Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

Looking good!

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

Sloride, I noticed in your build that you did not add the front torque mount. Do you see any significant movement in the engine when you rev the throttle body by hand? I am guessing that it is not a deal breaker to delete it since you are running without it.

I got the new throttle cable mount sorted out. It will need some adjusting for sure but I won't know until everything is hooked up later. Thinking it should work well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I lifted the engine/tranny to check position knowing that with the new transmission carrier in place and the correct 15 degree engine slant, orientation of things would be a little different than before. I did not expect to see this much difference. Like 4.5 inches higher. The intake manifold wouldn't even fit due to the decreased headspace. I repositioned the old torque stop with grips to get an estimate on how things have moved with the new setup.

I am considering lowering the setup to where it was to begin with. Like some mod to the transmission carrier or adding an extension to the hangers on the bellhousing. Either way I am gonna need to go shopping for steel today.

Opinions are like A$$holes, everybody has one and yours all stink!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

I don't use the front mount. I don't know of anyone who has done this swap that does. I only use the front trans mount and the one on each side of the motor to the rear frame as per the original bus mounts.

I just reinstalled the motor in mine yesterday. Wiring and hoses today.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

Slo Ride-I did a quick check of this thread and didn't see it (but it was real quick, so I maybe missed).

Are you using the two bellhousing bolts in your bus? Can you comment on vibration? Edit: We were typing at the same time! So it appears you didn't.

As I said before, I know I read somewhere more than one person said they had a lot of vibrations with I4 motors, but removing that mount solved them.

Frank-If you do use the two transmission bolts, it seems to me that they would function as a torque stop.

Since you're really wanting to use the transmission bellhousing bolts, I wouldn't bother to add the torque stop mount for now. I'm thinking at least wait until you get it together and running to decide.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
As I said before, I know I read somewhere more than one person said they had a lot of vibrations with I4 motors, but removing that mount solved them.

That was me, and yeah there was a lot of vibration with the bellhousing mount bolted in.

Make sure your engine mounts are center-of-mass centered in the motor, though -- it turns out my old engine mounting system was shifting a lot of weight forwards onto the transmission mount at the nose. This leads to premature mount failure and vibrations .. and possibly caused strain on the hockey stick which may have lead to the breakage of the 3/4 shift fork end inside the nosecone. At least on mine. I was using a 4th-gear bungee cord for the summer, then one day it stopped going into 4th entirely.

I never ran a snubber mount and never had issue with the motor twisting under acceleration or load. OTOH, while I was using Fox mount brackets on the block, the mounts themselves were Ford Tempo transmission mounts..
Franklinstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

I made a bracket to adapt the transmission to the carrier. Welded up some angle iron and tubes. Function over looks! Preserve parts by making it a bolt in application.

It places the bellhousing about 1.75 inches lower than original. The torque snubber on the engine is only slightly higher than before now so everything else should fit in the engine compartment as previously. Now onto the motor mounts. Gonna really try to keep things balanced front to back to protect the nosecone mount since those don't grow on trees.

The good part is that the cylinder head oil pressure sensor fits well so i can run it!

Keeping busy...

Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

i think that is going to work out for you just fine. Lowered just enough so it won't drop the engine too low. If it reduces the vibrations at highway speeds I may have to consider it as well.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

I was looking at your throttle mount and can't picture where it is located.

Here is what I use. I mount it on the bottom starter bolt. Works well but makes for a stiffer pedal than I like and I assume that Is caused by the weaving of a lengthened cable from driver's side over to the passengers.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

You might be able to use that heater outlet again. Looks like there is clearance from here.

Then you can use a water valve tied into the bus' lever to control the heater water temp!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

Nice to see some other projects.... been a few years since I've Samba'd... My project has been insured a few times since creation, but I definitely had troubles with my accelerator cables for the mod. Will have to double check how I did it - definitely think I should adapt like you guys have done.

Maybe my bus will drive again... Smile
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

When I did the new throttle cable for my new engine I used bulk lined bicycle brake cable housing and a 4445mm Jagwire tandem bike derailleur cable (longest I could find). I put the factory swaged end at the throttle body and used a cable
clevis shackle from carbuildersolutions.com in the UK on the pedal end (https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/cable-shackle-and-pin-assembly). I had to build holders for the housing at each end but nothing too difficult, and made my own adjuster at the TB end of the housing to take up slack. I can go take pictures on Thursday if someone wants/needs them, don't have any handy and am going to be too busy to take any in the meantime...

Works nice and smoothly.
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
When I did the new throttle cable for my new engine I used bulk lined bicycle brake cable housing and a 4445mm Jagwire tandem bike derailleur cable (longest I could find). I put the factory swaged end at the throttle body and used a cable
clevis shackle from carbuildersolutions.com in the UK on the pedal end (https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/cable-shackle-and-pin-assembly). I had to build holders for the housing at each end but nothing too difficult, and made my own adjuster at the TB end of the housing to take up slack. I can go take pictures on Thursday if someone wants/needs them, don't have any handy and am going to be too busy to take any in the meantime...

Works nice and smoothly.

Id take pics when you get a chance. I'm not working on it much right now. Currently has no gas pedal though lol. Hard to move it around.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

For what its worth......the kriginal front mount on the I-4 engines in the rabbits and cabrios....was not to damp vibration or hold the engine up per -se......it was to prevent torque rotation that caused shift linkage issues on the original rabbit linkage.

That being said.....when it was going bad....lifespan of the the drivers side engine mount and the one at the trans bottom/back were shorter. It was very hard to drive in stop and go traffic with a bad front mount and nearly impossible with it missing. It caused shjfting issues.

But it was not a hard mount. It was a travel limiter.if you have rigid mounts elsewhere to keep the engine stationary......you should not need the front moumt. Ray
Franklinstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
I was looking at your throttle mount and can't picture where it is located.

Here are a few pictures of the throttle cable to help orient things. I chose to mount it on the Bus frame instead of the transmission to keep things simple. I agree that the pedal feels stiffer (as compared to the setup I had before). Perhaps the cable guide tube being bent more now is causing this, and shortening it might lessen the bend and lower the friction on the cable. It works so I might just leave it as is. I should add that the pedal/accelerator cable setup is stock up to the brass cable connector in the first picture.

One can see the starter in the lower right corner.

The throttle cable mount on the engine itself is located on the cylinder head cover.

I had the Bus out for a camping trip last weekend. Went 200 miles with only needing to adjust the stop plate under the shifter lever on the driver floor. The engine shows no wobble or need for the torque mount as far as I can tell. It is a bit tight to work around in the engine bay but not impossible.

Really old pictures of before the redux.....

GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8L VW Fox watercooled conversion - Riviera Redux Reply with quote

Nice work. 😉...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: