Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring a new 1971 ignition switch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: wiring a new 1971 ignition switch Reply with quote

I have a question on wiring my new ignition switch for my 71 bay window bus. The black wire from the ignition switch has two female connectors. Does anyone know where the shorter stubbed out black wire connector hooks in? I wired all the other ignition switch wires into the clear plastic connector receptical and my bus starts up fine. The previous switch had the black wire and the black-yellow wire fused together, possibly to power the headlights. My headlights are not coming on now but the parking lights work fine. Any ideas or a picture of where the extra black wire connector hooks in?
Thanks,
Scott
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

The second connector on the black wire is not used on German made buses, it's present on most Brazilian made switches and must be for something our buses don't have. Tape it up.

Did the switch you purchased not have the black/yellow (circuit X) wire?, you'll need to find some other way to power your headlights and wipers if it didn't.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

Headlight wiring ciruit
click on pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

Hey Thank you. I taped off the other black wire connector. The BLK/ Y wire goes into the clear plastic connector and then to the headlights switch. I have swapped out the headlights switch and the relay and there is no change. I taped off the grey wire to that goes to the buzzer. Everything else appears to be wired correctly. Any ideas??
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

You need to get out your meter or test light and determine where you have power and where you don't.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

The BLK/ Y wire goes into the clear plastic connector and then to the headlights switch.

goes into the clear plastic connector and connects to Which color Wire and connects to Which Terminal on the light switch?

First check your fuses.
Use the wiring diagram I posted ^^Above^^ and with the headlight switch on test for power.
Ignition switch D-x>E1-x>E1-56>J-56

click on pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

Thanks. Your right. The prev owner removed the BLK/Y wire from the fuse box and had the BLK/Y from the clear connector going directly to the headlights. I think that solves it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

You are aware the key has to be in the run position for the headlights to work, right?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You are aware the key has to be in the run position for the headlights to work, right?

Do you mean headlights or high beams?
Both my late 60's rigs the headlights are hot without the key..
If indeed so,when did VW change this and why?
It's nice to have use of the headlights in an emergency without having the key on,subsequently burning the points
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

fes wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Do you mean headlights or high beams?
Both my late 60's rigs the headlights are hot without the key..
If indeed so,when did VW change this and why?
It's nice to have use of the headlights in an emergency without having the key on,subsequently burning the points

The feature starts in 1971, I guess it's to prevent killing the battery by leaving the headlights on, the parking lights still work with the key off.

Слава Україні!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

if your ignition switch doesn't have a black/yellow wire, make up a short jumper and jump a spare 30 terminal to the X terminal on the headlight switch.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring a new ignition switch Reply with quote

Hey we got it. Running and headlights work. Thanks everyone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: