Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

So I noticed a little drip under the right hand side of my engine. Upon investigation, I discovered that the VC had a small leak. No big deal. I have several extra gaskets in the attic. I removed the VC and removed the offending gasket. Lubed up the new one with some grease as suggested elsewhere on the samba and installed the VC.
Ah! Life's good again. Very Happy
Patting myself on the back for a job well done. I took the car for a fill up and country drive. All went well on the drive until.................. I noticed the green light on the speedo. Yep no oil pressure Mad This was after pulling into the driveway.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dammit! Shocked
So I pull the dipstick and find NO OIL ON IT! Dammit again. I look under the car and discover oil all over the right side of the engine and rear fender. Somewhere in Washington County there is about 3 qt's of oil deposited all over the road.

I pulled the right VC and discovered that the gasket had broken into 4 pieces. Evil or Very Mad

I decided to sleep on it and address the issue in the morning, more like this afternoon.
I removed the sump plate and screen. There was very little oil in there but I was somewhat relieved that it wasn't completely dry.
The sump plate has some flecks of bearing debris on it.

But the screen was free of any large shrapnel. I do have a filter downstream of the pump to catch debris.

I have to wait a couple of days for a new strainer screen and gaskets to arrive. Then I'll try to fire it and see what the condition is. If it sounds somewhat solid I may hold off on the tear down.
If it knock's, well shit!

This was the first time that I have tried grease on the VC gasket. Never again. I probably kinked it while applying the grease. But screw it, I'll just install it dry (as I always have) in the future and deal with the minuscule oil drip.

This post is more of a rant, than a help question.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

What kind of gaskets were they? Cork? Something else?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Cork. New from a individually sealed package. Made in Germany.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

I use to NEVER grease or glue the valve cover gaskets to the covers. I never had an issue over the decades. Then a year or two ago, I pulled into some friends house trailing oil. An older valve cover gasket had "shrunk" opening a gap for oil to escape/leak.

Now, I do glue the new valve cover gaskets with Indian shellac. Some veteran VW mechanics said the new gaskets are so terrible that gluing them in is the only thing that will keep them staying in place.

I also install new valve cover gaskets at each valve adjustment as well. I then fire the engine, let it get to temperature and make sure they are not leaking.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Sorry for the inane questions, but this really sounds strange to me.

You're saying that just a few hours after installing the gaskets, one of them broke in four places while driving, allowing the oil to leak out. And that you think the reason for the cracks was either faulty installation, or using grease.

I'm just finding it hard imagining what would have caused the gasket to break like that. Installation is very straightforward and I can't visualize how one could crack a soft cork gasket in four places just by fitting it to the VC and placing the VC on the head. Could it have been a manufacturing defect and the gasket was already cracked when you installed it...but you would have seen that when you put the gasket on.

Grease by itself wouldn't have caused the gasket to break. Nor thermal stress. And it wasn't dried out, since you said it came from a sealed package.

Very odd.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

It's on me. I think I kinked the gasket while applying the grease to it. I didn't think anything about it and installed it.
Once installed on the head, I wiggled it a bit to center it in place. I think that's where it broke into pieces. I have never used grease on a VC gasket and thought it might be a good idea to stop a persistent leak on the right side. Guess I thought wrong.
When I install them dry. They don't move around at all, once mated to the head. In this case I could move the VC all over the slop between the head flange and the edges of the VC.

79SuperVert wrote:
Sorry for the inane questions, but this really sounds strange to me.

You're saying that just a few hours after installing the gaskets, one of them broke in four places while driving, allowing the oil to leak out. And that you think the reason for the cracks was either faulty installation, or using grease.

I'm just finding it hard imagining what would have caused the gasket to break like that. Installation is very straightforward and I can't visualize how one could crack a soft cork gasket in four places just by fitting it to the VC and placing the VC on the head. Could it have been a manufacturing defect and the gasket was already cracked when you installed it...but you would have seen that when you put the gasket on.

Grease by itself wouldn't have caused the gasket to break. Nor thermal stress. And it wasn't dried out, since you said it came from a sealed package.

Very odd.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

I was intrigued because I just finished adjusting my valves this afternoon, and after reading your post I was in a tizzy!

I reused my gaskets this time around, because I adjust my valves twice a year and the gaskets are at most six months old, so they looked and felt OK to me (I don't use grease to put them on). Like you said, when the VC's go back on, they kind of snap-slip into place and can't be moved around, and when the bale goes on they are stuck on for good until the bale comes off. Seems like it was the grease that allowed you to unintentionally stretch them after putting them on.

I know, sounds like a tempest in a teapot, but that is one horribly simple way to destroy an engine.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

I remembered I took a picture of the shrinking gasket that leaked on my 67 bug. Note the gasket is curling up at the bottom of the valve cover. This is where it leaked.

This is why I now glue them in place. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:

I know, sounds like a tempest in a teapot, but that is one horribly simple way to destroy an engine.

That might be the quote of the day there.
Yep a $3 dollar part took out a 3K engine. Maybe, We'll see later this week.

I have read many of your posts. I'm sure that you have taken the time to make sure that your engine is in tip top shape before taking it for a drive.
I my case, I didn't notice the green light until I was home. <<< Shame on me!

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

I use rubber cement on one side, grease (a VERY light smear, almost rubbed off with a paper towel, just enough they can move against the head as I position them and tighten the bale).

I can't imagine grease did this. I used to use grease on both sides until the new ones seem to not fit quite as well without the glue.

It is also odd that it broke cleanly and symmetrically like that. Something else must be at work here.

Speculation aside, I hope and expect that your engine is okay. Loss of pressure means it ran out of oil of course, but there should have been a film there providing at least SOME lubrication right up to that point. Fingers crossed!

Another side note... no oil drain plug? You have a remote filter but still remove the screen to change/drain oil?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I can't imagine grease did this. I used to use grease on both sides until the new ones seem to not fit quite as well without the glue.

Another side note... no oil drain plug? You have a remote filter but still remove the screen to change/drain oil?

I don't normally(like never) remove the screen. I just loosen the sump nuts and let it drain into the oil pan. In this case I wanted to see what was going on. If I had huge chunks of shit in the screen, I would have the engine on the garage floor. I didn't see anything that makes me want to do that ATM. But, until I fire it in a couple of day's. I just don't know what the current condition is.

We'll see soon enough.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

In the hopes that it is not ruined, I'd check the valves before putting the new covers on. I think I'd take the coil hot lead off, and crank it until the oil light goes out. Only then would I fire it up. It may be a lost cause (perish the thought), but this gives you the best chance to minimize any further damage.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Yeah, here's hoping no damage was done and all you had was a bad scare.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Post oil changes, I always follow this procedure. I build oil pressure before an engine start. That way I make sure the the filter is full and not leaking past the O-ring.
I just didn't check it after the gasket install, beyond the cursory glance under the engine.
KTPhil wrote:
I think I'd take the coil hot lead off, and crank it until the oil light goes out.

jssweatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

You did say you got the valve cover from your attic....could they have dried out and become brittle up there? The breaks almost appear to show that.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

This makes me want to install a VDO oil pressure gauge. I'm thinking a good gauge would be cheap insurance and allow one to catch the issue much earlier.

Good luck and I hope your engine is okay.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I use to NEVER grease or glue the valve cover gaskets to the covers. I never had an issue over the decades. Then a year or two ago, I pulled into some friends house trailing oil. An older valve cover gasket had "shrunk" opening a gap for oil to escape/leak.

This looks real bad to me, I never would have even tried it. The gaskets used from the attic by original poster were bad, and I doubt that the grease contributed to that. I might add then change the oil after a few miles to flush out remaining cork pieces; if he's cheap, he could filter out the pieces and re-sue that flush oil.

The only time I've EVER used any sealer/adhesive on my cork gaskets has been occasionally at the top center to hold the gasket in place as I installed it.

Yes, I confess that I have re-used my cork gaskets too, have never had a significant leak there.

I've never tried non-cork gaskets. My valve covers and bails are original.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I personally I run a 7qt system with sump, FF, and By-pass filter and drop the strainer plate every time.
OCD? Rolling Eyes
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Post oil changes, I always follow this procedure. I build oil pressure before an engine start. That way I make sure the the filter is full and not leaking past the O-ring.
I just didn't check it after the gasket install, beyond the cursory glance under the engine.
KTPhil wrote:
I think I'd take the coil hot lead off, and crank it until the oil light goes out.

I always fill the FF filter while performing the normal steps for the oil change. My By-pass filter gets filled up during the first minute of running.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

This looks real bad to me, I never would have even tried it.

It does look bad. This valve cover gasket fit snuggly all the way around when it was installed. It shrunk up (that what the picture shows) and caused the leak.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: