Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Westy TinTop build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

I got to work on the only upholstery I could last night (still waiting on the rest). Upholstery has always intimidated me (comes from the nightmare of installing seat covers on dirt bikes growing up) but it actually came out OK. Granted...this might have been the easiest section.

I had hoped to get going on the stereo as well but unfortunately when I went to paint the side section of my front bumper, the paint had a bad reaction to the primer I had applied yesterday...Nothing like having to go back and sand off 5 coats of paint you've applied in the last two days....ugh.

I am pretty happy with the quality of the vinyl from Sewfine. Easy to work with and seems super durable. The color was as shown on their site as well (plus I got samples sent to me)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The floor has settled nicely. I was worried about expansion but I think I gave it enough space for the most part. And the aluminum angle stock ALMOST looks like it's supposed to be there.

I was worried about having 3 different woods in the bus, but while some may disagree, I think it actually looks alright. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the vinyl color also does a really good job of bridging the gap between the colors. It picks up the reddish from the Westy cabinets and thenis somewhere in the middle of the dark floor and lighter walls. And surprisingly, all the grain is similar-ish.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

With that many vans converted, one has to wonder what they did with the factory parts that they removed, like the middle side windows & even interior parts, did they sell them back to VW?[/quote]

If my memory serves me right from a documentary that I watched a few years ago: VW contracted with Westfalia to convert the busses to campers. VW would determine the number of campers they wanted and pre-determine batches for conversion. The M-Plate would show as Campmobile. They would then build the bus , but leave the back area completely empty. VW would ship the empty bus to Westfalia who would then install all of the camping gear, wood headliner & panels, seats, and pop-top, etc. I am not sure about the Jalousie windows, but I suspect that VW would leave the area empty and Westfalia would install the Jalousie windows.
Therefore, there was no removal of original equipment to sell back to VW.
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

I got the stereo done and used the opportunity to clean up a bit of wiring behind the dash as well. Got the instrument lights and flashers working despite some horrid attempts at fixes from previous owners. Amazing what some people do with wiring (okay, I do weird sh•t as well).

I installed 2 4x10s, one replaced an old horrible speaker someone had put in in the closet (behind the grille in the photo) and the other replaced an old little round speaker in the rear-facing seat. (no, not the best cut I've ever made)

I also have a 4" mounted in the stock location under the dash facing up. It's not a perfect audio experience, but it works. It's better than sticking the portable bluetooth speaker on the dash and making my fianc้ catch it every-time we turned a corner. Smile

Does anyone have suggestions on where to find a grill for the second 4x10?

And any other good places to mount my second 4"?

Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

I spent last night moving my horses and then suit shopping for the wedding, so unfortunately not much work got done. I did, however, receive 5 boxes of stuff from SewFine. YAY!

I didn't have time to do any of the upholstery other than the two pieces that shipped already done, but they look (and feel) awesome:

I am rushing to get the bus finished in the next week for our first small roadtrip. Fingers crossed.

Anyone camping at Camp Carneros for BottleRock in Napa in their Bus? If so, let's try to meet up! I am aiming to get there a bit after they open on Thursday at noon.

Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Well, despite food poisoning or an oncoming flu, I spent a few cold, sweaty, shaky hours working on the bus last night...I gotta get it done! I don't remember most of it, but I was able to get all of the "easy" upholstery done. The stool, bench, and jump seat are all done.

That leaves the front buckets, front doors, kick panels, and carpet. All things said, I think I will be able to finish for our trip next Thursday-Sunday.

Just want to make another quick plug for SewFine, I guess time will be the final test, but so far the quality of the work they've done is impeccable. If only my installation technique was up to snuff.

I also finally got the emblem back on. While I've never been a big "Patina" guy, I wanted to keep some of the stuff "original" to keep the "soul" of Davy the same. Yeah...overly sentimental. But I actually think it looks good.

Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Well, yesterday I got the rest of the interior done. Rebuilding the front seats was definitely an experience. It was both not as bad as I expected and not something I would choose to do again. Haha.

The door cards were easier, but also annoyingly difficult to install.

There's a bit more clean up to do but I think we're good to go on our trip on Thursday-Sunday. The brakes are my biggest concern (I had to grab a new upper reservoir from CIP and the build quality is absolute sh*t) but they seem to be holding for now...I think an upgrade is in the cards.

We did a little dinner trip to see if anything caused issues. But the Bus, including the new headlights, all worked wonderfully.

NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Your interior came out beautiful! Great Job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Those Sewfine seats are absolutely gorgeous, I'm jealous. If I ever totally restore a bay, I know who I'll buy seats from.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Agreed, good job on the seats. They look great. The bus is coming along nicely.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Now I have new seat cover envy.

Was that the vinyl group A in beige?

'Cause I want whatever it was that you got.

And what all did you buy from them?
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

static wrote:

Was that the vinyl group A in beige?

And what all did you buy from them?

Close, Vinyl Group A in Tan #005.

I ordered a lot...
• Front Bucket Cushion Foam and covers
• Front Bucket Back Rest Foam and covers
• Stool Foam and cover
• Jump seat cushion foam and cover
• Jump seat back rest foam and cover
• Westy bench cushion foam and cover
• Westy bench back rest foam and cover
• Westy bench arm rest cover
• Rear cargo bed foam and cover
• Rear spare tire delete foam and cover (to allow you to fill the whole area with cushion)
• Kick panels

The door cards I SHOULD have ordered from them but I totally spaced. I ended up going through Wolfsburg West as they could get them to me more quickly and I wanted black anyway.

Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Well, before heading off for Germany for the week (work) I got to spend some amazing quality time with the fianc้ and the bus. (And did a bit of work as well). This was our little trial trip before the big one in August: 250 miles round trip and 4 days in the bus. We were at BottleRock in Napa and it was amazing!

The bus was fully loaded down with as much as we would bring on the long trip, just to make sure it would all work. The Yeti cooler takes up more floor space than I would like, but all things being said it was pretty durn comfy.

We couldn't decide on a place to park the bus until we came across Sweet Pickle (Pickle Sweets?) and decided to make a bit of a VW area. A few others decided to join throughout the weekend, including fellow Santa Cruzian, Clatter!

After we got home we gave Davy Bum Bum a bath and gave him a once over. I even finally got the bumper finished! Unfortunately, I think the brackets are bent so I had a bit of a fitment issue, It works, for now, but it's not perfect. Does anyone have any photos of the front bumper brackets for comparison?

All things being said, the bus worked as well as I could have asked. It rode well, cruised at 55 easily, and seemed much quieter. (all the insulation, sound deadening and new seals must have done something.)

After a trip like this it really helps to legitimize all the work you put in. It was a crazy (and expensive) 3 months, but I am SO happy I did it!

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Looks like it could uses a rear torson bar adjustment.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

I was noticing it was sitting a bit low, but couldn't imagine it was from the bikes and rack. Thanks for the call out!

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

We call that look the Cali Lift, works great when you have a truck so you can get your dirt bike in.

Are your bumper blades able to bolt up under the doors? Not really seeing where the issue is.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! The Bus turned out to be Cool! It is fun seeing couples enjoying their Bus like you guys! Cool one! Very Happy
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Are your bumper blades able to bolt up under the doors? Not really seeing where the issue is.

It looks like the steps on his bumper are actually hitting the doors, I assume that's what he's talking about.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Brian wrote:

It looks like the steps on his bumper are actually hitting the doors, I assume that's what he's talking about.

And that is why his front bumper was off? I had different issues when I finished my bus. I had to shim my front bumpers because the holes didn't line up once I had my car straight and my bumper... well not so much. I took some C bar and made a template with 4 holes and bolted my bumper to the c bar and the c bar to the dogleg. I would assume with your issue you could just shim it with some aluminum block and a drill. You may need some longer bolts. (it may not be the "Correct" way to fix it, but after your bus is painted you aren't about to do what is needed to correct that issue. lol)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

Thanks all!

In regards to the bumper, its an issue with the center brackets. I can get the side wings to mount under the door, but when those are mounted (and lined up) the brackets are at an awkward angle that only allows me to attach to the rear holes. The front holes are "gapped" about 1 inch away from the frame rail.

I am still in Germany so I can't take a photo, but here is a really crude drawing.

On the left is how it should be (I think). The bracket (red) mounts to the frame rail (blue) more or less flush from the bumper. Mine is on the right, it seems like the bracket is bent so it only contacts at the rear hole, thus allowing me to only mount the rear bolt.

epayne611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Westy TinTop build thread Reply with quote

What kind of awning have you got, and any pics of how it's mounted?
Bus looks good!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: