Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Westy TinTop build thread
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Well, I have enough small threads going that I thought it would be worth posting a comprehensive thread as I get closer to completing the bus.

I bought it in February of 2016 for a great deal. The guy wasn't advertising the Bus but was open to it "going to a good home" as long as someone didn't mind the busted in nose.

Mechanically, the bus was in great shape for the most part. He kept it running well. Unfortunately, the interior was a bit ratty and the exterior definitely had some rust issues, aside from the obvious body damage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I first bought the bus, I thought it was just going to be a surf vehicle...chill in my driveway and then drive me the 5 miles to the beach for a surf. However, after my first little day-trip I realized I was hooked. Over the next few months, the bus gradually became my main source of weekend entertainment. It's where I had my first few dates with my then-girlfriend, and it even took us to the spot where I proposed to my now-fiancé.

When we realized how much fun we were having in the bus, we decided we should spend some money on Davy Bum-Bum. We didn't want to "restore" him, but make him a bit more comfortable and ensure he would be around for years to come...we hope to always have him in the family.

So, I set to work on the interior rust. I figured I could repair the rust, add some sound deadening, and redo the interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mffTmQfqJbo&t=47s

I then realized that if I was spending all of the money and time to redo the interior, I needed to redo the seals since nearly all of them leaked. Then I realized that I can't just replace the seals without addressing the rust around the sills. Long story short, I completely disassembled the bus, dealt with the rust the best I could, and took it to get the nose repaired and a new coat of paint:

Now that the bus is back I am slowly ticking off the rest of the list.

So far I've installed new floors (Pergo Outlast! Haha), made new wooden wall panels, added new insulation, installed a rack system, installed one of Jeremy's hitches, and bought a cool old trailer to tow my motorcycle.

I'll get some photos up soon of the rest of the work, then show progress as we march towards the finish line. The goal is to be done by the end of the month for a music festival. Fingers crossed.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Nice Job. Looks Great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Sweet color!
caseyr02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Dang! Looking Sharp!
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Any pics of the body work in progress? Did they replace the nose, pound it out? How were the window seal areas?

Nice color.
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Thanks all! Here are some progress photos. The window seals weren't bad, I stripped them down to metal and cleaned them up, it was a pretty easy fix for the most part.

All-in-all, I think I got what I paid for work wise. I paid $6k and asked to have it back within a month (they did it in two weeks). The paint looks good and I think it added some life to the bus, but they also did a lot of weird things like painting over the emblem holes, painting over the windshield washer sprayers, got overspray on the (admittedly ratty) sun visors, etc.

I did about 10% of the bodywork myself, did a bit of prep, and let them take the rest. The nose was pounded out for the upper 2/3s, but the lower 1/3 was replaced.

One funny thing, I had originally asked for the bus to be this blue on the lower section and white up top. When we went to pick it up, my fiancé (who is more forward than I) had the cajones to ask why it wasn't white up top...the guy admitted they forgot until after it was painted. But they offered to paint it later if we still wanted the white after our honeymoon. Haha.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Not that it means anything, but I kinda like the solid color.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Not that it means anything, but I kinda like the solid color.

I actually agree. Now that I have it and have spent time with it, I prefer the solid color...even if I paid the amount based on having it two tone. Haha.

JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

I really like the paint color and solid scheme. I think that you are closer to original factory than you think. I believe that all Westfalia campers were solid color. I have attached a photo of the Westfalia plant that I uploaded from Samba. Notice that ALL of the campers, including the tin-tops, are solid color, not two tone.
Best of luck with your Bus!

1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Cavilry6 wrote:
One funny thing, I had originally asked for the bus to be this blue on the lower section and white up top. When we went to pick it up, my fiancé (who is more forward than I) had the cajones to ask why it wasn't white up top...the guy admitted they forgot until after it was painted. But they offered to paint it later if we still wanted the white after our honeymoon. Haha.
I had a friend who was paying a guy to paint his bus like that; white top and blue bottom. Then, my friend went out of town while his bus was being painted. When it was done, he called me and asked how the paint job had come out.

I told him "It looks fine.." I said, "but if it was my bus, I would have painted it the other way around: with the top white and the bottom blue."

My friend was crestfallen. I could hear the dismay in his voice (long distance).
After he calmed down a bit, I confessed that it really had been painted correctly (white top and blue bottom).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

static wrote:
I had a friend who was paying a guy to paint his bus like that; white top and blue bottom. Then, my friend went out of town while his bus was being painted. When it was done, he called me and asked how the paint job had come out.

I told him "It looks fine.." I said, "but if it was my bus, I would have painted it the other way around: with the top white and the bottom blue."

My friend was crestfallen. I could hear the dismay in his voice (long distance).
After he calmed down a bit, I confessed that it really had been painted correctly (white top and blue bottom).

Static... you are evil, mean, cruel and nasty!

In other words, you're just like me. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Thanks all!

You're definitely making me feel better about the solid color Smile I really do like it, and now I can tell people why. Haha.

I spent last night tidying up the interior. The curtains, floor, and walls are now done. Basically, at this point I am just waiting on shipments to start rolling in from SewFine so that I can start putting the rest back together and then finish the stereo install.

FWIW, SewFine has been GREAT to work with. The final bill hurt a bit, but I am replacing every soft part of the interior. They know I am on a tight timeline so they are sending me things as they get done and doing their best to send them in the order they need to be installed. Major kudos to them!

Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Well, the nightly work on the bus has continued as much as wedding planning has allowed.

Next up will be:
• I am almost done refurbishing the front bumper. New centerpiece from Bus Depot and some hard work on the side sections and it's almost done.
• I ordered the electric windshield washer kit from Bus Depot as well. I've never had the washers and figured it would be nice to have on a 3,000 mile road trip.
• Still waiting on the bushing for the steering column. The shop that did the body work lost/broke it so I need to figure out how that goes back together.
• The first part of the shipment from SewFine arrived. The armrest vinyl and new pads for the front buckets, so I will get going on that soon.
• I am blessed to have some connections with Kicker and Pioneer, so I need to get the new speakers and stereo installed. Yay!
• Mostly I'm just fiddling about for now...but once the rest comes in from SewFine it will be a rush to get it all ready to head out on the trial trip in exactly two weeks. Ahhhhhh!

Bus Depot sent me two of the same vent wing seals when I bought the full kit. Unfortunately, I waited 8 months to start replacing them and by the time I realized they wouldn't make it right...to say the least I'm pretty pissed.

Anywho, I did get the hitch from Jeremy and my new bike rack installed, so when I took the bus to the body shop I loaded up my bike in case I needed to leave it overnight for them to finish installing the windows. Works like a charm!

Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

I'll be honest, when you first posted here asking about a 'dream engine' I dismissed you as another dreamer lacking the actual gumption to go the mile and make their bus nice.

Kudos to you for proving my nihilistic self wrong, that bus looks fantastic, and you're doing a great job on it.

Also, I personally really like the single-tone paintscheme, I feel like Bays always look better one color, save the white top for Splits.

On a side note, have you done anything to the drivetrain? Might want to throw a set of pads/rotors on it, or just do some other easy maintenance while you're at it so your bus drives as good as it looks.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Thanks so much Cap!

I'll admit I do have an unfortunate tendency to be a bit too dreamy...I hatch a lot of great (to me) ideas but my ADD brain usually bounces on to some other project before I can see it through. That said, a few projects really have hooked me and kept my interest in seeing them through...my 1975 CB750F being one, and the Bus being the other...it doesn't hurt that I have my beautiful fiancé encouraging me along the way since she loves the Bus as much as I do.

Can't agree more on the color. I let the body guy off the hook on Tuesday. I told him that I appreciated his offer to have me come back to have the top painted white, but that I was going to stick with the color as-is. He gave me a huge hug. Haha.

For the drivetrain I have done a once-over (for what it's worth) to ensure nothing is glaringly wrong. The goal is to drive it as-is on my 300 mile road trip at the end of the month and then bring it back and do a serious service on it before the 3,000 mile road trip in August.

I haven't determined yet if I will try to tackle that myself or take it to a mechanic. I WANT to do it myself to be better acquainted with the Bus and ensure I can do it in the future (I know that paying for others to do the work is a great way to go broke owning an old VW) but I also know that work travel and wedding planning might make that a tall order.

Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Well done on your bus. I like the solid colour as well.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Looks great!!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

JimmyJagged wrote:
I really like the paint color and solid scheme. I think that you are closer to original factory than you think. I believe that all Westfalia campers were solid color. I have attached a photo of the Westfalia plant that I uploaded from Samba. Notice that ALL of the campers, including the tin-tops, are solid color, not two tone.
Best of luck with your Bus!

With that many vans converted, one has to wonder what they did with the factory parts that they removed, like the middle side windows & even interior parts, did they sell them back to VW?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Cavilry6 wrote:

my concern is that they just laid these patch panels over the existing floors & welded them down. you might want to look at the bottom side of the floors & see if the originals were removed, if they weren't, then water can get between the layers & rust everything out even faster.

Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cavilry6 wrote:

my concern is that they just laid these patch panels over the existing floors & welded them down. you might want to look at the bottom side of the floors & see if the originals were removed, if they weren't, then water can get between the layers & rust everything out even faster.

When they sent me these photos, that is literally the first thing I did. I didn't want to insult them by asking so when I had to come by and drop off some window seals I asked if I could take a look at the progress overall. Dropped down and looked under when they weren't looking.

The drivers side has about a 1/2 inch lip of overlap all the way around. The passenger side is a bit more overlap in a few spots, but no more than 1/2 - 1 inch in most spots.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: