Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

Just picked up this single cab in Illinois over the weekend! Meet Woodstock! What an amazing journey it has been so far! Just got him home and parked into the garage where I can assume he will sit for quite a while!
As we sit and look it over, the questions start to flood in! Where in the world do you even begin?
Looks as though this guy used to be a Porsche Audi VW dealer truck out of Beckers VW in Champagne Illinois. Even though it has been painted over, the PO had noticed the possibility of letter, and wet sanded it some to see what it was. Pretty neat it turned out to be a dealer truck. Its original color is Lotus White. As you can tell, it has since been painted. We were on a hunt trying to find an old picture of the truck, but haven't been able to come up with anything.
Engine is also only marked with a b? There is no other markings for a serial besides just a b.... And you can tell that casing has not been messed with, so no serial was shaved off... Simple is just a b? Any thoughts? How can we do some decent fixes without loosing the cool look?

We would love to attempt to keep the patina while trying to get more of the logos to show. Shocked I mean is that even possible when you have such a swiss chesse log?? We are in for a huge project! Razz And simply we could not be more excited to have grabbed this guy! Seems as though he has spent all his time in Illinois! Glad to have brought him over to the east coast!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dynamic Duo - William & Jenn =)

1975 VW Westfalia "Willow"
1970 VW Single Cab Truck "Woodstock"

[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

WOW. Looks like fun/work.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of possibilities there! KlassicFab has the right metal. I never seen a truck with dual overriders. Very cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

Yikes the rust is going to be a bit much on the project depending on how deep you want to go. Babysnakes' single cab is the ideal setup of re-working a truck.

This is the section of klassic fab you'll be looking at: https://klassicfab.com/klassicfab1/en/10-bay-window-single-cab

Trucks are a lot of fun, I had got a lot of use out of mine even though she was not easy on the eyes. Just a few words from me:

Yes the treasure chest locks are expensive
Yes the gates are even more expensive
The holes in the back are for the brake lights
The weird thing on the back gate is a step
The gas tank is a bitch to get out
Stock engine code would be B5, but who knows what you have by now
The 2/3 seat has to be squeezed then taken straight out
Truck only parts start with 261
No such thing as a truck only bumper

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

I like the idea of making it safe. Brace up or replace the rear section of the frame. Weld in some pieces and tack weld some rust back together and drive it like it is. But if everyone thinks it is a little too rusty for that. I guess I can try a more in depth rebuild. It would be a shame to sand and paint those logos.

[email protected]
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

[email protected]
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

Looks like it's going to be a fun project, those logos look great!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

Crusher bait/yard art right there. I walked away from a s/c that was a bit better (not much) than that one.

If you do save it, have fun. I would pay 10/15k for a clean one before I spent a dime on that one. Its pretty rough....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

That single cab is past the point of economical repair. As it sits, it's structurally unsafe, obviously.

I'm all about saving every VW bus we can but that bus is simply rotted inside and out from all the years of being on salted roads. At a minimum, that single cab needs a new frame under it. All the welded seams have been saturated with water/salt and are corroded.

I restored a rusty 69 convertible that I probably shouldn't of. It required years of metal replacement on the pan and bottom 12" of the body. It was in 90% better shape than that single cab when I started it.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer but rather, trying to give you an honest opinion.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

My wallet hurts just looking at the pictures.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Crusher bait/yard art right there...

...I would pay 10/15k for a clean one before I spent a dime on that one. Its pretty rough....

X2
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

I loves me da trucks, but this one is too far gone. At first, seeing the initial photos, I was going to say -- step 1: stop the rust. But now, after seeing the extent of rot in the main members underneath -- I have to say that there is no saving this one. Replacing the metal that needs to be replaced (and most of it would have to be custom fabricated, as this is deeper than just "panels") will run you well over $20,000.

Like others have said, I hate to throw cold water on your project, but this one cannot economically be made roadworthy.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

Glad to see someone grabbed that. I saw it advertised on Craigslist for $5500 which to me was wayyyyyy to high given the rust even on the few pics the seller had placed online. I did ask to come look at it, but was told to bring cash and trailer and I could come see it. That is very much past the point of "patina"-nothing wrong with duplicating the dealer signs-but that would be after a very complete and expensive restoration. Still, if you do follow through with a full restoration, good on you for saving one that was very far gone.
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
Glad to see someone grabbed that. I saw it advertised on Craigslist for $5500 which to me was wayyyyyy to high given the rust even on the few pics the seller had placed online. I did ask to come look at it, but was told to bring cash and trailer and I could come see it. That is very much past the point of "patina"-nothing wrong with duplicating the dealer signs-but that would be after a very complete and expensive restoration. Still, if you do follow through with a full restoration, good on you for saving one that was very far gone.

I surely wouldn't and didn't pay 5500 for it either!
I have come to the conclusion it will be best for a FULL restore on this. It's sad because there are so many things to love on this truck as it is now, however, rust won this battle. It has been parked under a tree in a field in Illinois since at least 1984.

It's a good thing this was a long term plan project. Obviously i would never take the truck out before knowing that it was safe and sound.

Everyones opinions are great. I understand she is rough. And maybe I needed some help realizing it as well. Got a long road ahead Smile

Honestly though, the torsion tube section of the frame is the worst part. Im pretty confident I can make that strong enough to be road worthy again with a donor. (it wont be pretty but it will be strong) Other than the frame, and obvious rust in the outriggers which are easy to replace, none of the other body rust/rot poses a "roadworthy" issue or problem. The actual bed of the truck is very strong and I can jump and walk all over it without it bending or being soft. Front beam looks very solid. wheel wells are still painted white and have almost no rust. Front floor has a few holes but those panels are cheap as well. The gates can all be sured up some. I dont think this guy is ready for the crusher yet. This isnt my first restore and having a little parts business sure helps me collect everything I need.

[email protected]
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

I like your positive outlook on this. When you finish it, are you gonna duplicate the dealer emblems on it?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

I would love to do that! I have been trying to find some original photos of the truck but with no luck. I plan to call the dealership eventually and maybe someone that works there still has some photos.

[email protected]
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

BusLust wrote:
I would love to do that! I have been trying to find some original photos of the truck but with no luck. I plan to call the dealership eventually and maybe someone that works there still has some photos.

Good thinking.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
BusLust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

Found this about Becker VW
Laurie Becker, 67, died September 5th, at his home in Bradenton, Florida. He was raised in Winnetka and graduated from New Trier High School in 1951. At New Trier he was active in athletics and was the schools handball champion his senior year. Throughout his college years at Wabash College at Wabash, IN, he was active in coaching Little League Baseball teams. After graduation, he entered the automobile dealership business serving as sales manager for the one of the first Volkswagen dealerships in America, and ultimately owning Becker Volkswagen, PorscheAudi in Champaign, Illinois from 1969 through 1982. In 1970 he sustained an injury which confined him to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, but he successfully operated his dearlership for 12 years after his accident. He is survived by three daughters, Pamela Craig, of Bradenton, Jackie Taylor of Texas, and Vicky Eddings of Mahomet, Illinois, one son Glenn of California; and a sister Barbara Biehl of Arizona. Funeral services were held in Florida. His family and friends ask that memorial contributions be made in Laurie's name to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, 500 Morris Ave., Springfield, N.J. 07081.

[email protected]
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

So it would appear they've been closed for a while...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet our 1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Truck! Reply with quote

I think it is good that you plan to save it. Remember there was a time that most of the split window Buses being saved these days would have been left for scrap fifteen years ago. In fact, not long before that, a guy abandoned a very rough 23 window very close to my house-and I walked away from it. I sure wouldn't walk away now! One of the VWs I have is a 73 Super Beetle, which I purchased from my brother for $1.00, and it was arguable as to who came out better. That car was so rusted it wasn't even funny. But I bit the bullet, and yeah, it was surely not worth it financially, but I glad I did. The body is now nearly perfect and in paint, the pan is going together, and I am happy that I saved a VW that most (sane) people would have sent to the scrap yard. Wishing you all success with the project. I live in Chicago, and my dad is in Kenilworth-one town away from Winnetka. My sister is a freshman at New Trier. If I can be of any help with pics, of anything in the area,let me know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: