Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ruby Red 66 refresh.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

Your new muffler would be a 40hp fresh air. It's narrower due to the crankshaft having 64mm stroke; 5mm shorter stroke than your 1300's 69mm on both sides of the engine = 10mm total =~ 1/3". Though in your shot the lost space looks a bit more than 1/3".

-That's what I suspected, thanks for the confirmation!

From the body/paint Forum on theSamba, a close color match to Ruby Red is Rust-o-leum Regal Red. You could buy a spray can to mist over some of your bare areas. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424324

-I've tried it, that's actually what I used for the red on the RR fender. I need to try to find a way to "age" it so it matches better, I tried it in other areas and it looked way off.

Thinking about a quick freshening up of the rust on the bumpers using balled-up aluminum foil and Coke? 10 minutes each would make a big difference, then paint over with gloss clear for rust protection.

-de-crusting the bumpers is on the to-do list, I'm going to pull them off and repaint the brackets and clean them up soon.

Do you or your family have a tie to the city of Viersen Germany, per the VIE lic. plate on the green Beetle?

-There is some German ancestry on Mom's side of the family, but I'm not sure from where. That plate was a random one I picked up at the VW Classic swap meet back in 1997.

1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Wow nice Sachs. G3?
Is that a PK Ripper with the blue tires?

The bug looks awesome with the fender treatment.
Great work.

Thank you! Yes, it's a 1979 Sachs Prima G3. It's the same year as me so it's eventually going to get a full restoration. As it sits it's a tank clean & coat away from being a runner. Close on the SE, it's So Cal Flyer 24" cruiser.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
joey1320 wrote:
Wow nice Sachs. G3?
Is that a PK Ripper with the blue tires?

The bug looks awesome with the fender treatment.
Great work.

Thank you! Yes, it's a 1979 Sachs Prima G3. It's the same year as me so it's eventually going to get a full restoration. As it sits it's a tank clean & coat away from being a runner. Close on the SE, it's So Cal Flyer 24" cruiser.

Nice!

I have a Garelli SuperSport XL I picked up last month. Gotta get the tank cleaned along with a new clutch pack. In regards to bikes, I sold most of my collection and kept a '91 Performer and a '92 Peregrine Craig LePaige. I'm considering picking up a new cruiser, liking the retro GT Performer and Haro Master.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

Nice!

I have a Garelli SuperSport XL I picked up last month. Gotta get the tank cleaned along with a new clutch pack. In regards to bikes, I sold most of my collection and kept a '91 Performer and a '92 Peregrine Craig LePaige. I'm considering picking up a new cruiser, liking the retro GT Performer and Haro Master.

Very cool! I've got a Garelli Basic too, they're fun to play with.

I grew up as a BMX kid too, last spring rebuilt my old 89 Dyno Detour. After pedaling it around I decided to pick up the SE cruiser. I love the retro styling, and it's proportional to my grown-up size and a lot more comfortable on my old fart bones. I'd highly recommend picking up a cruiser, pedaling it around the neighborhood is like a time machine back to when I was a teenager!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Got a couple things done over the weekend! Firstly, my engine is ready to come off the stand as soon as I can bribe a friend to come help move it!

I was able to make the final connection on the header with the help of a ratchet strap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just stuck the stinger on for the hell of it, I'm not sure if I'm going to run it or the single pack I had laying around. Either way it's gonna get replaced with a stock muffler and pea shooters, this is just temporary because I already had it and there's a lot of other things I need to buy for this car before I worry about exhaust.

Got my clutch and pressure plate on too! Just need to get it off the stand and it's ready to stick in the car. I'll do that once I get my new axle boots and engine bay seal installed.

I also removed the tank to see how things looked under there. It was better than I expected!

Now, I have a question about brake part interchangeability.. My dad recently upgraded to front disks on his 59 bug, and he gave me all his old drum brake stuff. They'd been rebuilt not too long ago with fresh parts, even the drums, and were in good working order. He just wanted to go disk for whatever reason. I know that my 66 brakes are different, but would the ones from the 59 bolt up to my spindles and function? They're otherwise just being used as a doorstop, and if it could save me a few bucks at the moment that'd mean getting the car on the road sooner. I'd hang on to my 66 stuff and eventually rebuild them with fresh parts.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Had a good productive weekend with the 66! Friday evening I removed what was left of the original engine bay seal and cleaned/ straightened out the channel. I sprayed some Rust Mort on the rusty spots too.

Then Saturday I got my axle boots replaced, cleaned up the input shaft and changed the throwout bearing. I sprayed some primer on the rust treated spots too.

On Sunday I installed the engine bay seal and finally got the engine in the car!!! It's still not ready to fire up, because that'll involve spending money I don't have quite yet. Gotta buy a battery, fuel line stuff, and well, brake parts. I know I'll be way too tempted to take if for a bonzai run around the block once it's running, despite not having functional brakes so I gotta get them working first.

On to the pics!

New axle boots.

Cleaned & greased input shaft and throwout bearing.

Engine bay seal in! It went a lot smoother than expected, that was a pleasant surprise.

Engine behind the car

Engine under the car

Engine in the car!!!

Car off the jackstands

And voila! Rolled it back and forth to get the suspension to settle, it's finally starting to look like an actual car and not an empty shell! It'd been engineless since 1997.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Alright!!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

This past weekend I got started on my brake rebuild. I'm making myself get the brakes working before I even try to fire up the engine, because I know I'm gonna be tempted to rip it around the block a couple times as soon as it's running. I got the front drums off, cleaned up and painted. The passenger's side was pretty stubborn to get off but otherwise it went smoothly. The adjusters are all rusted up, so i'm soaking them in PB blaster throughout the week so it'll be easier to deal with later. My parents are coming to visit this weekend, and Dad's letting me borrow his Torque Meister tool, so that'll make doing the back much easier.

Here's some pics!

My hover conversion is well underway...

Using the drum to hold the lugbolts as I clean them up before I cleaned the drum itself:

Fresh painted lugbolts!

Fresh painted drums!

DJG66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Spent some time with the 66 this weekend. First of all I pushed it out into the yard for the obligatory Christmas photoshoot that comes with owning a red and green bug:

Love the German and Japanese plates! Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

I think you stole my car! Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

What a great save on awesome car! You're doing a great job there. As far as paint goes some body shop suppliers can mix you up a rattle can of your car's paint. You just give them your paint code, in your case it would be L456. So this way you can blend in some areas. If they can't go by the code for some reason they can usually mix it from a sample. The inside of the glove box door usually is a good area for this. Great to see this cool little car saved!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Got some work done on my front brakes this weekend!

The driver's side came apart and went back together without any issues:

The passenger side had one stuck star adjuster, but I was able to get the screw part out and soak it with PB Blaster:

Got it!

Then it was time to put the drums back on, when I made an odd discovery. Turns out the inner bearing on the drivers side was wrong, and too big to seat on the spindle! I'd noticed the wheel was wobbly but figured it was just loose. Hope the PO didn't drive it much like that! Comparison photo, the wrong one is at the bottom of the pic:

I went ahead and reassembled the drivers side, using the correct bearing from the other side so I could see if my spindle was damaged. Fortunately it went together just fine! Now I just need to get another bearing for the passenger side.

Then I got the shoes adjusted and threw a wheel back on for the first time in quite awhile!

Once I get that bearing in and throw the other side together it'll be time to move on to the rear brakes. It'll be nice to have the car mobile and to free up my jackstands again. Then I'll attack the lines, and finally try to start the engine!
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Wow, just read thru this- great save!! You’ve really made a ton of progress, keep it up! You’re getting close
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:
Wow, just read thru this- great save!! You’ve really made a ton of progress, keep it up! You’re getting close

Thank you! I haven't done much lately, I need to get off my ass and get the rear brakes done already.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
dodgerodder wrote:

Thank you! I haven't done much lately, I need to get off my ass and get the rear brakes done already.

We are all guilty of that!

Sometimes life gets in the way of projects. Sometimes we just need a little break from it.

I’ve left the shop super frustrated because some part of the project just isn’t going right. Seems it will never happen....

Go back the next time, and everything goes smooth as butter, as if by magic haha
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

I finally got my back brakes done! The car has only been on jackstands since February Rolling Eyes What's funny is now that it's back on it's wheels on the ground it looks like it's slammed even though it's stock height! The axle nut on the passenger's side was hand tight, I'm hoping the PO didn't drive it much like that. The wheel cylinder that I thought was bad actually looked ok. I saw a lot of wetness around that wheel, but now I'm wondering if it was actually gearbox oil that leaked due to the loose axle nut? Whatever the case it was a pain in the ass to get the inside of the drum clean! I borrowed Dad's Torque Meister tool so I was able to get them nice and tight with fresh cotter pins now, so hopefully that issue is solved. I have one soft line up front left to replace, one of the fittings is really stubborn so I've been soaking it with PB Blaster. Once that's replaced it'll be time for fluid and bleeding, and finally I'll get to try firing up the engine for the first time!! On to the pics...

Drivers side ugliness

Drivers side newness

Cleaned and painted drum

Drivers side torqued and back together, Labradork approved.

First time it's had tires on the ground since February! I ended up rolling it out to do the passenger's side so I could have easy access.

Passengers side done!

Put the decklid back on too, so I could roll it outside and hose the months of dust and pollen off.

New brakes all around!

It almost looks roadworthy

dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

That’s awesome, brakes look great! Always good to get the car off jack stands

Lab is freaking adorable
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Your car looks a lot like my soon to be new 66 project. I should be getting it in about 3 weeks and will take and post photos once I get it.

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Murdlem wrote:
Your car looks a lot like my soon to be new 66 project. I should be getting it in about 3 weeks and will take and post photos once I get it.

looks like a nice original example, good luck with it!
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red 66 refresh. Reply with quote

Any updates? I dig the sachs g3! As antother member shared, I too have a Garelli Super Sport that’s built. I ride it nearly everyday. I too also have a Ruby Red bug 😎
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: