Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Great thread Mr. Lang! I love all the anal attention to detail here! That bug engine is so original!

Questions-

That double white clip that holds the bowden cable and other Harness? What is the second tube it's connected to? Is it an electrical harness? If so, which one?
I've never seen that clip before so it was great to see it.

Keep up the great work here. Love the attention to detail. Very Happy

I was wondering about the white clip too. It's seems more logical that it would keep the two high tension leads together (and seperate!). The cable is better not to flex too much, but unless the clip was attached to the shroud it wouldn't help.

Mr lang, I love this thread too! You are very meticulous and the photos are part of a wonderful documentation. I hope you don't mind, I have quoted your post in a thread documenting original 1970 engine bay features in the Ghia forum?

1970 engine bay, restoring to original

Thanks!

Hey Phil,

I spoke to a guy that was a VW parts manager back in the late 60's and 70's. He had one of those white clips and remembered them as well. He said most were lost in the first couple of years as mechanics removed the oil baths. The clip would fly off, never to be reinstalled.

I agree with you as well. The bowden cable is pretty fixed w/out any clips holding it in place. I'm not sure why it was deemed necessary by VW.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Very nice to look at an original engine and note the location and correct orientation of hardware and parts. Not everyone can appreciate that but I do thank you for sharing this😀
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

I don't want to veer too far off topic but, the White clip is shown (57) in this diagram from Glutamodo. I'm not sure which year the diagram refers to though Confused !
The part number mr lang gave for it doesn't throw up any search results.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
I don't want to veer too far off topic but, the White clip is shown (57) in this diagram from Glutamodo. I'm not sure which year the diagram refers to though Confused !

That bowden cable assembly was only used from 1968 to 1970 on bugs, buses and Ghias. In 1971, they went to the brass thermostat in the oil bath.

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:

I have to remove the top fins from the cover anyway, so why not mill a 10mm diameter pocket, where the 6mm stud will be (moved in 1mm from the 8mm stud position). Just deep enough to thread a special nut to the 6mm stud and to keep the sealing surface. The special nut will then rest on top of the oil pump cover instead of in the pocket.
I have access to a small mill and lathe where something like this could be done.
Or does any of you have concerns?
Does the oil pump without the cover stick out further then the 6mm stock pump? From the pictures on the cb side it does not look so.
If this will not work, I will replace the studs.

If you are just modifying the cover, then that should work just fine if you do not bore all the way thru the cover. Personally have found it very easy to just pull out the stock studs and insert longer ones.

Just pulled out two pumps:

1. Made In Germany PM (Peter Maassen) 6mm stud hole oil pump. Measures .320" (8mm) at the pump body flange.

2. Claude's Buggies Maxi 2 oil filter pump. Measures .225" (5.5mm) at same flange.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Shocked

Thank you guys for your comments and compliments!

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Mr lang, I love this thread too! You are very meticulous and the photos are part of a wonderful documentation. I hope you don't mind, I have quoted your post in a thread documenting original 1970 engine bay features in the Ghia forum?
Thanks a lot !! I don't mind, just keep on posting them. I've just never expected that my engine would be used as reference.
Very very good eye on the distributor cap. Both cap and finger are Beru parts. Points are Bosch. I did replace them when this engine was used during my daily driver beetle time. I will see, if I can find the used previous parts in my small parts stash. I keep such parts always as reference, not sure if I did this also 15 years ago.
I will go more into detail about them, when I refurbish the distributor.
I wonder if this cap had a dark brown color instead of the light brown?

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'm not sure why it was deemed necessary by VW.

I first saw that clip, when I tried to pull out the bowden cable. I don't know the exact position of it, where it did rest before I did pull on the cable.
My only guess is to keep the bowden cable away from the hot intake manifold.
It was located between the two ignition cable clamps. I've had this engine once apart 15 years ago and it could be possible, that this clip could have been located to the left side of these two ignition cable clamps closer to the distributor.

mcdonaldneal wrote:

This picture does look almost like the one in my 1971 parts book. It seems to be focused on the bowden cable with the rest of the image removed.
It's illustration A8 (German only) https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/html5.html#/186

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Very nice to look at an original engine and note the location and correct orientation of hardware and parts. Not everyone can appreciate that but I do thank you for sharing this😀

Zundfolge1432 you probably don't know how much it means to me seeing you commenting in my thread. Thank you so much.

Eric&Barb wrote:
If you are just modifying the cover, then that should work just fine if you do not bore all the way thru the cover. Personally have found it very easy to just pull out the stock studs and insert longer ones.

2. Claude's Buggies Maxi 2 oil filter pump. Measures .225" (5.5mm) at same flange.

Yes, only the cover. My exchange H 1500 engine was almost as original as my F 1300 engine (as far as you can say that for a VW exchange program engine) and I will try to keep as much as stock and unmodified. Some may laugh at me, but I can live with that.

Thanks for taking the measurements !

CB Maxi 2 already ordered at CSP-shop and on the way to me.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

In this picture you can see the white clip where it did rest before I did pull on the cables.
The bowden cable has some dust on top collected, that's why it is not as dark as the vertical part you can see in front of the carb.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Ok. I think I've solved the mystery of the white clip. Someone on another thread linked to JerseyLookers archive of early bay parts lists.
The clip is part 28 in this from the '68 bus.
The description suggests it clips the air cleaner cable to the accelerator cable.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Ok. I think I've solved the mystery of the white clip. Someone on another thread linked to JerseyLookers archive of early bay parts lists.
The clip is part 28 in this from the '68 bus.
The description suggests it clips the air cleaner cable to the accelerator cable.

Think

Interesting! I have an original clip that should be here by tomorrow. When I get it I'll see if it hooks up there or not.

Good sleuth work there Phil!

mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Ok. I think I've solved the mystery of the white clip. The clip is part 28 in this from the '68 bus.

I checked out the German versions of the '67 bus and the '71 beetle parts book and there seems to be a difference between bug and bus:

It translates to:
Bus '67: Clamp for accelerator cable and air cleaner cable sleeve
Bug '71: Clamp for accelerator cable and cable sleeve at the carburetor

I wonder, where that E-clip could be hooked to at the accelerator cable Question
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Since the Beetle part number appears in a bay bus parts list... it seems the clip is applicable to both models.

From what I've seen from poking around... 113-129-919 is valid for Beetle, Ghia & Bay Bus (+Caddy & some other more modern VW).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Herr Lang

Ich denke, dass zwei verschiedene Autoren das Gleiche beschrieben haben

Tschuss!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
Ok. I think I've solved the mystery of the white clip. The clip is part 28 in this from the '68 bus.

I checked out the German versions of the '67 bus and the '71 beetle parts book and there seems to be a difference between bug and bus:

It translates to:
Bus '67: Clamp for accelerator cable and air cleaner cable sleeve
Bug '71: Clamp for accelerator cable and cable sleeve at the carburetor

I wonder, where that E-clip could be hooked to at the accelerator cable Question

My guess is that those descriptions functionally mean the same thing.
I still don't know where it clips to the accelerator cable!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

I emailed a VW parts manager from the early 70's who I bought the clip from to see if he recalls where it's placed..

mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

time for the latest update

VW exchange beetle H engine from 1967

the last few days I fiddled with the cb maxi pump 2 I recently ordered.

Removal of the engine tin went straight forward.
Just want to show the correct clamp for the 25mm hose and the hazet 798 tool for such clamps

pulled old pump

installed new pump housing after a lot of measurements were taken
The pump hole in the crank case did have 70.00mm, but after I did unscrew the 2 nuts next to the pump, the case opened up to 70.03mm where the pump with its 70.005mm did slide right in. (well i did unscrew 3 nuts, but the one for bearing #4 would not have been necessary)
I placed the gear into the pump and rotated the crank 2 times in 90° steps and did wiggle on the pump gear. No binding, rides right in the middle of the cam slot.
Tightened the nuts to 20Nm after pump did seat flush in the case.

test fitted pulley tin and removed material where it was necessary

I did a lot of measurements during the process and at the end I had to shorten the gear shaft at the drive dog by 0.9mm to give enough clearance for the shaft into the cam groove. Rolling Eyes Added a nice chamfer again after that.
The drive dog does now sit 6.9mm deep into the 7.7mm groove. With cam endplay (0.08mm) and pump endplay (0.05mm) I do not expect any problems now. Without the modifications the pump gear would stick 0.61mm out of the pump.
My guess is, that this has something to do with this engine being refurbished by VW and maybe they did mill the pump surface on the crank case during that process.

couldn't finish everything last night, so these are the parts I gonna finally install tonight

The "production" of the nuts and the milling of the filter mount was very stressful. I did use my brothers mill and lathe, getting instructions from him over the phone. I never used his tools before without his helping hand (me -> no mechanic). I actually made a few mistakes anyway.

I've also drained the oil. The last time I did change the oil was ~3600km ago.

The only other optional aftermarket part this engine does have (except the filter pump now) is this bugpack magnetic oil drain plug. I would call this normal wear of the parts.

Filter screen had no sludge this time, but did not look that clean anyway

Something is seriously disintegrating.

Any indication, what this could be?
It's not magnetic and has a silver color -> probably aluminum.
My guess it is the cam gear. I did the lift off test while putting this engine together with the cam staying in place (did not lift) and I was able to feel the backlash.

Interesting that there is absolutely no sludge this time.

Last edited by mr. lang on Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

My pump measured 6.0mm. Could it be, that I have the wrong one?

Abscate wrote:
Herr Lang

Ich denke, dass zwei verschiedene Autoren das Gleiche beschrieben haben

Tschuss!
Sehr gut Abscate!

I found pictures in the workshop manual about the type 1 installation and the type 2 installation (also about the type 14 installation, where VW did reuse the type 2 picture)
In the type 1 picture you can see the bowden cable and the accelerator cable without any clip.
In the type 2 picture, the bowden cable is too short, to even reach the accelerator cable.
I then checked the parts books. There are two different bowden cables with 50mm or so difference in length, but both used on type 1 and both used on type 2.

This is my guess in a not so serious way:
Hans did write the 1969 type 2 parts book and got fired. He made a mistake with part number 113 129 919.
Franz did write the 1971 type 1 parts book, knowing, that Hans was fired because of 113 129 919. He didn't want to make the same mistake, so he changed the text from
"Clamp for accelerator cable and air cleaner cable sleeve" to
"Clamp for accelerator cable and cable sleeve at the carburetor"
he got fired too, because of today unknown reasons.

I will scan the images when I will have a free minute (probably after the camping trip).
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

My pump measured 6.0mm. Could it be, that I have the wrong one?

.5 mm or about .020" is more likely due to a slight change in the machining of the pump body bores for the gears and/or even due to a batch of gears that were a little short. Could even have been an effort to reduce cost by not using so much aluminum by thinning down that flange. Though why they have not removed those two top fins on the cover....

If the debris in the sump are brass, then it is most likely the distributor drive gear. Could be not a problem, only time will tell.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic he Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:

Something is seriously disintegrating.

Any indication, what this could be?
It's not magnetic and has a silver color -> probably aluminum.
My guess it is the cam gear.

You can peek in at the cam gears by removing the generator pedestal and deflector plate.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Camping trip was a full success !!!

Thank you to everybody for contributing to my thread and especially to Eric&Barb for the help with the filter pump.

Thanks Barry for the tip !

To keep my post in the time-line, pictures of the camping trip have to wait for now.

VW exchange beetle H engine from 1967

Before I did mount the pump I checked for the reason, I had to shorten the pump gear shaft.
The pump surface was milled a second time probably during the VW refurbish job.

The case is marked with a big P above the crank pulley which does indicate that the surfaces where the case halves met were milled flat too. This did reduce the distance of the pump studs too which was not a problem. I gave the special nuts in the filter arm enough space.
As you can see in this picture, the whole crank sits more to the left side of the engine (no optical illusion) which did gave me a lot of headaches during the rebuild of that engine (my first rebuild)

Mann oil filter was tightened down to 20Nm with hazet 2169

While the oil was drained, I also did measure the oil channels at the oil pressure valve, because I wanted to understand how this single valve with groove thing does work.
I made a few drawings, but will post that later in another post.

I also did a few steps of the normal service (not all of them):
Oil screen cleaned in gasoline
Oil filled to the max
Fresh 20W-20 oil for the cleaned air-cleaner
Checked fan belt
Checked valves. Two were out of range > 0.20mm and were corrected.
valve covers got new gaskets, because one was slightly bulked in.
Checked clutch end play.
Checked tire pressure (I run diagonal tires, so 2.0 in the front and 2.5 in the rear)

After that, I did put everything together and fired her up with my engine tester connected.

I checked oil pressure, while engine did warm up and then the whole rpm range, when engine did reach 75°C. This will also be captured in detail in a later post.

Then I checked dwell (48.1°), firing point (7.5°), idle (800 rpm) and CO (3.0) all spot on.

The next day we packed all the stuff in the bus and went for the trip.
Gas mileage was 10.8 liter per 100km or 21.8 miles per gallon. Travel speed was 90kph or 56mph and on the drive home sometimes 100kph or 62mph Shocked (keep in mind, that this engine is almost bone stock)

The engine and Bus did run great. Oil temperature was a tad higher because of the 26mm vs 21mm pump gear but still within a safe range. I measured oil temps during travel a few times with a digital meat thermometer in the dip stick hole and it was always in the 79°C to 81°C (174°F to 178°F) range
I could barely touch the dipstick compared to before I had the 26mm pump, but 178°F did not sound excessive high to me, so I kept the bus driving like a "normal" car and didn't baby her to the campground and back.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Good to hear it is working well!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: