Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking advice on picking up a container shipped bus (Big Emma)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Seeking advice on picking up a container shipped bus (Big Emma) Reply with quote

As the title states - I am looking for any advice, help, tips on picking up a bus that is being shipped in a container.

Some of you may have seen the Go Big Emma thread about the bus being caught in a flash flood. I don't need to rehash that here.

The bus is being shipped to Miami (or possibly Fort Lauderdale) in a container. This is a new one on me and I have no idea what to expect. For instance - can I drive right up to it to get it loaded onto a trailer or do we need to get it moved to a place where we can load it? Do they get it out of the container - or do we do that? What sort of customs hassles should I expect?

Emma and Sven are making all the shipping arrangements, and I am planning on driving down, renting a trailer and picking up Emma (who is going to fly to wherever the bus gets shipped to). Then the both of us are going to get the bus.

I am just trying to be as prepared as possible.

So - any words of wisdom?

Thanks - Andrew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on picking up a container shipped bus (Big Emma) Reply with quote

I would call the shipping company and ask.. but I am thinking it might be wise to show up with a flatbed .. unless you bought the whole container .. then a semi
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on picking up a container shipped bus (Big Emma) Reply with quote

I would think it's coming to Miami's port and you just pick it up from the shipper. I would think they will get it out of the container after is passes customs.
I've shipped a lot of stuff the other way via Miami to Suriname and they empty the containers. Why? usually you are just renting the space inside and the shipper packs other stuff into the container even if it's just a 20 ft one.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on picking up a container shipped bus (Big Emma) Reply with quote

Auto Transport/Shipping Information
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170895
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on picking up a container shipped bus (Big Emma) Reply with quote

Might be cheaper to have the container picked up in Miami (or possibly Fort Lauderdale) and trucked to your house. Or a yard near you.
Good luck
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on picking up a container shipped bus (Big Emma) Reply with quote

It depends on whether Miami has a destuffing clause with thier Longshoremen, some ports have to unload the box at the dock, others can let the box leave for a distant destination.
How are you arranging shipment?, is it through a freight company using a broker?, or have you just hired a container and booked passage on a ship?
Most brokered jobs through a shipping and/or logistics company include some drayage to a nearby warehouse, or in your case tow yard. Having the container moved further will involve per mile truck charges and a daily chassis rental, and once it's there the bus is still up ~48" off the road in the box so you'll need a dock or some way to roll it out. Hiring a tilt deck tow truck is the cheapest and best way to get a vehicle out of a container, even if they only get it out of the box and immediately roll it onto your trailer without driving anywhere.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: