Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Beetle (Lil Blue)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Thanks to my brother and Dad, Ive been around VWs all my life. This is the first of mine. Its still not entirely mine, as it was bought by Brad Smith of Smitty's Smoothies to be a company car for the West Coast, but it's in my possession and mine to work on and drive!

If any of you have had the opportunity to work with (or order from) Brad, he will take very good care of you as a customer, mentor, and friend!

Before looking through the pics, know that new suspension, wheels, and tires are on the way from Smitty's Smoothies.

These pictures are of the day it was purchased.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only bit of noteworthy rust...

Took it to work...CHP!!

My wife couldn't wait to tear apart the rear seat and see if anything was salvageable. Turns out the seatback frame was bent in a few places and will get replaced. She was bummed to not get to recover it yet.

Ive had this tin for roughly 18 years.....how fortunate id end up with a bug almost identical to it.....

If anyone sees anything especially neat, or could tell me whats not stock on the engine based on what you see, Id appreciate it. Im learning as much as I can, the previous owner had no idea about anything on the car.

Last edited by Jay-Rod on Thu May 04, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Welcome to the Dub club! I'm sure you know the motor is a later dual port with an alternator. Also has a 2 bbl progressive carb. Gas cap is from a Thing. You should be able to resell those wheels. All looks good to me. Looks like your daughter is now a dub lover too!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

i hate you west coasters Evil or Very Mad
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Welcome to the Dub club! I'm sure you know the motor is a later dual port with an alternator. Also has a 2 bbl progressive carb. Gas cap is from a Thing. You should be able to resell those wheels. All looks good to me. Looks like your daughter is now a dub lover too!

Shes the middle kid, and loves riding in Lil Blue. My 7 year old does too! However, my 15 year old doughter wonders why anyone would love to ride in that "Beat up, ugly, old thing..." Hey whatever, cant win em all....

I looked up the engine code and the case appears to indeed be from a 70-71. Im happy about that, its got plenty of power with the stock transmission and gearing. However, longer gearing is DEFINITELY happening in the future. My little tiny town is 30 minutes drive at 70mph+ from anywhere. anything near 65 and this thing sounds like it's screaming pretty good. My work is 38 miles away, and Id love to daily drive this little guy.

calvinater wrote:
i hate you west coasters Evil or Very Mad

You aren't the first person to tell me that. All the good cars, no rust. We are a blessed bunch.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Great start for restoration! So little rust... looks like the kinds of cars I found 25 years ago here in Cali... rust was almost never an issue except maybe the battery tray or the front quarter panel (Bermuda Triangles) if the drains were closed off.

Looks like a power pulley on that engine. That means your fan turns more slowly. Better to put a stock pulley (or stock sized degree pulley) on it, especially if you change the gearing to slow down the engine revs on the highway.

That isn't the original fuel tank cap, but it's proper. VW retrofitted these stronger caps whenever the car came in. They stopped selling the cork gaskets for the original types and instead sold you this cap. Prevents it from popping off in a collision and burning you. Keep it!

Does your header system not have a pre-heat flange to connect to the heat riser on the intake manifold? It's a good idea to prevent carb icing.

I bet the thermostat is removed, too... a good thing to put back right but with an obviously non-stock shroud this may not be possible. Is the shroud a doghouse with the offset, larger oil cooler?
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Great start for restoration! So little rust... looks like the kinds of cars I found 25 years ago here in Cali... rust was almost never an issue except maybe the battery tray or the front quarter panel (Bermuda Triangles) if the drains were closed off.

Looks like a power pulley on that engine. That means your fan turns more slowly. Better to put a stock pulley (or stock sized degree pulley) on it, especially if you change the gearing to slow down the engine revs on the highway.

That isn't the original fuel tank cap, but it's proper. VW retrofitted these stronger caps whenever the car came in. They stopped selling the cork gaskets for the original types and instead sold you this cap. Prevents it from popping off in a collision and burning you. Keep it!

Does your header system not have a pre-heat flange to connect to the heat riser on the intake manifold? It's a good idea to prevent carb icing.

I bet the thermostat is removed, too... a good thing to put back right but with an obviously non-stock shroud this may not be possible. Is the shroud a doghouse with the offset, larger oil cooler?

No preheat flange on the exhaust, and no heat....

Im not sure about the shroud or the oil cooler yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the pulley, as it is beginning to heat right up here! We will regularly see triple digits starting in a few weeks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Jay-Rod, Are you CHP?
Not that I care but you might be able to answer more than a few questions from those that live in California.

ACVW's are either cool or meant to hide from in today's youth.
I have a daughter in the Air force that want's to drive my 67 while she's on leave. I'm good with that as she is protecting our country everyday Very Happy

Your older daughter might get over the stigma of the "Uncool" car someday. Just don't force it on her. peer pressure can be horrible on kids today.

Have a great weekend and be safe.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Jay-Rod, Are you CHP?
Not that I care but you might be able to answer more than a few questions from those that live in California.

ACVW's are either cool or meant to hide from in today's youth.
I have a daughter in the Air force that want's to drive my 67 while she's on leave. I'm good with that as she is protecting our country everyday Very Happy

Your older daughter might get over the stigma of the "Uncool" car someday. Just don't force it on her. peer pressure can be horrible on kids today.

Have a great weekend and be safe.

I am indeed CHP, but not a uniformed officer. I am a non-uniformed employee (civilian) and work in Headquarters in in Sacramento along side many officers. Fire away with any questions you have, Ill get you an answer and I don't mind a bit.

Congrats on the Air Force daughter, Im a 13 year Marine Corps Veteran myself.

I make a point not to force any of my kids to ride in the bug. She did ride in it one time this past week....and admitted its not a awfully terrible as she was expecting, but she still prefers to ride in my wife's Fusion Hybrid...Baby steps!

Is anyone else from here going to Bug-O-Rama in Sacramento at the end of the month? Ill have Lil Blue there.
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

My nephew took a few pictures this past weekend.

Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Found this under the car the other day. Left/Driver side, just inside the rear wheel. "Rockerarm" suggested it was part of an old A/C system. The piping is hooked up to the driver side heater pipe that runs under the seat to the heater channel.

vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Hello , I think that blower is part of a heater booster & that is a one barrel carb . That car has a lot of potential.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Yea your car looks cool, I want to paint mine the same Gulf blue
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

I think you and your girls face says it all man.
Very Happy Very Happy
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I smile like a goober every time I drive it. I love this car!

Thanks all.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Jay-Rod wrote:
Found this under the car the other day. Left/Driver side, just inside the rear wheel. "Rockerarm" suggested it was part of an old A/C system. The piping is hooked up to the driver side heater pipe that runs under the seat to the heater channel.

Hi. Thought it could be remnants of an old A/C system as it was common to have the condenser under the car. That blower motor is someone's idea that isn't well thought out. Is there a similar one on the other (right) side?
I can barely see in the pic that you might have J-tubes for the cylinder's 1 and 3. That's fine if you don't desire heaters but many people will suggest the use of the industrial shields to protect the cylinder head from the pipes heat. Also, more importantly is your earlier photo shows a fan shroud with fresh air hoses going downward thru the rear tin. Where are these hoses going to if no heater boxes exist? Are these hoses plugged underneath?
And finally, in the photo it appears you are lacking an emergency brake cable.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:

Hi. Thought it could be remnants of an old A/C system as it was common to have the condenser under the car. That blower motor is someone's idea that isn't well thought out. Is there a similar one on the other (right) side?
I can barely see in the pic that you might have J-tubes for the cylinder's 1 and 3. That's fine if you don't desire heaters but many people will suggest the use of the industrial shields to protect the cylinder head from the pipes heat. Also, more importantly is your earlier photo shows a fan shroud with fresh air hoses going downward thru the rear tin. Where are these hoses going to if no heater boxes exist? Are these hoses plugged underneath?
And finally, in the photo it appears you are lacking an emergency brake cable.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Thank you for even more info! I do love learning from you more experienced people that have been doing this far long than myself.

-There is not another one on the passenger side.

-I have an "Al's Headers" header installed. There are no heaters or flanges for the carb pre heater. I was definitely wishing I had heat this past winter, and Im planning on changing the header to one that will accommodate it.

-Good idea about the shields. Ill see if I can find some unless they are usually a custom made deal. I can whip something up if so.

-The fresh air hoses go under the engine tin and are open. They just blow straight down. I thought that if there are fittings on the shroud, as long as they aren't open to the engine compartment (either capped, or hoses running down under the engine tins) then I would be ok. If im completely wrong please let me know, this little car gets me 76 miles round trip to and from work every day for now and I need it to last!

-I do have a functioning emergency brake, but I have to hold it. It doesn't ratchet anymore. I am going to adjust the cable tension to see if I can get that working again.

** Everything mentioned was like this when I bought the car. I've only driven it since I got it and haven't done any major work to it, aside from an oil change. Its only been a few months since I got it and it wasn't a daily driver until about 2 weeks ago when my Tundra broke its rear end.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

Hi.
If your Al's system is in good shape you may wish to retain it. Many of the aftermarket headers aren't as good as in the past. The CB components seem to get good reviews here. But, one thing to consider is the design of the header's flange welded onto the two pipes has an inherent flaw when compared to a stock muffler. The flaw is there is no forced flow of exhaust gas thru those welded on flanges vs a dedicated tube that will force an amount of exhaust up thru the intake manifold's pre-heat pipes. And this is dependent on your intake manifold's pre heat pipe being free of obstruction. As simple a design that it is and you might be in for some money spent and/or labor invested here.
Why not try and improve the air cleaner's pre-heat feature and see if you achieve the improvement you desire?
Those shields are available by a few vendors and I believe somebody has posted their dimensions if you wish to make them yourself.
You gotta stop that lost/valuable cooling air from escaping as this air can be used to cool the engine.
You may only have the right side brake cable as you can see in that pic, below the metal brake line, the open hole.
Bill
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

The Al's system is indeed in pretty good shape. Its not banged up, not rusted out, ect.... The quiet pack, on the other hand, that has holes all over it. I briefly considered swapping it for a stinger, but Ill probably just get another quiet pack.

I understand what you mean about the flanges. If they aren't designed to force air through them, and are just an opening somewhere in the stream, then they are barely useful. I will look into the air cleaner as you mentioned, since the preheat pipe that runs along the intake manifold has been cut off just to the left of the carb. Seems like a bad idea, just routing raw exhaust into the engine bay.... Ive left it alone, since that preheat pipe isn't being used anyway.

As for the e-brake...that could be the reason I don't have enough cable tension for the ratcheting mechanism to work right. Good eye!
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

you are possible missing item number 5.

if it's anything like my car, it's slowly rusting in the bottom of the tunnel, it's not actually attached to the handbrake leaver, just the clicker thing(#eight) holds it in place.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Beetle (Lil Blue) Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
you are possible missing item number 5.

if it's anything like my car, it's slowly rusting in the bottom of the tunnel, it's not actually attached to the handbrake leaver, just the clicker thing(#eight) holds it in place.

Do you know the size of the nuts on #3?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: