Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

More brake questions ...

I bought the dual master cylinder for a Rabbit from Nate to upgrade the original single MC on my '66 bus. It fit fine but my mechanic could not get the air out of the front lines. He has 40-50 years of experience and all the tools one could need, and he spent 2 hours trying pressure and vacuum and good old pumping the pedal bleeding operations. The front lines always kept some air. He put the original single MC back in and got a firm pedal in 5 minutes.

It is possible that it the dual circuit MC I received is defective and Nate will return my money or replace it with no problem. However, the one thing my mechanic did not check is changing around the brake lines to different ports on the dual MC. My question are: has anyone successfully installed this unit in their '64 to '66 bus and, if so, what brake lines did you connect to what ports?

Thanks.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

Even if you connect up the wrong brake lines to the wrong ports it will pressure bleed the system and function. You just want the front lines to be nearest the brake pedal and the rear line farthest away from the pedal end of the MC. Real easy to mix up the rear line with the LF line since they do run back several feet side by side.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

Sounds like what was happening with the brakes on my dad's 59 bug when he went to front disks. I think he ended up having to use a different master cylinder to fix it, but I don't know what one he used and if it'd be the same on a bus.

Also, if the Rabbit MC is in fact doable on a bus, would it work on my 67?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

Personally never heard of using a Rabbit MC. Maybe you mean it is a Bus MC with Rabbit reservoir?
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

It is apparently a Rabbit master cylinder. Here is the listing. It is the smaller of the two offered:
http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/1955-67-dual-circuit-bus-master-cylinder-kit.html

There are four open ports: two for the front brakes, one for the combined rear brakes, and one for the brake light switch. It may be that some combination works better than what we already tried. That is why I am interested if anyone on the TheSamba has made this work.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

Interesting! Thanks for posting that. Very Happy
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:
It fit fine but my mechanic could not get the air out of the front lines. He has 40-50 years of experience and all the tools one could need, and he spent 2 hours trying pressure and vacuum and good old pumping the pedal bleeding operations. The front lines always kept some air. He put the original single MC back in and got a firm pedal in 5 minutes.

Stupid question - did he make sure the rod had free play? if the MC can't return to neutral (the pedal rod doesn't have a gap) then it can't draw fluid in, and can't pump the air out. Alternatively the gap might be too large, so the MC can't bottom out...

it could, of course, be a bad one as well. but if he didn't adjust the rod to suite the new MC+spacer that could definitely cause what you're reporting.
...david - '66 SO-44 #231
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

Yes, the rod had the right free play.

I'm hoping that someone here has installed this unit in their bus and it works. If that is you, tell me what lines were connected to what ports.

Thanks
jehugarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

having the exact same problem with the exact same cylinder. but Ive yet to try the right amount of play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

Just call Nate, he always treats his customers right. Wouldn't that be easier than getting all kinds of different opinions here?
I'm using a Bay Master with a Rabbit reservoir, so I'm no help either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with bleeding on Wagenswest Rabbit dual master cylinder Reply with quote

Any follow up from you folks?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: