Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
End play is adjusted by shims and the flywheel being bolted on.

You do have three shims in there right? Three is the magic lubricated yet non leaking number........

Dave

I understand that end play is adjusted with the flywheel bolted on and torqued but will the crank move when there is nothing there?

Yes I currently have all three shims on there including the weird retaining shim. I posted this in my search of a new "B" shim:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667274&highlight=

The old one that was in there was bowled out. It was recommended to me that I replace it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

WBX excessive end play is usually a non issue.

Yes, you can literally move the crank forward and back.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

If you can move it back and forth once you've put the shims in and bolted it up, its got excess play. I literally just did this yesterday and I'll try to describe it.

Freshly machined block/new bearings. With all shims out, I could move it about 1/16th inch (using measurements you can relate to - I was measuring to the thousandths). With two shims in (large one closest to block) plus the washer with the bent tang against the block, I could barely move it - about .016" which is barely noticable. Then when the 3rd shim is installed, I was in spec but could not feel any movement due to the oil between them for install but it was correct factory spec.

So, a 1/4" of movement WITH the shims in is kinda huge and would definitely explain why you have leaks recurring.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

That answers my question about the end play. Doug, the "1/4" end play I was getting was with the shims off. The end play with the shims on is much less. I was just concerned that I had too much play with the shims off but that sounds normal according to you.

So I'm still not 100% sure why I continue to get leaks and it sounds like I'll have to redo the whole thing Sad.

1. End play set correctly
2. All three shims in
3. Flywheel oring is in
4. Felt ring is in
5. GoWesty's main seal
6. Seal sits flush with the case

It sounds to me like I am installing everything correctly right?

If this is accurate the leak should not be coming from the seal. So it leaves the plugs right? What about the nuts and bolts that hold the case together? Could I tighten those up to be sure? I didn't want to do it while I was in there because I didn't know. Should I just JB weld all the plugs to be safe?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

You are putting the flywheel o-ring into the groove inside the bore of the flywheel aren't you? Some people don't realize there is an old o-ring in the groove and just set the o-ring into the bore where it gets squished flat.

Places the case can leak besides the rear main seal.

-Cam plug
-Case seam
-Oil galley plugs
-Cracks in case

You can also get leakage from the transmission input shaft seal.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You are putting the flywheel o-ring into the groove inside the bore of the flywheel aren't you? Some people don't realize there is an old o-ring in the groove and just set the o-ring into the bore where it gets squished flat.

Places the case can leak besides the rear main seal.

-Cam plug
-Case seam
-Oil galley plugs
-Cracks in case

You can also get leakage from the transmission input shaft seal.

This is a "new" flywheel from GoWesty so when I received it I put in a new oring.

-Cam plug - to fix a leak here would mean splitting the case right?
-Case seam - Can I tighten the nuts and bolts that hold it together? If so, what torque spec?
-Oil galley plugs - This goes back to my OP. Sounds like I cant tap them out without splitting the case or I can introduce shavings into the bearings, right?
-Cracks in case - This would suck... I would need a new engine right?

Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

I think the 8M bolts for the case get torqued to something like 15 ft*lbs.

It is really hard to figure out where a leak behind the flywheel is actually coming from. You may just have to live with it if you are unwilling to split the case. Eventually your clutch is likely going to start to chatter from the oil though if the leak continues.
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

Have you checked if the oil can drain back to the sump? The is a small drain at the bottom and an air gap at the top, theses must be totaly clear, if you have had the engine rebuild, sometimes there is too much sealend in them galarys and it wont let oil return fast enough, use compressed air to blow through each one and make sure there totally clear.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Another Oil Leak. Oil Galley Plugs? Reply with quote

marcotheturbosteamengine wrote:
Have you checked if the oil can drain back to the sump? The is a small drain at the bottom and an air gap at the top, theses must be totaly clear, if you have had the engine rebuild, sometimes there is too much sealend in them galarys and it wont let oil return fast enough, use compressed air to blow through each one and make sure there totally clear.

You know what... I didn't check for that. I will the next time I have to replace the seal or take the tranny out.

You mean the holes that are behind the shims and seal right? I vaguely remember some holes there.

Wildthings wrote:
I think the 8M bolts for the case get torqued to something like 15 ft*lbs.

It is really hard to figure out where a leak behind the flywheel is actually coming from. You may just have to live with it if you are unwilling to split the case. Eventually your clutch is likely going to start to chatter from the oil though if the leak continues.

I will try to tighten those down to spec. I just hope it doesn't cause more harm for some reason.

Sounds like two things need to happen. I grow some balls to take the engine out and rebuilt it or I grow some balls and do a conversion. Either way I have to grow some balls Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: