just that and had same issues as the OP plus the pedal was hard to push as well once the braking action occured. Using a '67 MC solved the issues he was having. Just a thought: is the correct MC installed?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

60freak wrote:
Just a thought: is the correct MC installed?
He said it was Bay + spacer... so, "correct" isn't in the picture.

But, good point about residual or check valve(s).
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

I cannot locate the original receipt for the MC but the part number was recommended on this forum. A 67 unit was out of reach.

Not sure how to tell after the fact which MC i have. Will look for a number tonight.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

From the shape of the MC, it looks like it is a 1971-79 Bus type. It does sound like one of the two circuits in the MC has failed.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
I cannot locate the original receipt for the MC but the part number was recommended on this forum. A 67 unit was out of reach.

Not sure how to tell after the fact which MC i have. Will look for a number tonight.

A number of vendors (EIS?) sell the Chinese built 67 dual circuit master. I have not heard of any problems with them. Price is quite reasonable.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Last night i pulled the MC and shortened the push rod. I then re-installed it and properly adjusted it so there was a 1/32 gap at peddle rest.

I did not fix the spring yet but after pressing the peddle down about 20 times i feel a marginal improvement.

I am going to re-check the wheel adjustment again next.

I looked for a part number on the MC. It is an EIS unit but all i found were casting numbers on it. "PAS 85112" and a large sideways "25".

Is there anything else at the MC end that i should check out? Anything about how the brake lines connect to the MC?

Thank you for the guidance.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Is there anything else at the MC end that i should check out? Anything about how the brake lines connect to the MC?

Be smart to check everything. All too easy to mix up the LF brake line with the one line going to the rears.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Found the MC part number i used.

211 611 021 A

Oh. The bus is not for sure parked till this is fixed.

Matthew

Last edited by matthew henricks on Wed May 03, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

If I am replacing the brake system in my 62 with a 67 complete setup, do I still need the adapter?
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Nubby wrote:
If I am replacing the brake system in my 62 with a 67 complete setup, do I still need the adapter?

No you do not need the the adapter, however you will need a "T" fitting for the front brake line and one short section of brake line (approx 8" or so) to tee the L & R front brake lines together.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Before i go any further can anyone confirm that MC part number
211 611 021 A is one that will work?

Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

Thanks

If is originally fitted to 1971-79 Bus, then yes.

Just did a WWW search for "VW 211 611 021 A" and it shows up being sold for such.
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

Thanks

I personally would not use that MC, it is designed to have a "booster" most likely you are gonna be stomping hard on the pedal to stop decent. I would only use a '67 master or possibly an early bay. I'm pretty sure the late model bay MC has some differences that can cause issues, like piston bore and stroke, as well as the residual valves. If you plan to swap the brake booster in the bus as well, then yeah I would say the late model MC is what to use. Just do it right, get a '67 MC, they repop them for reasonably good prices. I picked my last one up for $100 or so brand new.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Well so far no problem for us with the 1971-79 Bus MC over about 150,000 miles. It should be a little harder to lock the brakes than the 1967 MC, but at same time that gives you a bit more control not to lock the brakes which is something you want to avoid.
Sure if you have a bad leg get the vacuum booster to help!
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Single vs. Dual Circuit Master Cylinder behavior. Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I am looking at my options. I suspect i am going to find a problem in one of the rear wheels now that i am looking. One does not grab when using the E-brake so i will start there.

If i switch to the 67 MC, will i be able to mount my belly pan without chopping it? Sure would like to stick that back on.

Will report back but likely not for a few weeks as i do not see time in the near future to tackle this.

Matthew
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: