Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Looking for information for the proper white color for pastel green 2 tone wheels, The car of the century book does list the inner disk color as L87 Pearl white, I've heard a few folks raise doubt to if that is accurate info. as L87 is more commonly considered a mid to late 60's color.
What do the Folks of the Samba think ?

Last edited by empiracer on Wed May 10, 2017 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green wheel color Reply with quote

I believe it is L71 lichtbeige.

do you mean for your zwitter? pastel green split dash cars had single tone light green wheels.

car of the century is notoriously inaccurate unfortunately Mad
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green wheel color Reply with quote

sled wrote:

do you mean for your zwitter? pastel green split dash cars had single tone light green wheels.

Yep this quest for info is for the Zwitter

this is found in the Technical section , I am thinking L16 light green is for the single color wheels on Split Dash cars and not 10/52- 12/53 as the card reads
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

When it says "wheel disc", is it referring to the inner portion?

That would look good
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Yes, light green is in this case only for the center wheel. The rim would be in body colour. In the early days, VW did mention the disc colour only, if the wheel rim was body coloured. Otherwise they mentioned both, wheel rim and wheel disc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Dare we say that the wheels should be 2 tone green L11 / L16 and not the off white color people have been painting them for years ?
Does anybody have an original paint rim to show as evidence?
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

empiracer wrote:
Dare we say that the wheels should be 2 tone green L11 / L16 and not the off white color people have been painting them for years ?

It looks like that's what the literature is saying. My 2¢ is that it would look great.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green wheel color Reply with quote

sled wrote:

Garwood corrected the color charts in 1987 and later printings of Volume 1. There are still errors, but not as many as in the first printing.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

empiracer wrote:

The point that many people do something over years does not tell they did it right...

... how many owners of '50 splits and older have two tone rims on their export-models? There is enough evidence today that this is wrong.

Nothing to say against someones another taste, but they would be wrong telling, the car had been delivered that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

My 11/'50 has two single tone wheels and two two tone wheels. I know at one point in its life two wheels were swapped. So till what month and year did they went with two tone wheels??
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

The year and month is not clear, there is also no M-Code available which would state one could have had a chance to choose two tone coloured wheels as an option at any time. We know pictures or films from '49 / '50, where export models leave the factory with semi tone wheels and black semaphores, regardless which body colour they have. The models from '51 are another thing, they switched to body coloured semaphores and black tanks, additional trim for windscreen and introducing also the crotch cooler in the fist half of year. Togehther with it, we see pictures of these cars with two tone wheels.

You did note the existing thread about this? I tried to find an answer for this question, but it is stil not really at the end:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597810
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Hello I have a November 1952 Zwitter that is Pastel Green It is in original paint. Here are some pictures of the original 15" riveted wheels in light green. Mine are only single tone and not 2 tone. Although I think 2 tone Pastel with the light green inserts would look pretty nice. Looks like the backs were painted black?

Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Have you seen this?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597810&highlight=wheel+single+tone

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:

Wow thanks for sharing
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

So, I am trying to get a little of this paint mixed. I gave the paint shop the VW paint code number of L16. They can't find a match to it. Has anyone recently had any of this mixed and have a different more recent manufacturer's paint code?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
empiracer wrote:

The point that many people do something over years does not tell they did it right...

... how many owners of '50 splits and older have two tone rims on their export-models? There is enough evidence today that this is wrong.

Nothing to say against someones another taste, but they would be wrong telling, the car had been delivered that way.

I had a 1950 11G and recall the wheels were 2 tone green with a painted, single darker pinstripe on the inner smoothie part...when I repainted the car in 1977, I painted the wheels one shade of green, the same as the body... just looed nicer.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Alika
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Joshua,
The colors are available in the Glassurit 22 Line.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Alika wrote:
Joshua,
The colors are available in the Glassurit 22 Line.

Alika is right, I partially repainted my original L11 car, Glasurit matches absolutely, so I strongly recommend using their paint! Here you find the L11 body with L16 rims:

direct comparison:

Comparison original paint L11 with Glasurit L11

And an original car leaving the factory with these colours in 1949:

empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Here's a shot of my wheels painted in the glasurit 22 line L16 / L11
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pastel green 2 tone wheel colors Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Yeah the only paint shop that we have here has that line and it is very expensive. We ended up with a very close match from a different line. I have four original paint rims, but two were unfortunately bent pretty good. I know I can straighten them, but my car is a survivor car, and I am running 356 drum brakes. The rivoits hit the brakes a bit so I am running some welded 15’s now that don’t require tubes either. Will set my originals aside for later on down the road. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: