Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Replaced my turn signal switch and need to know what wires to connect- specifically I have a Red with no compatible wire to connect it with- thank you
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Have you checked the wiring diagrams in the technical section?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Quote:
specifically I have a Red with no compatible wire

Here is a photo of the turn signal unit. No red wire Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

The one I ordered from partsgeek actually had a red wire attached- but I noticed on the original signal that the PO had snipped it off
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

The '68-'70 turn signal switch is relatively simple.

There are two brown wires for the dimmer switch at the base of the turn signal lever. The solid brown goes to a ground point. The brown/white goes to the "S" terminal on the dimmer relay.

The turn signal switch is made of three (3) wires.
    black/green/white - INPUT from the flasher relay
    black/green - OUTPUT to right side turn lamps
    black/white - OUTPUT to left side turn lamps

The newer replacement switches come with an extra set of three grey wires for European cars that need an extra turn signal switch circuit for side lamps (non-blinking). You can see from runamoc's pic, the left side switch has the extra three contacts, but the wires have been removed. For US-vehicles, these extra wires can be wound up and set aside, or cut and removed.

Where does your red wire run? My guess would be it is one of the dimmer switch wires? OR one of the spare grey wires.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Ok thanks got that! Now I'm directing my attention to the fuel sensor gauge-
I have one black sheathed brown wire running from tank to speedometer - gas needle drops to E midway - any recommended test for this?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Quote:
gas needle drops to E midway

You need a new sending unit located in the tank. It's on top of the tank and 5 screws hold it in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Once out of the tank, the sending unit can be checked for ohms resistance throughout its movement. Should be gradual change with no open spots.

I just replaced the fuel sender in my 1970, in my resurrection thread.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
fightclub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

are the ohms readings from a fuel sender in bugs linear? i had to "tune" a fuel sender for my falcon and it was a pita since it wasnt linear. (not hijacking the thread, just bringing up a troubleshooting point)
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Finished wiring turn signal switch but overlooked one- question I don't want to fight taking it and putting in the rear seat so could I just connect the wires with the battery hooked up?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

just lift up the seat and take off the neg cable no need to take the seat out Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
bush5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Your sending unit may not be bad. Here's a quick and easy check to see if it's the sending unit or the Fuel Gauge Vibrator/Voltage Stabilizer (on the back of the instrument cluster).

The fuel gauge circuit has three components. The gauge, the voltage stabilizer (on back of instrument cluster), and the fuel sending unit (on the tank).
1- You need a 12v source to the gauge, via the speedo bulb thin black wire. It's the black wire that goes to the Voltage Stabilizer.
2- Look at the two nuts on the back of the gas gauge. They often come loose causing intermittent gauge ops.
3- Ground the brown sending unit wire momentarily and the gauge should go to full. This test splits the possibility in defective parts down the middle depending on what happens here. If it goes to full, then your gauge and the Voltage Stabilizer are good and your fuel sender unit is broken. If not, then the opposite, the problem is the gauge or the Voltage Stabilizer. Quick easy test.

I had similar issues with mine. Sometimes my gauge would say half on a full tank, register correctly, or not work at all. What I did on mine was take off the Voltage Stabilizer and clean the contacts (they were pretty corroded).
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

I did try the grounding test and the gas needle topped at full- so I put in another sensor switch and I still don't get any fuel gauge readings??
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Speaking of wiring - I have some issues

Notice in third pic the brown wire running from fuel tank sensor- I put in new sensor but still no needle movement- ground tested the wire and fuel gauge topped out at full.
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Caught my attention- how do you connect 4 wires to the #1 fuse?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

KSKI wrote:
Speaking of wiring - I have some issues

Crying or Very sad
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Quote:
I did try the grounding test and the gas needle topped at full- so I put in another sensor switch and I still don't get any fuel gauge readings??

The test of your fuel gauge shows it is working. It demonstrates that when your tank is full the resistance thru the fuel tank sensor to ground is (nearly) zero. As the tank gets more and more empty the resistance rises and your gauge shows a lower level of fuel.

If your gauge does not move from the "E" when you connect your fuel sensor and your ignition is ON, then that brown wire has no path to ground.

I had a similar problem when I added a seal under the lip of the tank. You would expect that the fuel sensor would ground thru the screws that hold it to the tank and then thru the tank to the bolts that hold the tank down. But my tank had a nice new coat of paint and paint is not a conductor. I ended up scratching away the paint below one of the hold down brackets to get a good ground.
Thinking back on it now, an easier and better solution would have been to run a dedicated ground wire (brown) from one of the screws that holds the sensor into the tank and ground it behind the dash at one of the dedicated ground points.

KSKI wrote:
...specifically I have a Red with no compatible wire to connect it with...

Not to change the subject, but did you ever ID what the red wire was for? It could be useful for the next person who buys an aftermarket switch and finds a red wire that doesn't show up in the wiring diagrams. Part of the way this site works it to SHARE the solutions to your problems so others can benefit.
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Ashman- I asked partsgeek about the red wire- they will get back to me--I need an ID please- the double ground wire in one pic and the small metal box in the other pic--thanks----also I tried running a ground wire from the fuel sensor cap to a dedicated ground but still no needle movement in fuel needle

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

KSKI wrote:
Ashman- I asked partsgeek about the red wire- they will get back to me--

runamoc posted the above pic. You can see there are either 5 or 8 wires depending on the make of the turn signal assembly. But in both cases there are two wires at the top of the switch (top as pictured). These two wires are for the dimmer switch.
At the bottom of the assemblies you have either three or six wires. All related to the turn signal switch. For US cars three of these wires are not needed.
Was the red wire connected to the top part or the bottom part for the assembly? If you have an EXTRA wire and it was connected elsewhere... you probably have the wrong turn signal switch assembly.

KSKI wrote:
I need an ID please- the double ground wire in one pic and the small metal box in the other pic--thanks----

Those brown wires are ground wires. There were many behind the dash. While there is a specific way they are meant to be connected, in general if a devices needs to be grounded and it has a #31 terminal, connect a brown wire to it and make sure that brown wire is grounded somewhere along it's path. Many devices can be daisy-chained to a single ground point. There should be a brown wire that jumps from the Brake Warning Lamp, to the wiper switch and then to the steering column. See if the #31 terminal on the wiper switch has a missing brown wire?

That "metal box" is the headlight dimmer relay. There should be a yellow wire running from 56a to the INPUT side of the fuse box for the low beam fuses. That white from the F terminal should run to the high beam fuse (INPUT side). There should be a white wire running between the #56 terminal and the #56 terminal on the headlight switch.

KSKI wrote:
also I tried running a ground wire from the fuel sensor cap to a dedicated ground but still no needle movement in fuel needle

Use your multimeter and test the resistance thru the fuel tank sensor. Place one test lead on the terminal, the other on the body of the fuel tank sensor. As you move the float up/down do you get varying resistance? If not, your tank sensor is bad.
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch wiring in 1969 bug Reply with quote

Was inspecting the signal switch when with the key off I started the car by turning the signal arm????Now the starter doesn't work no click even
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: