Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Since the "farm road" VC gasket replacement. I have put another 200 miles on the engine. From Corvalis, Or to home and to Kelso, Wa, for a show today.
I did not see one drop of oil under the engine after hours of sitting.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

So I fixed the VC gasket issue. I welded a tab on the inside of the VC and the gasket stayed in place ever since.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So tonight on the way to work. I get to a traffic signal and scan the dash. I noticed that the oil pressure light in glowing at me again. I pulled over and checked the oil level and it is way above the middle mark. Start the engine again and the damn light is still on. No leaks under the engine, so I can rule out a leaking VC.

At break I went to the car and removed the VDO pressure sensor and the HT lead from the coil and placed a rag below where the sensor should be.
Cranked the engine and had a look. I was expecting to see oil all over the left side of the engine compartment. To my shock there was just a smallish puddle on the rag. I cranked it a bit longer and did get a little shot further away. But still on the shop rag. What should I expect when testing this way?
Anyone ever had a VDO dual pole sensor go bad on both poles?

Looks more and more like a tear down is in my future. Thankfully I have a spare 1500 SP I can install and keep driving.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Did the light go out when you revved it up?
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
Did the light go out when you revved it up?

Sadly no it did not go out when gently revved.

turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

That truly sucks..... Sorry to hear that news
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Just an un-educated .02 Smile , could the oil pressure relief be stuck or somehow not working, causing the low pressure reading?

Good luck and sorry you're having so much trouble with this.

Ted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Found the problem. Shocked

I have never had one do this.

I have had rather high oil pressure. Like 45+ at cruise.

Can that be the cause of this damage?
Running 10w/30w synthetic. For several months now and until last night other than the VC gasket issue I have been happy.

I suppose I need a new filter pump in order to get good pump gears again.

Bummer!

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

Looks like the shaft spun in the gear and walked out. By that second picture, it looks like a lot. How much space was between the gear and the cover? Engagement depth looks like it was too shallow as well. Set the engagement depth by using a press on the gear shaft. When it's good, hit the shaft/gear with a small tack weld to keep it from walking out or spinning inside the gear.

Hopefully you can get these oiling issues fixed before the engine sufferers too much damage.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Found the problem. Shocked

I have never had one do this.

I suppose I need a new filter pump in order to get good pump gears again.

Bummer!

Hmmm - might that be an oil pump that was made for flat camshaft gear (3-rivet) used in an engine with a dished 4-rivet camshaft gear? Because I've seen that same thing happen before.

The shorter gear from the earlier pump WILL work fine for a while until it wears away like in your photo. For the one I found where this had happened, had run for a few years before it suddenly went out and oil pressure went to zero. The fix for that in that instance was a replacement gear for a dished camshaft pump (scavenged from a new basic oil pump for dished cam that had same gear length).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dougsbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New VC gasket, now a much bigger issue Reply with quote

What's the slot in the camshaft look like ... beat up?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: