Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kadron air filter cover vibrating loose on 3/4 side
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: kadron air filter cover vibrating loose on 3/4 side Reply with quote

I had someone do a very budget 'refresh' of a 1776 last summer and since I've had trouble with the wing nut for the kadron air filter vibrating loose and stripping the air cleaner stud on the 3/4 side.

There does seem to be a high frequency vibration to the engine but it other wise seems to be running well.

The engine is a 10mm stud case with stock non counterweighted crank and stock cam. 009 distributor.
The filters are empi cheapo ones with the wing nuts.
Its the 'standard' kadrons 40's and has a balance tube. I think I have main jets that are 127.5's.

The engine 'refresh' I think was the heads redone, and new lifters + pistons and cylinders.

What can I look at to diagnose this? Or should I just put a lock nut on the filter cover and move on?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: kadron air filter cover vibrating loose on 3/4 side Reply with quote

What is simplest solution?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: kadron air filter cover vibrating loose on 3/4 side Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
What is simplest solution?

Dale

not drive it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: kadron air filter cover vibrating loose on 3/4 side Reply with quote

In racing prep we put a dab of silicone on one side of the nut. It's stops hardware from loosening and walking off. Or double jam nut if there is room.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: kadron air filter cover vibrating loose on 3/4 side Reply with quote

eazy fix. use a rubber washer under the nut.I use hurricane wing nuts with built in washers and....there chrome so they got to be faster. the rubber gets traction like the tires do.no spin. and you dont ever have to over tighten it and squash the shit out of the filter....like oh somany I see at car shows&meets.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: kadron air filter cover vibrating loose on 3/4 side Reply with quote

I do this on all of my own cars (3) with kads. Put a nut on under the top cover - you can either loctite it or double nut it (I double nut). Then use a wavy washer on top. Then put on the cover and use a wingnut with that. Have not had an issue ever since.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: kadron air filter cover vibrating loose on 3/4 side Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I do this on all of my own cars (3) with kads. Put a nut on under the top cover - you can either loctite it or double nut it (I double nut). Then use a wavy washer on top. Then put on the cover and use a wingnut with that. Have not had an issue ever since.

Yup, double nut under the lid, lock washer and wingnut on top.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: